Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Bad Experience with buying a new TOAD and base plate!!! Buyer beware!!

Hello Everyone,

I want to take a few minutes to explain what happened to me over the past few weeks which lead up to a total bust today. '
My wife and I recently went full time in our 40 foot diesel pusher.

We were initially towing a chevy 4x4 flat towing with a blue ox base plate and tow bar.

I had towed the truck over 2500 miles and never had a problem till we went full time and moved almost all of our possessions into our MH which of course overloaded it.

So after figuring out how much I was over weight we decided to go buy a new toad and trade in my truck for a lighter vehicle.

After days of research and reading on all the forums we picked a 2016 Chevy Malibu. Now first off let me say that we test drove a number of really nice cars, but this one got our two thumbs up. It can be flat towed!!

So, I wanted to stay with the Blue Ox products and checked on their website to make sure they had a plate that would fit it. The web site indicated they did have a base plate for it.

I contacted an RV dealer/service center in the San Antonio area where we are currently camping and asked them if they could get one for my soon to be new purchase. They said they could have it the next day.

The parts manager even checked with me to get the production code on my new car to help ensure we had the right base plate.

I went forward with the purchase and bought the car. We made our appointment at the service dept and had fun driving our new car around for a few days.

We were told they needed a day and half to put the new plate on because they needed to disassemble the front of the car to mount it on my new car.

So, we rented a car and dropped off our new car for the install yesterday afternoon.

Today the service manager called me to tell me that the Blue Ox base plate they had in the shop would NOT fit my new car!!!!!

We talked it out and I eventually dropped by the service dept and met with the manager. He explained that his mechanic had the car up on the lift and about to begin work today when he started looking over the install instructions and realized that the base plate from Blue Ox would not fit my new car.

The manager called Blue Ox and talked to them. They told him to stop the install immediately and wait for them to call back with instructions.

They eventually returned the call and explained there was some sort of mistake and they explained that they do NOT have a base plate to fit the 2016 Chevy Malibu as was indicated on their website. They explained that they would gladly build and install a base plate on my new car IF I would drive my car to their factory in Nebraska.

So, there I was standing in front of the manager with my mouth open in total disbelief at what had transpired over the past few days.

I bought a new car!!!

I thought I was going to get a base plate for it and now.....I'm looking for a tow dolly.

I had posted a question on here a few days ago asking what opinions there were out there about the pros and cons of flat towing or a tow dolly.

I received a number of helpful comments and was pleased that I had made the right decision.

So, now I'm forced to get a tow dolly regardless of wanting to flat tow until Blue Ox and Roadmaster make one for my new car.

So, my advice to all those who are in the market for a toad to tow and a base plate to install.....make darn sure they have the right one in stock and that it fits!!!!!!

I can't blame anyone for this other than myself. I should have checked into this a little more I suppose. I guess I should not have assumed I was actually getting what was advertised.

So, any suggestions on really good tow dollys?

Thanks everyone for your time!!
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Seeing how you have gone full time what is preventing you from going to Nebraska and getting the work done at the manufactures shop. Other than having to drive the car there I could see this being a better solution than buying a dolly. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

I would go to Nebraska. They say they can build one I'd take them up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
Psomaki

Really sorry at all you're being put through. Since Blue Ox clearly misrepresented their product both to the general public and to the dealer/garage to whom they sold the inappropriate unit, I'd guess they have a legal obligation to do more than just offer to "build one" if you'll make a long, potentially expensive trip. Two thoughts - first, at least they should be willing to refund your money and pay whatever it takes to put your new car back in original condition. You might then consider a different manufacturer. I see Roadmaster (we love our Roadmaster flat tow equipment) offers four different kits for four different 2016 Malibus, but not for all Malibus. Or, Blue Ox should pay ALL your expenses (and I mean all) to drive to Nebraska for them to fabricate a plate. They might resist discharging their responsibility, but chances are good that you could sue them and win. What a shame to have to put up with all this though. Best of luck!
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #5

Why not rent a Uhaul tow dolly and take the car to Blue Ox.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #6

If you take the car to Blue OX they will fab and install the Base Plate at no cost to you. I would take the drive and have them settle with the shop for there work that they did. Its a lot better than messing with the tow dolly. They also have an RV park at the factory while you car is being worked on at not charge.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Why not rent a Uhaul tow dolly and take the car to Blue Ox.
X's 2 instead of buying one...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 AM   #8

Yes! ^^^^^^ Youroo!!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #9

Rent a tow dolly and head for Nebraska! ROAD TRIP WITH A PURPOSE! Best kind! and they will have a template for the car you have so you will be helping others AND you will have a great story to tell, call em up and go!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
If you take the car to Blue OX they will fab and install the Base Plate at no cost to you. I would take the drive and have them settle with the shop for there work that they did. Its a lot better than messing with the tow dolly. They also have an RV park at the factory while you car is being worked on at not charge.
This is definitely your answer! Several years ago I did exactly this with a Demco base plate. We drove to their plant in Iowa, parked in their campground while they spent a couple of days designing and fabricating a base plate for my new VW Beetle.
There was NO COST to me and it easily paid for my trip. DO IT- don't let a few days in Nebraska dissuade you, it'll beat the he-- out of using a dolly for several/many years to come!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

I don't think Blue Ox intentionally misrepresented the product. A human employe made a mistake by listing your vehicle as comparable. They are offering to do the right thing. Take them up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

I would take the factory up on their offer. I think you can rent a dolly from "U-Haul". If not, the a trailer or have the DW drive. I tow a 2007 Malibu with a Blu Ox setup and it's a great combo.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X's 2 instead of buying one...
X3 you are Fulltimers - besides, you know you have always wanted to visit Nebraska....

Go to U-Haul, get a dolly, hook up and enjoy the drive to NE for your free custom installed base plate
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Don't jump too fast. Last time GM pushed sales on a vehicle to MH owners based on it being flat towable (Chevy Cruze) all was well for about six months. That was when GM decided to issue a TSB saying that flat towing the vehicle would void the warranty! Sorry for your troubles, but that's why I'm so up on the Jeep Wrangler.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #15

Blue Ox

I remember when I purchased my 2012 Fiat Abarth for use as a toad behind my class C. They did not have one built for it yet. They told me if I drove it to Nebraska they would build one free of charge. From California it was not worth it. I instead bought a Roadmaster and used their adapter for my Blue Ox tow bar. Works perfect.
rvfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #16
Gold Miner At Heart

First as suggested I would double check on the warranty issue first. Then if you want to make the trip; go for it and check ahead to see if they will reimburse you for driving out. I use to use a tow dolly and it wasn't that big of deal. But, I wasn't full timing either.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psomaki View Post
Really sorry at all you're being put through. Since Blue Ox clearly misrepresented their product both to the general public and to the dealer/garage to whom they sold the inappropriate unit, I'd guess they have a legal obligation to do more than just offer to "build one" if you'll make a long, potentially expensive trip. Two thoughts - first, at least they should be willing to refund your money and pay whatever it takes to put your new car back in original condition. You might then consider a different manufacturer. I see Roadmaster (we love our Roadmaster flat tow equipment) offers four different kits for four different 2016 Malibus, but not for all Malibus. Or, Blue Ox should pay ALL your expenses (and I mean all) to drive to Nebraska for them to fabricate a plate. They might resist discharging their responsibility, but chances are good that you could sue them and win. What a shame to have to put up with all this though. Best of luck!
Sue?
Really?
The manufacturer made a perfectly reasonable offer!

So many television and billboard ads just prove that we have too many attorneys in this country, attempting to fabricate any case for their own monetary gain. Must be working, many have joined their cause.

I would also make a road trip out of this opportunity, as many others have stated.
(Rant over. I will now step away from my soapbox.)
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #18

Bad Experience with buying a new TOAD and base plate!!! Buyer beware!!

Lol.
Really!!??! Sue them? For what!!

Give your head a shake.

They made a very generous offer.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Blue OX is an awesome company they will correct the problem you have. I was always satisfied withe their products. I hope they help you out and fix the problem you have.
Happy full timing.
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #20

Let us know if you go to Blue Ox to get the base plate made. I also have a 2016 Malibu and was going to get the Blue Ox base plate as I forgot to get the one that was installed on my 2014 Malibu.. Their site says that they have the save part numbers, but obviously they made a mistake..

Let us know what the out come..

Thanks,
Bruce
El Paso, TX
bmaggin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad