Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #21

Bags all the way. Like Coot mentioned, it is easy, especially with the onboard air and cab control. I love being able to make changes to the pressures on the fly if the road surfaces change.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #22

I have had both and they both work equally well and provide the same outcome. No issues with either. If I done it again I would choose Timbrens . Here's why. Took me about 5 hours to install air bags with no compressor and about 20 minutes to install Timbrens. Air bags cost about 2 1/2 times more. With those 2 statements , it becomes a no brainer. That's the beauty of knowledge and experience of trying both.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #23

Her is the best of both worlds in one product. The AIRLIFTER LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate with a jounce bumper in the air spring. See Link below

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/

I have the Airlifter 5000 but my bags are 5 years old, so they do not incorporate the jounce bumper.

Jim
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I have had both and they both work equally well and provide the same outcome. No issues with either. If I done it again I would choose Timbrens . Here's why. Took me about 5 hours to install air bags with no compressor and about 20 minutes to install Timbrens. Air bags cost about 2 1/2 times more. With those 2 statements , it becomes a no brainer. That's the beauty of knowledge and experience of trying both.
The only problem is with Timbrens, you get what you got with not control, with airbags you control what you get. BIG difference in my opinion/experience. Airbags and compressor well worth the extra expense.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The only problem is with Timbrens, you get what you got with not control, with airbags you control what you get. BIG difference in my opinion/experience. Airbags and compressor well worth the extra expense.

OC, Unless you have it, it's no good. A theme I detect. Does it really make a difference if you put 4 or 5 lbs of pressure or if you use 60 or 62 lbs of pressure. The control of that pressure is of no value. With Timbrens, if they are required depending on load, they come in play, if not required, they won't come in play.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #26

" if you put 4 or 5 lbs of pressure or if you use 60 or 62 lbs of pressure" .....WRONG.
it makes all the difference in the world....take a stiff sprung truck..350/3500...when the back is empty, at 80lbs in the tires you'll have one hell of an uncomfortable ride...drop the psi to 50 .... a very tolerable ride....same thing with firestone airbags...been there done that...have timbrens now...wish I didn't.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
....take a stiff sprung truck..350/3500....

You said stiff and sprung...

sorry... i had to...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OC, Unless you have it, it's no good. A theme I detect. Does it really make a difference if you put 4 or 5 lbs of pressure or if you use 60 or 62 lbs of pressure. The control of that pressure is of no value. With Timbrens, if they are required depending on load, they come in play, if not required, they won't come in play.
That's where you are wrong, with 5# there is no action at all but with 60#, it will lift the rear end at least 2" and I can put 1000#in the bed and still not touch the overload, only bring the height down to where it is without a load. On this my friend, you know not of what you speak.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #29

Quote:
That's where you are wrong, with 5# there is no action at all but with 60#, it will lift the rear end at least 2" and I can put 1000#in the bed and still not touch the overload, only bring the height down to where it is without a load. On this my friend, you know not of what you speak.

I know your a well respected , long term member of this forum and many believe what you speak is gospel, and I also agree to much what you say, however, the point I am making , and the one you keep missing is that air bags and timbrens provide the same outcome. That being the case, why spend the extra, and take on the extra work of installation for air bags when timbrens can provide the same thing. Unlike you, I have the experience of using both. Therefore , 'my friend', as it relates to this, I can speak with 100% confidence compared to your 50%.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #30

""I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them" I see what you mean Rugged.
what say we drop this.......no resolution here......my strong opinion !

deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #31

Quote:
I know your a well respected , long term member of this forum and many believe what you speak is gospel, and I also agree to much what you say, however, the point I am making , and the one you keep missing is that air bags and timbrens provide the same outcome. That being the case, why spend the extra, and take on the extra work of installation for air bags when timbrens can provide the same thing. Unlike you, I have the experience of using both. Therefore , 'my friend', as it relates to this, I can speak with 100% confidence compared to your 50%.
I do tend to agree with you Rugged on your stance with OC's word being well respected on the forum here. He and I have different opinions on topics as well but rightfully so. Each are allowed their opinions biased or not.

OC, Turbs and I have all butted heads in the past as well all have our own opinions. Turbs actually offered up his phone number to me to chat a while back to assist me in building my own set of awning poles.

Guys like OC and Turbs have obviously been around the camping world a long time and have a ton of experience for which I have a ton of respect. Doesn't mean people always have to agree exactly how to do things...

Now that we have gone completely off topic, i will steer it back in saying that regardless of timbrens or air bags i'm sure the majority of people would agree they accomplish the same tasks. As you mentioned the benefit of the timbrens is the lower cost, easier install and require no user interface. Air bags shine in the fact that they are infinitely adjustable which can be a huge factor for different road surfaces...

Arguing which is better would be like arguing about truck brands, ultimately one style isn't going to fit everyone... (but dodge is the best fyi...)

Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I do tend to agree with you Rugged on your stance with OC's word being well respected on the forum here. He and I have different opinions on topics as well but rightfully so. Each are allowed their opinions biased or not.

OC, Turbs and I have all butted heads in the past as well all have our own opinions. Turbs actually offered up his phone number to me to chat a while back to assist me in building my own set of awning poles.

Guys like OC and Turbs have obviously been around the camping world a long time and have a ton of experience for which I have a ton of respect. Doesn't mean people always have to agree exactly how to do things...

Now that we have gone completely off topic, i will steer it back in saying that regardless of timbrens or air bags i'm sure the majority of people would agree they accomplish the same tasks. As you mentioned the benefit of the timbrens is the lower cost, easier install and require no user interface. Air bags shine in the fact that they are infinitely adjustable which can be a huge factor for different road surfaces...

Arguing which is better would be like arguing about truck brands, ultimately one style isn't going to fit everyone... (but dodge is the best fyi...)

I agree, Dodge is the best
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Timbrens are just like the overload springs factory furnished years ago. Had them on a 78 "Heavy 1/2" and took them off. My only point is, you have no control over them as to whether they are enough for the load imposed and they still allow for sag when a load is applied and thus takes load off the front end which is certainly not desirable. I prefer to tow with the trailer and the tow vehicle to be a close to level as possible, which is not achievable with overloads or Timbrens.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #34

Like I stated in my earlier post the user could buy the "AIRLITER ULTIMATE 5000 AIR BAGS". This includes the jounce bumper (timbrens) and the air bags all in one device. So you can have the best of both worlds. Than everyone could be happy with their advice.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Timbrens are just like the overload springs factory furnished years ago. Had them on a 78 "Heavy 1/2" and took them off. My only point is, you have no control over them as to whether they are enough for the load imposed and they still allow for sag when a load is applied and thus takes load off the front end which is certainly not desirable. I prefer to tow with the trailer and the tow vehicle to be a close to level as possible, which is not achievable with overloads or Timbrens.
This is false OC. To say that you have no control is false in that some of their kits come with spaces to aid in when they are actually taking affect, ip so facto not allowing the trucks suspension to deflect as much.

Then to say that it isn't possible for the timbrens to allow you to tow level is just asinine... My father's ram 3500 drw pulls a camper with 3000+ pounds of tongue weight as well as he has an 80 gallon aux tank in the bed full of fuel... the truck squat just passed level with no help. Timbrens providing a firm smooth and LEVEL ride.

Yes, we understand that the air bags give you more flexibility but again why spend more to do the same job for less money and less work installing and less work to physically use...??

Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sitting down now with donuts.
4 glazed.
4 pecan.
4 pudding filled.

I'm set guys ! GO

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #37

I too have used both. Started with Timbrens, added Airlift 1000s (both on Ram 1500). These are both products that various people will swear "work perfectly", but that I wasn't ever able to get complete satisfaction from. I think, IMHO, it was because I was trying to fix too much of a TT vs TV mismatch. The numbers said it was good, but my driving experience said otherwise.

All of this to say that the OP asked for opinions, he has surely gotten them, and in the end he may be happy with one, both, or neither (at which point he either changes TVs, TT, or lives with it). That decision will have to be based on his specific situation and (perhaps even more importantly) his towing preferences/expectations.

Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
...and less work to physically use...??
Pushing a button is a big physical expenditure.

It took me about an hour to install the airbags/compressor which were only $175 when I bought them in 1995. Took them off the 95 put them on a 2000 and now on a 2005. Don't think the Timbren for a 95 will fit on a 2000 and a 2005. But regardless why should I use Timbrens to do what I get for free? The OP can use whatever he wants, even the new Timbrens with the air bag, but what has he gained over airbags/compressor?

To me, pushing a button to inflate or deflate is about as easy as it can get. After using them for years, I know exactly how much to put in the bags even empty to get the truck level when I hook up. It does take about 10-15 secs to pump them up. Exhausting as it is, I think I can manage a few more years.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #39

Quote:
1st truck with Timbrens, Nissan Titan pulling a 6000 lb TT

2nd truck with Timbrens, Ford F250 pulling a 12,000 lb 5'er

Happy with both, both trucks sit level when hooked up....No ISSUES
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #40

Winston Churchill once said

'Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.'

Wish I had paid attention and never read this thread.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL