Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Ball park numbers for weight distribution

Went to the CAT Scale today and got these numbers. Steer axle 5250 (GAWR 6000), drive axle 6440 (GAWR 7000), Trailer axles 10400. I was only occupant in truck and trailer had some cargo but no liquids. GVWR for truck, 2014 RAM, Crew Cab, 3500 SRW, full bed, 6.7 diesel is 12,300. GVWR for trailer, Brookstone 340LS, is 15000. I know the only true way to find out is to load and weigh, but does anybody have some general ideas as to how much weight added in the cab is transferred to steer axle and then weight added in trailer adds to drive axle. CAT scale is 50 miles away so I would like to be close before I go back. Fresh water tank holds 70 gal. If I filled to 1/3 indicator, which is what i would like to do, that would be about 23-25 gals, approx 210 lbs. Thanks ahead of time for any comments or suggestions
Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Always Learning

You can usually get a good guess at pin weight by extrapolating from dry weights and then adding a point or three to the dry ion weight percentage. I have a tool that helps you figure it out:
http://www.towingplanner.com/Estimat...0&lw=13470&a=2

I haven't seen many scenarios where much weight from fifth wheels is pushed to the front axles. And, I think not much weight is removed from them either- it is almost all carried by the drive axle.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Always Learning

Is there an chance you parked the camper and weighed the truck alone?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #4

I wasn't talking about weight from trailer going to front axle. I was talking about weight added in the cab. It would be split between the front and rear axle but the ratio is unknown. I will be weighing truck by itself this morning at a free scale near where I work.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I figure weight in the front seat is about 2/3 on the front axle, and 1/3 on the back axle of the TV. Weight in the back seat should be about 1/2 and 1/2 between the 2 truck axles. Front basement of a 5th wheel should be about 1/2 on the the trailer axles, and 1/2 on the pin (mostly rear axle of the truck).

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkychuck View Post
I wasn't talking about weight from trailer going to front axle. I was talking about weight added in the cab. It would be split between the front and rear axle but the ratio is unknown. I will be weighing truck by itself this morning at a free scale near where I work.
Ahh, ok- I misunderstood. I have no idea how to tell where that weight will go.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

It's simply a matter of looking at the rig from the side. If you put weight over the trailer axles, all weight is on the trailer axles. Same for the drive axle, or the steer axle. If you put weight half-way between any axles, weight will be split evenly between those 2 axles. If slightly forward of half-way, then slightly more will go to that axle than the other.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
It's simply a matter of looking at the rig from the side. If you put weight over the trailer axles, all weight is on the trailer axles. Same for the drive axle, or the steer axle. If you put weight half-way between any axles, weight will be split evenly between those 2 axles. If slightly forward of half-way, then slightly more will go to that axle than the other.
That is the way I figure it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight