RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #21

Base truck

i had base company trucks which I put on about 75k km a year. Had both Chev and Fords. Last 2 were Fords. I am not a Ford guy but the trucks were tough and worked hard. Trouble is comfort. Cheapest most uncomfortable seats you could imagine. My company was fully aware of this and had the drivers seat re padded and altered the seating angle. Back problems galore before seat mods. IMHO I want to be able to walk after a long haul so I buy well above the base vehicle line. Totally up to each individuals circumstances.
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2020 Nights Camped 80
Gm Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #22

My Ram is a Tradesman. My 1500 was a Big Horn, I was worried when I got the 2500 I would miss some of the features of my Big Horn, but I quickly realized it didnít matter to me. My priority when shopping for a HD Truck was mainly for a better towing experience. Heated seats and leather arenít really that important to me. The tradesman still has bluetooth, AC, an intorgrated brake controller, and the seats are comfortable. My only complaint about the Ram was the muffler and resonator were way too quiet, so they got cut off and replaced with a Magnaflow.

Itís purely preferable for the buy. For me, I didnt feel like all the extra upgrades were worth the money. Thatís just me though.
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #23

Food For Thought

I understand the desire to keep the cost of a new truck below $40,000, I get it!

One option most everyone here on this thread seem to agree on is the $10,000 diesel option can be foregone.

I submit you can have the Diesel for well under $40,000.

About 18 months ago we purchased our current truck, an 08 Silverado 2500HD CCSB, LTZ with the Diesel, we paid $22,000 for a truck with only 95,000 miles.

That is just over 1/2 of the target figure for a truck that for all intents and purposes looks and drives like a brand new truck.

Does it have all the Bells & Whistles in a high end new truck? No, but it is the highest trim level available when it was made, leather interior, electric and automatic everything, which you dont' get in the new base level trucks being discussed here anyway.anyway

Has it been Absolutely trouble free, no, but the issues have been very small and we have added about $2000 to that initial cost, but it is still a HUGE savings.

And, our resale value is right at what we paid for the truck, so zero depreciation loss.

As I said in the heading, just Food For Thought
Old 04-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #24

Showing my age...........oldfartitis
I bought my 1st new car in 1976 (76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with T-tops) Back then you could pick out just about any option that was available. More than two colors to choose from for seat and carpet, entertainment package...........AM/FM with 8 Track numerous paint colors and combinations. So many options and choices it was truly a personal choice what vehicles came with..........not package A or B..............it was actually fun. My fully decked out G.P. was $8,600.00 list..............those were good days
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Showing my age...........oldfartitis
I bought my 1st new car in 1976 (76 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with T-tops) Back then you could pick out just about any option that was available. More than two colors to choose from for seat and carpet, entertainment package...........AM/FM with 8 Track numerous paint colors and combinations. So many options and choices it was truly a personal choice what vehicles came with..........not package A or B..............it was actually fun. My fully decked out G.P. was $8,600.00 list..............those were good days
I'm with you, in 1979 I bought a brand new Ford F100 with the Custom trim package. Rubber floors, bench seat, crank windows and vent wings. No AC needed in Oakland, Ca. I bought it from Melrose Ford for about $5200.
I factory ordered it as a short bed, styleseide, regular cab, 2WD, 302 V8, automatic, PS and PB, radio and heater. That's it. You could actually see the engine when you opened the hood.
I forgot to mention I towed a then new 23' Terry Taurus with it. It did just fine.
I guess I want to relive those days gone by with another base truck.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #26

I'll confess. My wife and I are car brats. I drove junkers and clunkers in my early years, and now that I can afford the bells and whistles, I'll take them. My last three trucks were LTZ models, one was a Denali, and our new truck is an LTZ and has the goodies we like to have for those long road trips. Wifey has leased cars for much of her years and now drives a late model CTS. Call us frivolous?
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:29 PM   #27

I went with an 2019 F350, CC. Long bed, diesel, 4X4 with the XLT because my F250 was not matched to my new 2018 Cardinal 3825 FL fiver.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #28
Multi-Slacker

We bought a new Chevy 2500HD work truck last year, off the lot, for substantially under the $40,000 number. As delivered, it lacked a hitch receiver, brake controller, extendable tow mirrors, and nerf bars. Adding that stuff after the fact added another ~$2K to the total but still left us under 40.

The cloth seats are comfortable, the electronics package has the A/C & radio controls as well as GPS and map display. Sirius radio was nice but too expensive to have on a truck that only gets used for infrequent towing. Dealing with their incessant demands that we re-up the subscription gets wearisome. Other than that we love the truck. It's got sit down seats, see through glass, the radio plays and the air makes cold. What else do you need?
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #29

I purchase a used 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD in Feb of 2016 with 8860 miles on the clock for $40K. It is a four door crew cab with 8 ft. bed, four wheel drive, Duramax diesel and the Allison 6 speed transmission. It came equipped with PS/PB/AM&FM radio, power windows & door locks and AC. It does not have carpet or leather seats, nor are the seats powered. We travel with two West Highland Terriers, so the seats and floor are easy to clean. I have owned trucks with all the bells and whistles, of which I do not miss.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #30

My husband prefers work trucks. He gets dirty at work and gets dirty working at home. He doesn't want a fancy truck he has to worry about messing up. He doesn't like carpet, he likes the easy cleaning of the rubber floors. His 2009 Silverado work truck has served him well for the last 10 years. I like more comforts and bells and whistles. However, I am not a fan of leather seats. I currently have a 2018 Ram 2500, the Lone Star package, which I think to the rest of the world is a Big Horn package. It is very nicely equiped.
gaondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #31

I was able to sit down with the sales manager and order by line item what I wanted on my 16' RAM 1500 Tradesman. I was able to come out with a higher payload than a lot of dressed up 2500 trucks.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #32

I purchased a '16 Ram Tradesman off the lot. I paid just shy of $45k for the truck with the Cummins. It had the option with the dual alternators already installed (I think for the snow plow option). Other than that, pretty much stock but the spray in bed liner and LED bed lights. No frills.

I added a bull bar in the front with an LED light and a bed cover.

Posted payload is 2300 or 2400 with out looking at the sticker.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #33

Dealers make a lot extra by selling you fancy trucks. The simple ones are still out there but hard to find. Sometimes you have to order one, or find a dealer that specializes in commercial fleet sales.

Spending the money for a diesel is one of the smartest investments I have ever made. My 2002 Ford is going up in value. After 17 years, it is worth over half of what I paid for it. Similar gas trucks are worth less than a quarter of the purchase price.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Anyone explore the various manufacturer "build your truck" sites and choose a base model as means to alleviate the high cost of new trucks?
I am referring to the Ram Tradesman, Ford XL and Chevrolet Work Truck models. All now come standard with automatic, power steering power brakes, power windows, am-fm, backup camera and cruise control.
Ordering the important mechanicals of low rear gearing, (high numerically) 4X4, crew cab, payload package ,tow package, tow mirrors and brake control keeps the cost of a new truck reasonable..especially if you stay with gas and not add that $10,000 hit with a diesel.
With dealer dickering and rebates, you might bring it below that magic $40,000 number.
Does anyone who has a base truck miss the leather, wood trim and tech features of the various Lariat, Limited, King Ranch options?
My 2018 I bought new is a Tradesman, the 2016 Prior was also a Tradesman
I have Sattelite Radio (necessity for me) Back up Cam, pw, air, tow package, and mine had the snow chief package added. Has the fifth wheel prep, full length running boards and RHino lined bed.. all for less than 49 OTD for a diesel truck.Its perfect, and the seats are very comfy to us..Like the added payload.. Price was great.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #35

Almost bought a new 2018 last fall chevy 2500 hd . std cab full size bed , tow package , electric windows , for 34,000 . but decided my 2003 chevy had more years to give me . don't need all the other bells and whistles . full size bed is a must have and crew cab is not . only need room for 2 people
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

I have 3 dealers within 15 miles of my home. 2 Chevy and 1 Chevy/GMC. None of them have 2500/3500 on their lots. I was told they never stock 3/4 or 1 ton trucks and if I wanted a I would have to order it. When I bought my '18-1500 in December the Chevy/GMC dealer had a standard cab '08-2500 with snow plow package just traded and had not been inspected/serviced yet. We wanted a crew cab so I decided on the one in my signature. The only thing it has that I don't need is the rubber floor covering. If I want I can take it out as I have carpet under it, I even got a set of floor mats for front and rear seats.

BTW, my truck was sticker priced at over 52k, all said and done it cost me 36.4k.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I have 3 dealers within 15 miles of my home. 2 Chevy and 1 Chevy/GMC. None of them have 2500/3500 on their lots. I was told they never stock 3/4 or 1 ton trucks and if I wanted a I would have to order it. When I bought my '18-1500 in December the Chevy/GMC dealer had a standard cab '08-2500 with snow plow package just traded and had not been inspected/serviced yet. We wanted a crew cab so I decided on the one in my signature. The only thing it has that I don't need is the rubber floor covering. If I want I can take it out as I have carpet under it, I even got a set of floor mats for front and rear seats.

BTW, my truck was sticker priced at over 52k, all said and done it cost me 36.4k.

Must be your area , after reading this thread i decided to do a search and found many with in a 500 miles radius of my zip code . best deal was a double cab WT 2500 hd for 33,600 but it only had the 6.5 bed . i've seen the std cap or regular cab LB for 37,400 .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #38

My 2009 Silverado 2500hd gasser was paid off 5 years ago. I just turned 93k and plan on keeping it till the end of me. I changed oil religiously, repair and replace whatever and whenever needed. Im in the middle of rebuilding the suspension. Control arms, shocks, ball joints idler arms etc. I will fix whatever is needed just to keep from purchasing an over priced new vehicle. Can't see spending all that money on a vehicle that is mostly foreign made. Or foreign owned.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
My 2009 Silverado 2500hd gasser was paid off 5 years ago. I just turned 93k and plan on keeping it till the end of me. I changed oil religiously, repair and replace whatever and whenever needed. Im in the middle of rebuilding the suspension. Control arms, shocks, ball joints idler arms etc. I will fix whatever is needed just to keep from purchasing an over priced new vehicle. Can't see spending all that money on a vehicle that is mostly foreign made. Or foreign owned.
I wrote this in another forum, specifically for Diesel 2500HDs but it is all applicable to you Engine oil and xmsn fluids.

The two most neglected fluids apply to your truck as well though, since all HDs have the same brake and Hydroboost systems.

You might find this thread useful and interesting.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html
Old 04-09-2019, 04:05 AM   #40
Prime Member

There are certain options that I must have in a truck.

1. Crew cab.
2. Heated / cooled seats.
3. Diesel engine.
4. Adaptive cruise control.
5. Side steps
6. Backup camera.
7. Trailer wiring.

Everything else is negotiable.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck