Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Battery Isolator

Last summer for a two-week outing a traveling buddy of mine and I with exact same length of rigs and same manufacturer just different models with two brand new deep cycle batteries traveled together. When we would arrive at a campsite I would put my 100-watt Renology suitcase solar panel out to kick up the battery charge that my trickle charger had given my batteries while we drove. We would check the voltages on both sets of batteries and my buddy always seemed to have a much stronger charge and higher voltage amount and never worried about his batteries after driving from one site to the other. I came to find out that his father owned the truck before and put what he called a battery isolator on it where it used the alternator to charge the batteries on his rig so he got much more amperage to the batteries than my trickle charger. This is the first time I have reached out for info on this and may not have the exact information correct as it was being passed on from my friend's dad through him and he did not seem to understand all his dad told him. Have any of you installed something like this to get a better charge to your 5th wheel or TT? If so, does it work and how hard is it.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Airborne, more information is needed. What is the year/make/model of tow vehicle? Does the battery voltage increase if the trailer is hooked up and the truck running?
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery