Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #1

Bed mounted Aux fuel tank

I have some questions about aux fuel tanks for those of you that have or have had them:
1. Is it common to see them setup to pump directly to the main fuel tank? If so does a kit exist? If not, why?

2. Most everything I’ve seen is for diesel applications, I’m thinking about adding an aux tank to my gas 2500 HD. However, before we get all fired up, I believe I understand the difference between a combustible and a flammable and I also believe I understand the legal ramifications if something bad happens.

So, If any of you have done just what I’m thinking about doing I’d like to hear about it. If you just want to tell me I’m an idiot, well that’s fine too.

Here’s what I’ve got: 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0ltr
What I want to do is mount a 20 or 30 gallon tank in the bed and wire up a 12v pump that pumps from the drain plug of the aux tank to my main tank. I’d like to wire it to a toggle switch in the cab. I can’t think of I reason why I can’t make this work safely.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #2

There is a place in Louisiana east of slidell that has them made of aluminum for gas engines. I’m actually looking at getting one for my tundra. They have different sizes DOT approved. The place is called north shore trailers. The only thing it is gravity transfer. With some smarts it can probably be slightly modified for ease of use. The bottom line is it is DOT APPROVED. If I remember they were around $495.00. Diamond plate aluminum and they had several on display.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Google Transferflow tanks. You can buy different sizes but I believe they are 12 volt pumps. If something ever happens to my hundred gallon tank I’ll buy one from them. We have to stop ever so often to use the bathroom and then I fill the truck up. In five minutes I can fill my tank. I think the pump pumps 8gal a minute. You can put gas or diesel in the tank. My tank is homemade and uses a 12 volt pump. We can stop use the bathroom fill up the truck get something to eat and be back on the road in 15 minuets or less. Plus we don’t ever pull into a truckstop or buy expensive fuel in truckstops
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Diesel is classified as a non flammable liquid, gasoline as a flammable liquid, a world of a difference in safety and regulations. For starters DOT approved only with the necessary documentation and you may still have difficulties when boarding ferries or driving through certain tunnels because the tank is an addon and not integrated - do your homework.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Either way they are available and DOT APPROVED for gas!! ferry or tunnel can be avoided. Modifications are always a plus!
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

I carry a 5 gallon can of gas. Don't want to carry the extra weight and don't mind stopping every few hours.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
TBarbs

I have used the RDS tanks for years. I like the 60 gallon tank with a 6" tool box on top. You can mount a pump to them and you can buy the gravity transfer attachment that connects it to your filler pipe. They are made for diesel but there are plenty of gas trucks running around with gas in them.
Attached Images

tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

One day I drove from central Kentucky to Florida stopping only to pee and had plenty of fuel when I got home. For all the nay sayers, I never worry about looking for fuel pumps that will fit my 38 foot 5th wheel, just don't worry about fueling at all.

There are many options out there, get what you are comfortable with and hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72e7.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	190913  
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Although my set up is for Diesel fuel, I have a 40Gal Titan aux tank. It has an embedded pump, ties into the truck's tank vent tube. I have a nice LED control unit in my cab, which when I activate it, pumps 5G in 10 minutes as I drive along and shuts off. I just turn it on to pump in more.

They may have something for gasoline....I never checked.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I have a 50g transfer flow for diesel. They are available for gas, but not sure what model. Mine connects to the vent line to the main tank. The tank has a low-volume pump built into the tool box portion. My on-board tank is the optional (when built) 42g.

Living out here in Arizona, we boondock often. There are some really long stretches out here without fuel. We love the ability to fuel when we WANT to, not when we HAVE to. Plus, gives us the ability to buy fuel when we see it cheaper than the interstate. Just after I got it, we went to Oregon from AZ, thru California. At the time, diesel was over 1.00 more per gallon in CA. We were able to bypass getting gas in CA and saved almost 100.00 each way. Bought my tank from Craigslist. Almost paid for itself in just one trip, and ended the aggravation of finding fuel.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

Bed fuel tanks

Mike968
I had a two Diesel truck for about 10yrs Ram 5.9 and F350 Powerstoke 6.7 I had a bed tank with a ball valve that drained into the fuel spout. Stop in rest center flip the ball valve. When I had done all my duties closed it and never had a problem.
Good Luck
Wayne
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
USAF Ret

Aux fuel tank

This may depend upon your state laws, I'm not sure about them everywhere, however, in Oklahoma, I installed my aux diesel fuel tank and it gravity drains into the main tank. Yes, I saw that you are gas. One of my camping buddies installed an aux gas tank but DOT regs said he could not have it directly connected to his main tank (I dunno why or why not) so his is in the bed of his truck and it is wired to a 12 volt internal pump that is then connected to a standard fuel dispenser nozzle (gas station type). So, when he get's low, they pull over (potty break, etc) and he just pumps the main tank full again. I've seen this on a few rigs but not too many. It works and it is legal. There may be an add on fuel tank system you could have installed but I'm guessing that it would cost a bit more than the bed mount system. Hope that helps.
RandyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Diesel is classified as a non flammable liquid, gasoline as a flammable liquid, a world of a difference in safety and regulations. For starters DOT approved only with the necessary documentation and you may still have difficulties when boarding ferries or driving through certain tunnels because the tank is an addon and not integrated - do your homework.

Google Transfer Flow, they sell DOT approved tanks legal in all states for gas or diesel. I have been on ferries and tunnels with no problems. When I was pulling a travel trailer I had a tonneau cover and the tank under it, you couldn’t see the tank
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #14

I had a tank custom made to fit under my tonneau cover. It holds around 35 gallons of fuel. When I purchased it was originally purchased for gasoline, but I now use it with my diesel truck. From my understanding you want a certified tank (mine is) incase you get stopped or are in an accident. Gasoline can’t be gravity fed, you need a pressure release valve that is also roll over safe. I prefer to get out and manually transfer fuel. That way I know for sure how much I have left. We typically fill the truck and tank before we get on the road and then stop at rest areas to eat and top off fuel. Then I can refill again when we drop the trailer at our destination.

Transfer flow and Titan make larger transfer tanks, but those are expensive and can’t be easily moved to a new vehicle.

The attached picture is from when I had the tank in my Tundra. I wired up the fuel pump with a 7 pin trailer connector so when I want to pump fuel I just plug it into the trailer port on any truck. (My tire air pump is the same way.)

My tank was from ATI Tank Home - Aluminum Tank Industries.

Another cheaper option that I started with is a Flo and Go Fuel Caddy.

Link - https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325161_200325161
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFDC41D3-0FBD-4DB5-8E87-B91C5E9E3386.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	190943  
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the advise guys, if I decide to install an Aux tank, I’ll be following the rules. DOT approved tank and a gas station style pump nozzle, the rules are in please for a reason. Hate to get someone hurt.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #16

Make a trip out of it. TransferFlo will install it for you for less than it costs to ship it. Google them. Make an appt. and camp nearby.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #17

Bob213, thanks! I did not know that. Several years ago, I had a Transferflo 48 gal replacement gas tank installed locally on my Tundra. By the time I paid shipping and installation we could have had a great trip. I really like the product, would have enjoyed the trip.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike968 View Post
I have some questions about aux fuel tanks for those of you that have or have had them:
1. Is it common to see them setup to pump directly to the main fuel tank? If so does a kit exist? If not, why?

2. Most everything I’ve seen is for diesel applications, I’m thinking about adding an aux tank to my gas 2500 HD. However, before we get all fired up, I believe I understand the difference between a combustible and a flammable and I also believe I understand the legal ramifications if something bad happens.

So, If any of you have done just what I’m thinking about doing I’d like to hear about it. If you just want to tell me I’m an idiot, well that’s fine too.

Here’s what I’ve got: 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0ltr
What I want to do is mount a 20 or 30 gallon tank in the bed and wire up a 12v pump that pumps from the drain plug of the aux tank to my main tank. I’d like to wire it to a toggle switch in the cab. I can’t think of I reason why I can’t make this work safely.
You can also buy one of those gigantic fuel tanks used to service farm equipment (I believe they are 500 gallons) and you only will have to stop for fuel once a year but physiologically, stop every 3-4 hours to empty your urine bladder as it needs emptying on a constant basis (6 fluid ounces capacity). No way of getting around having to stop every 3-4 hours anyway.

You can also install a urine container like fighter pilots have on transatlantic flights. Get the 2 gallon tank... it should last you 24 hours.
TheRVPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #19

The only DOT approved transfer tanks for gasoline have a pump and a nozzle on them. Gravity fed gasoline tanks are illegal and very dangerous. Most people think its because of potential of a leak but it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the venting of the tank and the highly explosive fumes in the tank. Please be sure that you have the correct setup before trying this as you may kill yourself and anybody around you.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Google Transfer Flow, they sell DOT approved tanks legal in all states for gas or diesel. I have been on ferries and tunnels with no problems. When I was pulling a travel trailer I had a tonneau cover and the tank under it, you couldn’t see the tank
X2 - also know your terminology, Transfer Flow sells refueling tanks for gasoline (with gas station nozzle) but only sell diesel transfer or aux tanks. Just be sure to read up, nobody wants to see you get hurt!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, fuel, mount, tank