Old 02-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Bed Rails and TVís

Evening All, new to the forum, but have read a lot of discussions. I have a stock 18í Ram 3500 SRW 4x4. Just had a Curt A16 install start itís lowest setting. Iím picking up a 18í Salem Hemisphere 337BAR on Saturday. After reading forum after forum, I am left even more confused about whether the bed rails will provide a clearance of the 5.5-6 inch clearance without nosing up or unsafe towing. I have searched the Internet for days looking for a similar setup without success. If you have this Ram, pulling this 5er or close to it, do you pull level without mods? Thanks in advance, looking forward to the responses.
Scooter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I'm sure someone will chime that has a setup close to what you have with advice.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Thank you kindly Seadog!! Look forward to assisting where I can and gaining TONS of info!!!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome Scooter. You may or may not get an answer before you get the 5er. There are so many variables, you may not be able to find out until you actually hook up. Hopefully the dealer will be a good one and can make any adjustments needed before you pull out with your new digs. Keep us updated though!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Welcome Scooter. You may or may not get an answer before you get the 5er. There are so many variables, you may not be able to find out until you actually hook up. Hopefully the dealer will be a good one and can make any adjustments needed before you pull out with your new digs. Keep us updated though!
Thank you EdUnior, I was hoping the same as far as the dealership. I certainly will keep you posted. Since Iíve not been able to find anything, I may do a video too showing the squat to the rear, as that is unavailable for the rams also. Thank you for the warm welcomes.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

I am not a Ram owner nor do I have a Salem Hemisphere, what I do own is a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD and a Crusader Lite 5th wheel. When I purchased the Chevy, I used the same 5th wheel hitch that I had in my 2001 GMC 2500HD. I noticed that the Chevy bed rails were higher than the GMC by one and half inches, the wheel size of the truck is 17 inches, the GMC rims were either 16 or 16.5. I did not encounter any difficulty with clearance between the bed rails and the trailer. If your truck has rims that are larger then it will make the rear of the truck sit higher.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #7

Reply to Bed Rails & Tow Vehicle

My 09' Dodge 3500 Longbed sits high.
Real high.
I have a Curt 20K fifth wheel hitch to pull my 34' Voltage Triton.
Right out of the gate my hitch bruised my goose neck tool box.
I raised the pinbox and bore a hole to place the fifth bolt in the center between the other four additional bolt hole patterned placed bolts as a result of my extending the pin box to maximize height above rails when the rig turned and swept over my rails.
This helped.
The real blessing from the Trailer Gods was when I had Accu-Trac allignment added to my coach.
This raised my coach 2 inches according to the installer.
I can see the difference when I go over embankments simultaneously making a turn.
Rough uneven driveways with hefty grades will challenge your hitch bed rail relation.
Incidentally, I have airbags which compound the height ratio between bed rail and pin box.
Another added advantage came when I placed RoadMaster Shock absorber system to my coach.
All of these additions have contributed to my tow vehicle and hitched coach to ride without the issues I had when I first got my rig in May of 2019.
While I'm at it, let me add that I had Dic Brakes installed this week by PERFORMANCE TRAILER BRAKING for $3K. That's parts and labor.
I love insurance and these disc brakes me feel well rounded.
Incidentally, the very first thing I did was put 16" SAILUN G rated (14 steel belts) tires on the coach.
I feel solid.
Well, I'm gonna giddy up before I get blocked on this site.
Good luck with your rig and have a blessed journey.
RafenJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafenJulie View Post
My 09' Dodge 3500 Longbed sits high.
Real high.
I have a Curt 20K fifth wheel hitch to pull my 34' Voltage Triton.
Right out of the gate my hitch bruised my goose neck tool box.
I raised the pinbox and bore a hole to place the fifth bolt in the center between the other four additional bolt hole patterned placed bolts as a result of my extending the pin box to maximize height above rails when the rig turned and swept over my rails.
This helped.
The real blessing from the Trailer Gods was when I had Accu-Trac allignment added to my coach.
This raised my coach 2 inches according to the installer.
I can see the difference when I go over embankments simultaneously making a turn.
Rough uneven driveways with hefty grades will challenge your hitch bed rail relation.
Incidentally, I have airbags which compound the height ratio between bed rail and pin box.
Another added advantage came when I placed RoadMaster Shock absorber system to my coach.
All of these additions have contributed to my tow vehicle and hitched coach to ride without the issues I had when I first got my rig in May of 2019.
While I'm at it, let me add that I had Dic Brakes installed this week by PERFORMANCE TRAILER BRAKING for $3K. That's parts and labor.
I love insurance and these disc brakes me feel well rounded.
Incidentally, the very first thing I did was put 16" SAILUN G rated (14 steel belts) tires on the coach.
I feel solid.
Well, I'm gonna giddy up before I get blocked on this site.
Good luck with your rig and have a blessed journey.

This is a lot of excellent info!!! Thank you soo much for taking the time to reply to my post. I will definitely look into the disc brakes!!!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I am not a Ram owner nor do I have a Salem Hemisphere, what I do own is a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD and a Crusader Lite 5th wheel. When I purchased the Chevy, I used the same 5th wheel hitch that I had in my 2001 GMC 2500HD. I noticed that the Chevy bed rails were higher than the GMC by one and half inches, the wheel size of the truck is 17 inches, the GMC rims were either 16 or 16.5. I did not encounter any difficulty with clearance between the bed rails and the trailer. If your truck has rims that are larger then it will make the rear of the truck sit higher.
Wolholler, thank you for responding to my post! My rims are also 17ís. A lot of people have suggested flipping axles or lifting the trailer if it sits too nose high. I didnít think this was an issue until the over all height came into factor. Currently the rig sits level at 13í-2Ē. Do you by chance remember what you bed rails were in height?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #10

My bed rails on my 2019 Ram 3500 are 60"off ground ... B&W Patriot set 3rd hole down gives me level tow and 7 inched bed rail clearance ... estimated pin on my S Class is 2500 lbs ... truck squats little less than 2 inches ... don't know if that helps you at all ... best of luck .... my Ram is SRW with 18" tires long bed
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
My bed rails on my 2019 Ram 3500 are 60"off ground ... B&W Patriot set 3rd hole down gives me level tow and 7 inched bed rail clearance ... estimated pin on my S Class is 2500 lbs ... truck squats little less than 2 inches ... don't know if that helps you at all ... best of luck .... my Ram is SRW with 18" tires long bed
Thank you soo much!! This helps a ton!!! This also is giving me more of a piece of mind. My truck is the short bed, which in theory, should give me a smidge more room at the tails gate. The dry hitch weight is within 100lbs, so the squat should also be very similar which I was looking for a while back too. I'm very excited to hook up and get the rig out on the road. Like some of the other forums I've read, suggest that the RV manufacturers have not go ton board with the newer taller trucks, sounds like maybe they are looking at this.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Scooter02 and frank4711, Iím following this very closely. Sorry to be late to the forum on this but I am in the same situation except that I am upgrading to a new Ram or Chevy 4x4 Crew cab long bed DRW to pull my existing fiver. Both manufacturers rail heights measure 59Ē at the tailgate. My current F-350 2x4 dually measures 55Ē at the tailgate. My existing Heritage glen fiver measures 58 ĹĒ from the underside of the overhang to the ground, when level. This current set up gives me 5Ē to 6Ē clearance at the rail when hooked up, with a slight truck squat at the rear. My trailer pin weight is about 2200. Iím expecting nose up with the new truck but I am concerned, how much is ok. Thanks to many posts here, I have read a lot and talked to B & W about this, and about a new hitch. Answers seem to range from just go with it to raise the trailer, remove a spring leaf, et al. Scooter, please post your results when you get the new trailer and let us know how it works out. Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated. Frank thanks for the B & W info.
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
Scooter02 and frank4711, Iím following this very closely. Sorry to be late to the forum on this but I am in the same situation except that I am upgrading to a new Ram or Chevy 4x4 Crew cab long bed DRW to pull my existing fiver. Both manufacturers rail heights measure 59Ē at the tailgate. My current F-350 2x4 dually measures 55Ē at the tailgate. My existing Heritage glen fiver measures 58 ĹĒ from the underside of the overhang to the ground, when level. This current set up gives me 5Ē to 6Ē clearance at the rail when hooked up, with a slight truck squat at the rear. My trailer pin weight is about 2200. Iím expecting nose up with the new truck but I am concerned, how much is ok. Thanks to many posts here, I have read a lot and talked to B & W about this, and about a new hitch. Answers seem to range from just go with it to raise the trailer, remove a spring leaf, et al. Scooter, please post your results when you get the new trailer and let us know how it works out. Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated. Frank thanks for the B & W info.
Herewego, I will certainly post. I am expected to take delivery tomorrow. First thing first, is to have them hook up before I spend too much time there. My unit is already at 13í-2Ē so lifting the trailer may not be an option, as law is 13í-6Ē or lower. Not sure I feel comfortable being that close. I plan on taking LOTS of measurements and posting my findings. Stay tuned all!!
Old 02-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #14

The results are in!! Here are the numbers we were waiting for. So from the beginning:

Truck is a 2018 Ram SRW 3500 4X4 6.4 Hemi, 3:73 gears 6 sp automatic tranny. ALL STOCK with 12,000 miles. Curt A16 slider hitch

Coach is a 2018 Forest River Salem Hemisphere GLX 337BAR 10900 lbs dry with a pin weight of 1990 lbs, 40 foot overall length

Truck empty, with a full tank of fuel, sat at 40.25 inches in the front and 42 inches in the rear. Tail gate sat at 59 inches from top to ground. These measurements are from the center of the wheel well to the ground, and will be the same for all.

Coach hooked up, front is at 40.5 inches and the rear is at 40.5 inches. The coach by eye, looks really really level, leaving me just over 8 inches bed clearance. This is waaay more than I was expecting!!! So excited about this!

Towing, I pulled out of the dealership and immediately felt a positive difference in towing. I went from a 4000 lb TT to this and feels quite similar. Obviously the unit is larger and requires different turning and other physics, but overall is very vice to pull. Continuing to tow, the front end of the truck was normal in response and the rear smoothed out really well with only and 1.5 inch of squat. Speeding up to 60 mph, the truck sat around 1900 RPM with a very slight incline. The incline was not anything long, maybe a 1/2 mile, but I didn't notice the truck losing speed or RPM. If you need other specs or measurements, let me know as I store the unit onsite. Hope with helps someone out there wondering if they should or shouldn't. Thanks for reading and happy SAFE towing!
Old 02-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #15

Please see the updated post.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:06 AM   #16

Just curious to see how much nose high on the trailer is allowable? I had to pull the slider off my Curt A16 hitch to lower the nose of my trailer. It dropped me about 2 1/2 inches. I still have about a 2" difference front to back height on the trailer but it is better. I have about 6" of bed rail clearance.
Curly
Curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly2001 View Post
Just curious to see how much nose high on the trailer is allowable? I had to pull the slider off my Curt A16 hitch to lower the nose of my trailer. It dropped me about 2 1/2 inches. I still have about a 2" difference front to back height on the trailer but it is better. I have about 6" of bed rail clearance.
Curly
Good morning Curly2001, Iím sorry I donít have an exact number for you; HOWEVER from what Iíve read throughout the forums, it seems as if 2 inches is very acceptable. Where it becomes a problem, (again from what Iíve read) is if the trailers total length is very short, leaving a significant uneven weight to the trailer axles.

Things to consider: height from trailer bumper to ground when hooked up. Clearance height from high points on the trailer to ground, and uneven weight to the trailer axles. I read that the CAT scales will weigh each axle, giving you a decent idea if the difference. I hope some of this may be useful. Wish you luck my friend.

Tags
bed