Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #41

I'm disappointed they did not include the Tundra. I had a 2008 with 5.7 4x4 that I drove and towed with for 10 years. I was very pleased with it, except for the 27 gal fuel tank and 9 mpg towing my TT made for a short range between fill ups. I think Toyota's 12 year old technology would have still competed with today's big 3. Never drove a Nisson Titan, but they should have included a gas one also...Give the consumer all the information on all competing brands available.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #42

Just a little scrawny 1/2 ton doing what it does best with a higher payload rating than a Ram 2500 CTD 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad River.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	200941  
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Dec 2018 my 2500 Duramax up Donner pass towing an 80,000lb tractor trailer that broke down in the snow. His brakes were toast so I did the braking for him with the transmission and some brakes. When we got to bottom the transmission and brakes were so cold...they had frost built up on them.
Some times...you just have to have fun.

Well played. But, no proof without video.

Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #44

Titan XD gets its day in court. F-150 (3.5 Ecoboost, 12,700 lbs max towing) vs Nissan Titan XD (5.6 gasser, 11,060 max towing). Conclusions at the 9 minute mark.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
My question is a simple one would human interaction improve performance, had no idea they just drove the truck and had a not touch the buttons policy. ....

On the downhill portion of this test...

The video only shows a few moments displaying rpms so we can only draw some info...but they said the Ford with it's smaller displacement was spinning at a higher rpm than the other two. By looking at the tac the Ford may or may not be capable of downshifting without getting to redline when they applied the brake -that truck was doing just about all it could via its programming. The Ram and GM truck both showed clips of rpms where they could definitely drop another gear or two -possibly could have reduced the number or brake applications if a human was controlling the selection manually.

It would be interesting to start a poll and see how many folks driving GAS trucks just put it in 'D' and push the tow/haul button. I like being in control (my car is a stick shift and the truck would be too if they made it with one) and as good as the computer programs are in these vehicles they cannot see what the conditions are just ahead like my eyes can.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
On the downhill portion of this test...

The video only shows a few moments displaying rpms so we can only draw some info...but they said the Ford with it's smaller displacement was spinning at a higher rpm than the other two. By looking at the tac the Ford may or may not be capable of downshifting without getting to redline when they applied the brake -that truck was doing just about all it could via its programming. The Ram and GM truck both showed clips of rpms where they could definitely drop another gear or two -possibly could have reduced the number or brake applications if a human was controlling the selection manually.

It would be interesting to start a poll and see how many folks driving GAS trucks just put it in 'D' and push the tow/haul button. I like being in control (my car is a stick shift and the truck would be too if they made it with one) and as good as the computer programs are in these vehicles they cannot see what the conditions are just ahead like my eyes can.
My RAM 1500 with the 8spd transmission is nice to be able to toggle down to 5th gear and sometimes 4th on the downhills and just a touch on the brakes as the RPM's start coming up. Here in Arizona the Salt River Canyon on hwy 60 between Globe and Show Low is a great test track for towing. I have driven many heavy loads through there with semi trucks and you had better be ready. Biggest load I took was a John Deere 8640 tractor w/duals and ballast.
So now with my 1/2 ton Dodge and 5th wheel it seems real easy.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
My RAM 1500 with the 8spd transmission is nice to be able to toggle down to 5th gear and sometimes 4th on the downhills and just a touch on the brakes as the RPM's start coming up. Here in Arizona the Salt River Canyon on hwy 60 between Globe and Show Low is a great test track for towing. I have driven many heavy loads through there with semi trucks and you had better be ready. Biggest load I took was a John Deere 8640 tractor w/duals and ballast.
So now with my 1/2 ton Dodge and 5th wheel it seems real easy.
Nice always good to see a positive post about 1/2 ton ... any upgrades to the RAM ... biggest hill around here is the Skyway bridge
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie D. Camper View Post

Well played. But, no proof without video.

Ah ! Touche.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #49

Quote:
My RAM 1500 with the 8spd transmission is nice to be able to toggle down to 5th gear and sometimes 4th on the downhills and just a touch on the brakes as the RPM's start coming up. ...
The best thing that ever happened to the auto slush box was when all the truck manufacturers added the simple rocker switch for controlling gear selection.

One thing that surprised me about my last Ford was how in one mode (not sure what it was called anymore) it would do what it was told without computer intervention. If in the proper mode and you floored it at say 3000rpm it wouldn't downshift unless you toggled it. My Chevy won't allow that...will the Ram? Just curious...

I always tow in manual mode with the Chevy which basically just limits the box to any gear between first and the highest gear selected.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Nice always good to see a positive post about 1/2 ton ... any upgrades to the RAM ... biggest hill around here is the Skyway bridge

Switched to LT tires and air bags in the rear coil springs. I am 400# over on the truck rear axle but unless I have to run with the black tank full it carries it ok.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #51
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Switched to LT tires and air bags in the rear coil springs.

I am 400# over on the truck rear axle but unless I have to run with the black tank full it carries it ok.
Hhhmmmmm.....

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Hhhmmmmm.....

Only been to Alaska and back in 2016 plus all over western states in 17' and 18' probably too soon to tell how this rig is going to work out.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #53
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Only been to Alaska and back in 2016 plus all over western states in 17' and 18' probably too soon to tell how this rig is going to work out.
Please be sure to let us know when the rear end blows up on that truck...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #54

I just went through the half ton dilema trying to decide which one to buy, I have been towing my Shamrock 23ws (5k dry weight) with my 2011 Tahoe for 3 seasons. The Tahoe actually did well everywhere but over the mountains in WV headed toward Virginia or SC.

I never liked that high rev gear hunting it did like the Nissan truck in the test with the Ecoboost. The Tahoe with the 5.3 did that on a regular basis. I never skimped on what I loaded in the TV or camper, always at least half a tank of fresh, rarely any gray or black to even mention, bikes on rack behind camper and anything else we wanted to bring, including wood. Also it gets pushed around a bit by the big rigs passing.

So as the Tahoe got up in miles and years, and got paid off, i planned on retiring it to custard runs and to teach my son to drive in , I started the 6 month long search on which truck to buy, and the search went like this...

First and foremost I am a Chevy guy, I am 59 and still have the 70 Malibu I took my drivers test in, BUT, I have also come to know owners, (good buddies) with the other 2 brands, (Japan trucks are out, I spent 12 years working on the Honda tech line, don't get me started!)

Well I was thinking 2500 Chev or Dodge or f250 for early on in the hunt, but my wife informed me she doesn't want bounced around much more than the Tahoe did so maybe I better get another Tahoe (not gonna happen!) or a smooth truck.

Well in my search, the Ram 1500 was top rider for comfort, my buddy has one and doesn't like the motor for towing, he complains about it eating fuel too, (I don't care about economy, I just fill and go) I didn't want the v8 high gear hunting the Tahoe did on pulling hills but liked the Rams power delivery, my dilemma with the Ram is I buy my cars 1 year old, around 12-15k on them and usually save 14 k over new, and the vehicle feels like new for maybe 4 years or so, anyway the Ram I wanted would have had to be new, so it was out.

So to Chevy, well,,,,, If I get a 5.3 like the Tahoe then I am getting what I already have, and although it can do the job, It was actually what I was trying to distance myself from. The screaming on hills and just plain lack of power pulling out from a dead stop, to me the 5.3 is a dud, not to mention the p300 codes that love to pop up and the most inconvenient times.
I think the GM AFM system is severely flawed and I will leave it at that, Google it if you don't believe me.

So now to Ford, well,, I am not what one would call a Ford fan, I spent most of my childhood riding around in a 1960 ford half ton, It was a worker bee but my dad hated the way it rusted out, so we turned on ford for rest of his days LOL

My brother has a 2017 F250 power stroke and loves it but hates the harsh ride, I was seriously thinking of getting the f250 gasser but mamma says NO Bouncing so the 250 is out, now a phone call to my brother went like this, He said,,, NO don't get the 250, when mine is ready to get replaced, I am getting the f150 3.5 ecoboost! Say what? I was stunned to hear it, You see, my brother ownes the mill that makes the aluminum for the Ford trucks, he has the f250 through his work and once in a while his guys use his truck to hall an ingot to a customer on a trailer. So when they take his truck he rents an f150 ecoboost and enjoys every mile in it. He said it rides super smooth, tows like a dream and has diesel like power and performance, (a lot of power at lower RPMs.

Ok, so now, I am a Chevy guy, I can't buy a truck made out of aluminum!, I can't buy a truck with turbo chargers on the engine! I can't buy a 6 cylinder to tow my camper when I don't think my v8 is enough! AND I really am not a Ford guy!

But, I made the fatal error of DRIVING a 3.5 ecoboost, aluminum body F150!!!!

I turned the truck left onto the 4 lane in front of the dealer, jumped on the gas, 3/4 pedal, let it run through all 10 gears, looked down at the spedo, 85MPH! It all happened in an instant, the truck just exploded! Where the freak is all that power coming from??? I bought the truck on sight. 2018 with 15 k on the spedo.

Done deal! I have to say I have traveled over to the dark side, I have heard a lot about the ecoboost till I was sick of hearing it and well, it's all true and more, the best way I can describe it, it acts a lot like a, diesel, it just keeps pulling and pulling.

If you are thinking about buying a half ton, go drive the 3.5 ecoboost and well, bring the checkbook, your probably gonna need it.

ps for now, I am an official Ford guy! Good luck with your search.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Please be sure to let us know when the rear end blows up on that truck...

Drained and flushed the rear end and put some Royal Purple oil in it. At 75K miles the old oil still looked good. A little dark but no metal. (Yet)
Old 04-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #56

Husband bought a 2018 Sierra GMC. 6.2. he loves it! We tow a 26' toyhauler w/ razor And truck loaded to AZ. Did I mention he loves it?
2witzmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #57

All i have to say is no one says anything about how the Ram pulled the hill !! Lets break these trucks down !

Ford F150 3.5 eco boost
370 horsepower 470 torque

Gmc 1500 6.2L
420 horsepower 460 torque

Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
395 horsepower 410 torque

With that being said id say the underdog Ram hung in there pretty damn good !! Giving up 60 ft/lbs of torque to the twin turbocharged F150 and 50ft/lbs of torque and 25hp to the GMC ! Yes the naturally aspirated motors are going to rev higher than a turbo charged motor especially at higher altitudes because a turbo charger makes its own atmospheric pressure and is not affected by altitude ! Way to go Ram for showing the new boys how to hang in there !!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithfirefighter View Post
All i have to say is no one says anything about how the Ram pulled the hill !! Lets break these trucks down !

Ford F150 3.5 eco boost
370 horsepower 470 torque

Gmc 1500 6.2L
420 horsepower 460 torque

Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
395 horsepower 410 torque

With that being said id say the underdog Ram hung in there pretty damn good !! Giving up 60 ft/lbs of torque to the twin turbocharged F150 and 50ft/lbs of torque and 25hp to the GMC ! Yes the naturally aspirated motors are going to rev higher than a turbo charged motor especially at higher altitudes because a turbo charger makes its own atmospheric pressure and is not affected by altitude ! Way to go Ram for showing the new boys how to hang in there !!
Remember that the Ecoboost is just a v-6, not a v-8 like the other two.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Remember that the Ecoboost is just a v-6, not a v-8 like the other two.
But it has twin turbos @ 5psi per turbo . I have a 96 mustang gt with a 4.6 stock it had 215 hp i put a supercharger on it at 9psi and it gave me 115 more horsepower! So its not just a V6 !
Keithfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #60

Best 1/2 ton tow Vehicles

I'd like to point out something for people thinking to buy an F150. You need to get /order one with the Max Tow Package. It costs around $1300. But it includes the 36 gallon fuel tank.($500.) the brake controller ($300) the 3.55 electronic locking rear axle. ($500.) And all the fluid coolers +1 on the rear springs bigger front anti sway bar. Some of the smaller things you can't even buy separate. Also to consider is the 6-1/2 foot bed option. Besides the convenience of the longer bed, it gives you a longer foot print for towing. I watch all these road test guys they compare apples to oranges all the time. They never mention the options that they should have gotten on their test truck.
PaulRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tow vehicle