Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Columbus 302 rs

Best hitch for Trail Aire Ride Tri Glide ?

We are awaiting delivery of a new Columbus 320RS from Palomino and will be total newbies. The fifth wheel is coming with the Trail Aire Ride Tri Glide Pin Box.
Our truck is going to be a F350 8 foot bed diesel dually.

Any recommendations for the best hitch to work with this combination would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and for those out there camping this next week, stay cool.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Not-so-Junior Member

I'm sure that you have taken delivery of your Columbus and have settled your hitch issue. I saw this post and wanted to chime in.
We have ordered a 295RL and it is to be delivered soon. We have been fifth-wheeling for almost 8 years, we ordered the Tri-Glide pin box as well.
A hitch is a hitch as long as it has the proper weight rating to handle the trailer. The other features would reflect your own preference.
I just replaced my 2005 F350 this past year with a 2012 F250 6.7L 4x4 with long bed. One of the coolest things that I got as an option was the "5th wheel prep package" which consists of all of the mounts being under the bed, mounted directly to the frame rails. When the hitch is removed you are left with a perfectly flat bed, no bed rails! In addition there's a factory-mounted additional 7-pin connector inside the left sidewall of the bed for easy connection of the trailer.
To complete the set-up you need to order the Reese Elite Series Hitch which fits right into the factory mounts. I ordered the 30143 25k hitch, and there's also a 18k model available. This hitch is also available from Ford if you want to include it in your financing.
The Reese hitch is really easy to install and uninstall plus it breaks down in 2 -pieces if needed so you can do it as a one-person operation (the hitches tend to be heavy).
Hopefully the Tri-Glide will eliminate some of the additional motion that towing with a 4x4 puts into the trailer. My previous F350 was a 2wd and the independent front suspension gave a better overall ride for the trailer. When I switched to a 4x4 tow vehicle I noticed that things that used to stay shut were now open and things that used to stay on the counter were now on the floor...
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs, columbus, f-350, hitch, trail aire