Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Best tool ever (cordless ratchet)

I grew weary of wrenching in tight spaces so I made an impulse buy at Home Depot last week before I installed my gooseneck hitch.

This thing ain't cheap but what a handy tool. Fits in tight spaces and saves my knuckles. Only 55 ft lbs torque but that was enough to get everything close and then use the torque wrench. Now the only question is why the heck I didn't buy one of these years ago.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #2

I have had mine for years and it is a handy tool. I got mine when I owned the 6.0 super duty and felt then as I do now it is a great investment. It will function like a normal ratchet for breaking loose or tightening if you keep your finger off the trigger.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #3

I bought a husky one they had last year as a Christmas special. I don't have Milwaukee tools for other stuff so it wasn't worth buying the m12 one. It is a great tool. Has come in handy a lot
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

I just have to say the best tool ever is the Cordless Electric "Whatever". It all started with the Black and Decker Cordless screwdriver way back when. Now you can get just about any tool in a cordless electric version. And they're all awesome!

Heck, you can even get a cordless electric lawn mower! How cool is that??
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I grew weary of wrenching in tight spaces so I made an impulse buy at Home Depot last week before I installed my gooseneck hitch.

This thing ain't cheap but what a handy tool. Fits in tight spaces and saves my knuckles. Only 55 ft lbs torque but that was enough to get everything close and then use the torque wrench. Now the only question is why the heck I didn't buy one of these years ago.

I agree. I've gotten to the point that if I am like at a friends garage and need to use a tool, a standard, manually-operated ratchet feels weird to me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I just have to say the best tool ever is the Cordless Electric "Whatever". It all started with the Black and Decker Cordless screwdriver way back when. Now you can get just about any tool in a cordless electric version. And they're all awesome!

Heck, you can even get a cordless electric lawn mower! How cool is that??
We have one at work for doing small patch around office building. Works great. So great that I bought the brands string trimmer for my home. I have maybe 500' total linear feet i need to trim and I can do it 2-3 times on one charge.

So far, the total number of times it failed to start becasue I forgot to charge the battery is far, far less times than my gas weed-eaters simply failed to start.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

I got a 40v 16" chainsaw that is great for camping. Store it easy without gas, quiet operation if around a campground, obviously no hard starting, and you can make one cut and quit, then go back to cutting without leaving it idling. That and a cordless impact screwdriver I've had 10 years are my favorite battery tools. I do have an air ratchet like you have pictured and use that all the time. Luckily I don't seem to have to work on trucks out in the bush and I have and air compressor in the garage where I do my big car repairs. It does look easy, would be good for stuff like fencing or deck building driving lag screws.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #8

Had a mobile mechanic come to the house and change the spark plugs on a used F150 I bought. He had that exact Milwaukee tool. He said it was his favorite tool and didn't know how he ever got along without it. Gonna be investing in one myself in the future.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #9
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It does look easy, would be good for stuff like fencing or deck building driving lag screws.
Probably not. Its not an impact. Its a ratchet. If you read user reviews, a lot of guys give them low ratings because it would not break loose a Chevy small block head bolt or some crap like that. This thing does not make that much torque. It won't break looks a 7/16 valve cover bolt using the battery part, and its not supposed to.

It's only function is to run up or down bolts and nuts that are finger tight. You know... like a 6 inch long, fully threaded alternator bolt that is just crusty enough that you cant turn it out with your fingers. THAT'S what its for.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #10

That is a good one. I have been using one like this for a while. Ryobi One P241 18V Right Angle Drill. for me it replaces drill, screw driver and ratchet on the road.
Byoung4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Probably not. Its not an impact. Its a ratchet. If you read user reviews, a lot of guys give them low ratings because it would not break loose a Chevy small block head bolt or some crap like that. This thing does not make that much torque. It won't break looks a 7/16 valve cover bolt using the battery part, and its not supposed to.

It's only function is to run up or down bolts and nuts that are finger tight. You know... like a 6 inch long, fully threaded alternator bolt that is just crusty enough that you cant turn it out with your fingers. THAT'S what its for.

Tim
This is correct. But I have been able to break most nuts loose by just using the M12 cordless ratchet as a mechanical tool. Then once the nut is loose, then push the trigger and watch it fly. Same with tightening. The M12 can do 55 ft lbs of torque. Then when it shuts off, I give it a turn as a mechanical ratchet and then hit it with a torque wrench.

If you have ever had to tighten a nut in a tight spot with about 2 clicks of the ratchet available, you will appreciate this tool.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #12

Added to the Christmas list for my SIL’s. I will probably get one also.

I did buy an impact wrench and always carry with me camping. Love the ease when a tire needs removed/replaced...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P261/205885687

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
This is correct. But I have been able to break most nuts loose by just using the M12 cordless ratchet as a mechanical tool. Then once the nut is loose, then push the trigger and watch it fly. Same with tightening. The M12 can do 55 ft lbs of torque. Then when it shuts off, I give it a turn as a mechanical ratchet and then hit it with a torque wrench.

If you have ever had to tighten a nut in a tight spot with about 2 clicks of the ratchet available, you will appreciate this tool.
I don't have the electric version of the tool you bought but the air version. I use it all the time. I break the fastener manually and use the power to quickly run off the nut or bolt. I do like tools and may have to get one of these. They are great for removing the nuts and bolts for transmission pans.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
Yeah, I don't know about the battery ones, but the $40 air ratchet I use has plenty of torque to drive lag screws in wood. At least it's what I used when I did my 300' of privacy fencing. It was just a pain running the compressor out there and an extension cord. When doing an all day job, a one time setup like that is no big deal, but battery is nice when you just need to do one thing quickly and the setup would take 3 times longer.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Unfairly, ratchets get compared to impact drivers.

If you want to drive lag bolts and concrete anchors then a ratchet isn't the tool.

There are cordless impact drivers with enough power to remove/install just about anything.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #16

Exclamation Worx battery driver... sweet!

I have owned this Worx battery-only Drill/Driver and have used it for almost everything to do with drilling or driving...and it's so small that it fits in SO many places that even any manual driver, and especially most any corded automatic driver... I wouldn't replace it for anything, and yet I can't even remember when and where I bought it! It's just a part of my tool box and get's used in SO many places...it charges up quickly and holds a high-Torque charge for SO long...it's amazing for such a small little 'tool'!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worx battery driver.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	228625  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #17

I just bought one recently, but I bought the non-fuel version because the head is much smaller and it's not as heavy. I use it all the time, and it sure beats the hell out of ratchets (and I use Snap On stuff).