Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #21

All of the diesel trucks are pretty good, but I would avoid the 6.0 liter Fords. The one exception is if you can get one cheap and then take it to a good diesel mechanic, they can fix most of the weak links in the engine for around $3,000 or a little more.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #22

Everyone's journey is a little different so I'm not going to get into a fight with anyone over this. .

People can get really passionate about the things they spend money on.

I was pulling my Rockwood with an Escalade and eventually, I realized it was too much. We have 4 kids so I knew I needed lots of interior room. I looked at some of the full size 3/4 ton SUV's and even some vans but decided that wasn't really for me. We also might go to a 5th wheel at some point.

Here is what I found..

The full size Super duty has the widest and most comfortable cab in the 2004-2007 range (this is the range I was looking at). The Chevy isn't bad but finding one with a bench in the front was nearly impossible at the time in my area. The Dodge was just plain cramped in the rear. Mega-Cabs help by giving you more leg room, but nothing is done to address how narrow those trucks are. The kids also hated the back seat.

Lots of GM and Dodge trucks I looked at were either 25k plus and flawless with over 200k on the clock or someone's beat up POS.

So, I looked at the powertrains available. From what I saw at the time, Dodge trucks have transmission issues (witnessed by 2-3 trucks I test drove.. one of which I didn't know if I was going to make it back to the dealership). The GM trucks were nice with the Allison tranny. However, I kept seeing all these folks complaining about injector issues.. some going to through several sets in 100k.

The Powerstroke 6.0 has had issues, but the aftermarket has really stepped up with this particular platform. Solutions are out there for this truck to address the weaker points.

For this platform, the main issues seem to be with head gaskets, EGR's and the oil cooler. I was able to find a clean, low mileage (118k) 2007 F350 LWB King Ranch Dually for $19k, but then was able to negotiate down a bit to 16k because it hadn't been bulletproofed. For reference, the beat up Ram I drove that barely made it back to the dealership was 17k and they wouldn't budge on price.

I did have some issues with the oil cooler right away (I suspect that's why the PO sold it to begin with). However, about 6k later it was fully bulletproofed with the head studs, new head gaskets, Fire Ringed heads, improved oil cooler, new HPOP, rebuilt turbo, EGR delete, new water pump, injector service, coolant bypass filter, blue spring upgrade, tuner, etc.. the works.

The truck is an absolute beast. Hauls like a freight train. Tons of power and is very roomy. I took the center console out and added a jump seat so we can fit 3 in the front and 4 in the rear in a pinch if needed.

Do your own research. A bulletproofed 6.0 can easily be in the 5-600k range with very minimal work needed to get it there.. Transmissions are generally very reliable too. I fully expect to drive this truck 10 years or more. I'll get my money out of it.

At the end of the day I feel the truck was the best choice for our family and hasn't left us stranded yet.. it has almost 156k now.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
All of the diesel trucks are pretty good, but I would avoid the 6.0 liter Fords. The one exception is if you can get one cheap and then take it to a good diesel mechanic, they can fix most of the weak links in the engine for around $3,000 or a little more.
I'm pretty much decided on either a Chevy Silverado or a Dodge 3500

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Everyone's journey is a little different so I'm not going to get into a fight with anyone over this. .

People can get really passionate about the things they spend money on.

I was pulling my Rockwood with an Escalade and eventually, I realized it was too much. We have 4 kids so I knew I needed lots of interior room. I looked at some of the full size 3/4 ton SUV's and even some vans but decided that wasn't really for me. We also might go to a 5th wheel at some point.

Here is what I found..

The full size Super duty has the widest and most comfortable cab in the 2004-2007 range (this is the range I was looking at). The Chevy isn't bad but finding one with a bench in the front was nearly impossible at the time in my area. The Dodge was just plain cramped in the rear. Mega-Cabs help by giving you more leg room, but nothing is done to address how narrow those trucks are. The kids also hated the back seat.

Lots of GM and Dodge trucks I looked at were either 25k plus and flawless with over 200k on the clock or someone's beat up POS.

So, I looked at the powertrains available. From what I saw at the time, Dodge trucks have transmission issues (witnessed by 2-3 trucks I test drove.. one of which I didn't know if I was going to make it back to the dealership). The GM trucks were nice with the Allison tranny. However, I kept seeing all these folks complaining about injector issues.. some going to through several sets in 100k.

The Powerstroke 6.0 has had issues, but the aftermarket has really stepped up with this particular platform. Solutions are out there for this truck to address the weaker points.

For this platform, the main issues seem to be with head gaskets, EGR's and the oil cooler. I was able to find a clean, low mileage (118k) 2007 F350 LWB King Ranch Dually for $19k, but then was able to negotiate down a bit to 16k because it hadn't been bulletproofed. For reference, the beat up Ram I drove that barely made it back to the dealership was 17k and they wouldn't budge on price.

I did have some issues with the oil cooler right away (I suspect that's why the PO sold it to begin with). However, about 6k later it was fully bulletproofed with the head studs, new head gaskets, Fire Ringed heads, improved oil cooler, new HPOP, rebuilt turbo, EGR delete, new water pump, injector service, coolant bypass filter, blue spring upgrade, tuner, etc.. the works.

The truck is an absolute beast. Hauls like a freight train. Tons of power and is very roomy. I took the center console out and added a jump seat so we can fit 3 in the front and 4 in the rear in a pinch if needed.

Do your own research. A bulletproofed 6.0 can easily be in the 5-600k range with very minimal work needed to get it there.. Transmissions are generally very reliable too. I fully expect to drive this truck 10 years or more. I'll get my money out of it.

At the end of the day I feel the truck was the best choice for our family and hasn't left us stranded yet.. it has almost 156k now.
Thanks for all of the information, it gives me more to think about. I would like to have the bullet proofing already done because it is very expensive but does wonders for the truck overall.

Retirement life........
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I'm pretty much decided on either a Chevy Silverado or a Dodge 3500
Take them both on a good road test with sustained speeds at least 65. Towing speed. Then buy what you like. Nothing will never break. Get what you like and live regret less.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for all of the information, it gives me more to think about. I would like to have the bullet proofing already done because it is very expensive but does wonders for the truck overall.
A good one that's been bulletproofed would be 25k or more. I saved a bit by doing it myself. There are good reputable shops out there that can do it for you. I'd look for one that specializes in the 6.0. Those guys really know their stuff.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Take them both on a good road test with sustained speeds at least 65. Towing speed. Then buy what you like. Nothing will never break. Get what you like and live regret less.
Your exactly right. Buy what you enjoy driving because like everything else something is going to happen to anything sometime.

Retirement life........
Old 04-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
A good one that's been bulletproofed would be 25k or more. I saved a bit by doing it myself. There are good reputable shops out there that can do it for you. I'd look for one that specializes in the 6.0. Those guys really know their stuff.
That's just something I would not pay to have done. Great for the engine yes but too expensive. Possibly one day down the road.

Retirement life........
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #29

There is no best truck for pulling a 5er. You're going to have 50 thousand different opinions. You're going to be more confused than if you would spend your time searching dealerships for what you want and need. Why would you want someone you don't know anything about to be spending your hard earned money.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm thinking strongly of going full time on the road. I've been looking at trucks and having mixed reviews of what truck's are the best for pulling my fiver. I'm looking at a 2004 Ford F -350 Super duty and a 2006 Dodge 3500 5.9L Cummings both long bed SRW at the moment. The weight of my 2006 Forest River Cardinal 29LE shows 9,730 lbs. Just curious which of these two would be the best and also what others are using to pull their fivers would really help. Thanks in advance for any info provided!
I had a 31 LE and pulled it with a 2008 Ford F 350. They did have problems with that motor but I got rid of it and purchased a 2010. Somebody said step back a couple of year and get the 6.7. No, he must have meant the 7.3 as the 6.7 came out later after the 6.4.

If you get the Ford, get the 6.7. It's been a very good motor. I have a 2012 with 31k on it and no issues (so far).
Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #31

I am a bit biased on the GM product line myself

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #32

Some of the early 6.7's have had crank and fuel system issues.

6.4 according to some was really considered a throw away motor. I have a guy at my church that bought one of those 6-door conversion F450's out of Texas. Three weeks into ownership the turbo took a dump sending shrapnel into the engine and taking out the fuel system at the same time. He spent over 12k fixing it.

Check out Bill Hewitt at Powerstrokehelp.com he does a in-depth analysis of all the powerstroke engines.

Go to his YouTube channel and watch some of the videos.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post

The term is "bullet proofing". If you want a 6.0, get one that's been bullet proofed. Otherwise, expect to have to bullet proof it yourself. That can get into the five figures to get it done completely and correctly.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #34

What's the best truck to pull a fifth wheel?

If you're like everyone else here, it'll be whichever one you buy..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #35
jkoenig24

Next week, in Crossville, TN the HDT~ECR Rally (Heavy Duty Truck~East Coast Rally) will be held. The HDT rallies are EXCELLENT places to learn the benefits of using a TRUE HDT (Class 7 or Class 8 truck) as a tow vehicle. Every year, more and more people "graduate" from their LGTs (Little Girly Trucks ) and start enjoying the benefits of towing with a real truck. These benefits include an OUTSTANDING safety margin, superior comfort (HDTs are designed for drivers who spend 14 hours a day "in the saddle") and incredible longevity (HDTs are designed to give ONE MILLION MILES of service with only routine service). The footprint of an HDT is pretty much the same as a big dually pick up. There are THREE HDT Rallies each year. The ECR held late April in Crossville, TN; the WCR (West Coast Rally) in Caldwell, ID in early June and, the National HDT Rally, mid-October in Hutchinson, KS. EVERYBODY is welcome at HDT Rallies and, each rally always has newbies who want to learn more about using an HDT (or sometimes a MDT) as an RV hauler. Good used HDTs have been purchased for as little as $20,000. Figure another $5,000~$25,000 to refit a used HDT for service as an RV hauler. Here's a good link that answers questions that many people have:

HHRV Resource Guide Manual | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide | Information for HDT Conversions

If at all possible, come to the ECR. It will be WELL worth your time!

https://eastcoasthdtrally.com
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Next week, in Crossville, TN the HDT~ECR Rally (Heavy Duty Truck~East Coast Rally) will be held. The HDT rallies are EXCELLENT places to learn the benefits of using a TRUE HDT (Class 7 or Class 8 truck) as a tow vehicle. Every year, more and more people "graduate" from their LGTs (Little Girly Trucks ) and start enjoying the benefits of towing with a real truck. These benefits include an OUTSTANDING safety margin, superior comfort (HDTs are designed for drivers who spend 14 hours a day "in the saddle") and incredible longevity (HDTs are designed to give ONE MILLION MILES of service with only routine service). The footprint of an HDT is pretty much the same as a big dually pick up. There are THREE HDT Rallies each year. The ECR held late April in Crossville, TN; the WCR (West Coast Rally) in Caldwell, ID in early June and, the National HDT Rally, mid-October in Hutchinson, KS. EVERYBODY is welcome at HDT Rallies and, each rally always has newbies who want to learn more about using an HDT (or sometimes a MDT) as an RV hauler. Good used HDTs have been purchased for as little as $20,000. Figure another $5,000~$25,000 to refit a used HDT for service as an RV hauler. Here's a good link that answers questions that many people have:

HHRV Resource Guide Manual | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide | Information for HDT Conversions

If at all possible, come to the ECR. It will be WELL worth your time!

https://eastcoasthdtrally.com

Say hello to my two buddies who'll be there! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #37

Might as well ask what is your favorite meal. Everyone has a different one.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
What's the best truck to pull a fifth wheel?

If you're like everyone else here, it'll be whichever one you buy..........

It’s really a matter of personal favorite, whatever truck, I wouldn’t turn down new one paid off no matter what the brand
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #39

Quote:
I live in SC so emissions is not checked here, no yearly inspection to worry about. Why did you remove yours? What's the issue with the emissions?

Poor quality def fluid, the first time in Alaska, I had not put any def fluid in for over a thousand miles. The light went off after a hundred miles. It did not go off at home, limp mode is 7 mph. At home I had traveled from North Carolina to Florida and back without putting def fluid in and the poor quality def light came on. The def light will not ever come back on
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #40

I found the Ford's to be too "trucky" with the way they rode. I stayed away from Dodge because their Tranny's are problematic, (I owned a tranny shop for 15 years!). Settled on an 04 Silverado 2500. No issues in 150K miles. Pulls my flagstaff great.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck