Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #1

Better MPG without a WDH??

Last weekend at a campground, a newbie lady camper said that she got better gas mileage without her WDH spring bars. I asked her why she removed them, and she said that when pulling up to a gas pump, one bar fell off the hanger and swung out, and she needed to remove them to turn..She said that the installing dealer told her to not back up with the spring bars in place!

Looking at her installation, with her Tundra and 5500 lb. TT straight in line, the end of the spring bars did not extend much past the center of the bar hangers.. A criminal installation, IMHO. She said they didn't make towing feel any differently to her without them, which is hard for me to believe unless they were most likely not set up right from the get-go. They were 10K bars, BTW..

But aside from that, she was adamant about getting up to 15% better fuel mileage..No altitude changes, wind direction or speed changes along the second half of her trip, she stated so very confidently..

Finally, my question...How is that possible??
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Anything is possible, to delusional people.[emoji2957]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
It's not possible.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

The dollars you may save on GPM is not worth towing without a WDH!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

Maybe 15% gas mileage better without the WDH is possible....... if the trailer was gone too........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

Adamant pretty well says it all. I’m betting you could talk yourself silly and not change her mind.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #7

I would think you COULD get worse gas mileage with them installed, if they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing. Either nose up or nose down, you'll change the airflow over the vehicles, resulting in a change in mileage compared to a baseline. Also, if you're getting less traction on the drive wheels, I would think that would lower the amount too.

Of course, this would mean it was seriously set up poorly. I'm not overly interested in testing the hypothesis.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Yea I think its very Plausible. I mean without WDH the rear would ride lower bringing the overall top of camper down, of course the nose of the truck would go up, and maybe send more air over top of the camper rather than into it reducing drag.
Would vary by truck and tongue weight, meaning a more softly sprung truck would sink more lowering the camper even more than something like a more heavily sprung vehicle.

Being A life long Motorcyclist its amazing what a small change in your windscreen does to everything above it.

Sure couldnt imagine 15% though.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

the first time the bars were off she probably towed with a tailwind thus making her believe the bars did the trick and not the wind...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Last weekend at a campground, a newbie lady camper said that she got better gas mileage without her WDH spring bars. I asked her why she removed them, and she said that when pulling up to a gas pump, one bar fell off the hanger and swung out, and she needed to remove them to turn..She said that the installing dealer told her to not back up with the spring bars in place!

Looking at her installation, with her Tundra and 5500 lb. TT straight in line, the end of the spring bars did not extend much past the center of the bar hangers.. A criminal installation, IMHO. She said they didn't make towing feel any differently to her without them, which is hard for me to believe unless they were most likely not set up right from the get-go. They were 10K bars, BTW..

But aside from that, she was adamant about getting up to 15% better fuel mileage..No altitude changes, wind direction or speed changes along the second half of her trip, she stated so very confidently..

Trying to convince her that she is??? My fuel usage on the computer average, coasting downhill will read 99 mpg.
Now you're getting close to religion and politics.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea I think its very Plausible. I mean without WDH the rear would ride lower bringing the overall top of camper down, of course the nose of the truck would go up, and maybe send more air over top of the camper rather than into it reducing drag.
Would vary by truck and tongue weight, meaning a more softly sprung truck would sink more lowering the camper even more than something like a more heavily sprung vehicle.

Being A life long Motorcyclist its amazing what a small change in your windscreen does to everything above it.

Baloney, with the nose of the T V up, you're running uphill all the time. 🤪
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post

I would think it's the opposite, the front of the TV goes up allowing the underside components to more directly interfere with aerodynamic forces, thus the wind resistance goes up along with fuel consumption.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #13

It is possible. Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch. What happens is the the TV keeps activating differential braking trying to correct for forces being created by the sway control on the hitch. It creates drag and therefore more fuel consumption. I’ve heard of this happening quite a few times.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch.
Which ones? With a claim of "many" the list should be long.

-- Chuck
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Which ones? With a claim of "many" the list should be long.

-- Chuck
I know Blue Ox mentions it and I believe Equalizer does as well right off the top of my head. It can happen with sway control that stiffens the pivot point though.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #16

Guess I’d better reread the owners manual for my blue ox. And the Ford explanation of when their sway control kicks in. But hey if it’s on the internet it must be true.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #17

come on guys... 6 inch difference in height of trailer might account for 0.1 MPG difference... maybe, but I doubt it

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
It is possible. Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch. What happens is the the TV keeps activating differential braking trying to correct for forces being created by the sway control on the hitch. It creates drag and therefore more fuel consumption. I’ve heard of this happening quite a few times.
On my last TV ('12 F150), I activated the sway control a few times in very windy conditions. It was VERY noticeable when the brakes started activating, the throttle was dumped, the pedal shook, and you heard the noise of the ABS. I would hope she would notice this and mention it as an "oh, but also, the thing tries to drive itself once in a while and everything goes crazy".
Old 06-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #19

I have an E4 and I keep the sway control activated. Never been in enough of a sway condition where I felt it. I went through the E4 manual and could not find ANY mention of turning off a vehicles built in sway control.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:54 AM   #20

Vehicle manufacturers will start pulsing the rear brakes long before the dash light comes on. A simple way to test for this is to check the vehicle rear brake temperatures. The next time you are a towing on a windy breezy day or any day for that matter check those temperatures with a non contact thermometer or use your hand but be careful not to burn yourself. If the rear brakes are pulsing your going to lose mpg. This was a big concern some years ago particularly on Fords f150 which seemed to be very aggressive with the stability control. A significant increase in mpg was reported by turning off trailer sway control.

Tags
mpg