Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 33
Better MPG without a WDH??

Last weekend at a campground, a newbie lady camper said that she got better gas mileage without her WDH spring bars. I asked her why she removed them, and she said that when pulling up to a gas pump, one bar fell off the hanger and swung out, and she needed to remove them to turn..She said that the installing dealer told her to not back up with the spring bars in place!

Looking at her installation, with her Tundra and 5500 lb. TT straight in line, the end of the spring bars did not extend much past the center of the bar hangers.. A criminal installation, IMHO. She said they didn't make towing feel any differently to her without them, which is hard for me to believe unless they were most likely not set up right from the get-go. They were 10K bars, BTW..

But aside from that, she was adamant about getting up to 15% better fuel mileage..No altitude changes, wind direction or speed changes along the second half of her trip, she stated so very confidently..

Finally, my question...How is that possible??
__________________

Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 21,690
Anything is possible, to delusional people.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 6,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Finally, my question...How is that possible??
It's not possible.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 594
The dollars you may save on GPM is not worth towing without a WDH!
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite
2017 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.2 gas
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 837
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,054
Maybe 15% gas mileage better without the WDH is possible....... if the trailer was gone too........


__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 462
Adamant pretty well says it all. I’m betting you could talk yourself silly and not change her mind.
__________________
2016 Berkshire XL 40A towing 2016 Jeep Wrangler.
Prior to this Jayco fifth wheel: 24' Eagle, 30' Designer, and 40' Jayco pinnacle.
Igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
IchLiebeBier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 277
I would think you COULD get worse gas mileage with them installed, if they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing. Either nose up or nose down, you'll change the airflow over the vehicles, resulting in a change in mileage compared to a baseline. Also, if you're getting less traction on the drive wheels, I would think that would lower the amount too.

Of course, this would mean it was seriously set up poorly. I'm not overly interested in testing the hypothesis.
__________________
2019 Heritage Glen LTZ 272RL
2018 Ram 2500 CTD
IchLiebeBier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 1,089
Yea I think its very Plausible. I mean without WDH the rear would ride lower bringing the overall top of camper down, of course the nose of the truck would go up, and maybe send more air over top of the camper rather than into it reducing drag.
Would vary by truck and tongue weight, meaning a more softly sprung truck would sink more lowering the camper even more than something like a more heavily sprung vehicle.

Being A life long Motorcyclist its amazing what a small change in your windscreen does to everything above it.

Sure couldnt imagine 15% though.
__________________
Ron and Kathy
2019 Cougar 369BHS 5'VR
2018 Cherokee Limited 304 BH (Traded)
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 CTD
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,640
the first time the bars were off she probably towed with a tailwind thus making her believe the bars did the trick and not the wind...
__________________
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern Delaware
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Last weekend at a campground, a newbie lady camper said that she got better gas mileage without her WDH spring bars. I asked her why she removed them, and she said that when pulling up to a gas pump, one bar fell off the hanger and swung out, and she needed to remove them to turn..She said that the installing dealer told her to not back up with the spring bars in place!

Looking at her installation, with her Tundra and 5500 lb. TT straight in line, the end of the spring bars did not extend much past the center of the bar hangers.. A criminal installation, IMHO. She said they didn't make towing feel any differently to her without them, which is hard for me to believe unless they were most likely not set up right from the get-go. They were 10K bars, BTW..

But aside from that, she was adamant about getting up to 15% better fuel mileage..No altitude changes, wind direction or speed changes along the second half of her trip, she stated so very confidently..

Finally, my question...How is that possible??
Trying to convince her that she is??? My fuel usage on the computer average, coasting downhill will read 99 mpg.
Now you're getting close to religion and politics.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern Delaware
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea I think its very Plausible. I mean without WDH the rear would ride lower bringing the overall top of camper down, of course the nose of the truck would go up, and maybe send more air over top of the camper rather than into it reducing drag.
Would vary by truck and tongue weight, meaning a more softly sprung truck would sink more lowering the camper even more than something like a more heavily sprung vehicle.

Being A life long Motorcyclist its amazing what a small change in your windscreen does to everything above it.

Sure couldnt imagine 15% though.
Baloney, with the nose of the T V up, you're running uphill all the time. 🤪
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 3,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Yea I think its very Plausible. I mean without WDH the rear would ride lower bringing the overall top of camper down, of course the nose of the truck would go up, and maybe send more air over top of the camper rather than into it reducing drag.
Would vary by truck and tongue weight, meaning a more softly sprung truck would sink more lowering the camper even more than something like a more heavily sprung vehicle.

Being A life long Motorcyclist its amazing what a small change in your windscreen does to everything above it.

Sure couldnt imagine 15% though.
I would think it's the opposite, the front of the TV goes up allowing the underside components to more directly interfere with aerodynamic forces, thus the wind resistance goes up along with fuel consumption.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 184
It is possible. Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch. What happens is the the TV keeps activating differential braking trying to correct for forces being created by the sway control on the hitch. It creates drag and therefore more fuel consumption. I’ve heard of this happening quite a few times.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,310
Quote:
Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch.
Which ones? With a claim of "many" the list should be long.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Which ones? With a claim of "many" the list should be long.

-- Chuck
I know Blue Ox mentions it and I believe Equalizer does as well right off the top of my head. It can happen with sway control that stiffens the pivot point though.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 306
Guess I’d better reread the owners manual for my blue ox. And the Ford explanation of when their sway control kicks in. But hey if it’s on the internet it must be true.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,640
come on guys... 6 inch difference in height of trailer might account for 0.1 MPG difference... maybe, but I doubt it
__________________
“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” – Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
It is possible. Many hitch manufacturers mention turning off sway control on the vehicle because it may fight and work against the sway control of the hitch. What happens is the the TV keeps activating differential braking trying to correct for forces being created by the sway control on the hitch. It creates drag and therefore more fuel consumption. I’ve heard of this happening quite a few times.
On my last TV ('12 F150), I activated the sway control a few times in very windy conditions. It was VERY noticeable when the brakes started activating, the throttle was dumped, the pedal shook, and you heard the noise of the ABS. I would hope she would notice this and mention it as an "oh, but also, the thing tries to drive itself once in a while and everything goes crazy".
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 6,702
I have an E4 and I keep the sway control activated. Never been in enough of a sway condition where I felt it. I went through the E4 manual and could not find ANY mention of turning off a vehicles built in sway control.
__________________
2017 Coachmen 233RBS
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco
"Common sense is not very common"
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:54 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 184
Vehicle manufacturers will start pulsing the rear brakes long before the dash light comes on. A simple way to test for this is to check the vehicle rear brake temperatures. The next time you are a towing on a windy breezy day or any day for that matter check those temperatures with a non contact thermometer or use your hand but be careful not to burn yourself. If the rear brakes are pulsing your going to lose mpg. This was a big concern some years ago particularly on Fords f150 which seemed to be very aggressive with the stability control. A significant increase in mpg was reported by turning off trailer sway control.
__________________

Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mpg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.


×