Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Fun-loving Fool

Beware Tongue Jack Failure - Salem 2022 FSH178

The tongue jack failed on my brand new (mid summer 2021 manufactured date) Salem 178BHKSX! I purchased this new less than a month ago.

I have not even taken it out for a spin yet. This happened when repositioning it in my driveway. Tanks were empty and no added weight inside.

When jacking it up, it suddenly gave way (inside the jack) and dropped about 8 inches! Luckily no toes were in the way. A reminder to always be cautious when working around the jack.

It was an easy replacement with a heavier duty jack from Harbor Freight the next morning. I am just glad it happened in my driveway and not on a trip in the middle of nowhere.

I used a car floor jack to get up under it and the attached the truck to it before removing the tongue jack. Being in the driveway I had the right tools in my garage, but this would have been a major chore to fix while on the road.

Please be careful out there and consider upgrading your jack if you have a similar model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_111144.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	263859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_112152.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	263860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211003_121144.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	263861  
alaskajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #2

That HF model may not be of much better quality than the one that just failed.

I replaced our hand crank jack with an electric model and boy do I wish I’d done that sooner. LOL
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
Fun-loving Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
That HF model may not be of much better quality than the one that just failed.
Possibly, but visibly the difference in thickness and quality of material is significant. The stock jack appears to be made for a small utility trailer. But with the new one installed, it cranks significantly easier, the action is smoother, and just overall seems like a better product.

This is my second Harbor Freight jack and the first one never gave me trouble, but I did check reviews first online. This one had nothing but positive reviews.

If anyone else is interested, here is a link it:
3500 lb. A-Frame Weather Resistant Electric Trailer Jack with Drop Leg

The stock jack has no markings, labels, or imprinted numbers.

I'll do a follow-up post if I ever have any troubles with it. And that said, I do have a cover on order. I'm not going to take my chances with rain and snow getting inside the electrical compartment of the new jack.

Here is a link to the cover I ordered:

Trailersphere Easy Cover
Old 10-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
Fun-loving Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajohn View Post
.. visibly the difference in thickness and quality of material is significant. The stock jack appears to be made for a small utility trailer. But with the new one installed, it cranks significantly easier, the action is smoother, and just overall seems like a better product.
Here is a photo side by side comparison with the stock jack removed and the HF jack installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedfixed_LI.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	263870  
Old 10-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #5

Tongue Jacks

Personally, after having them on my last three trailers, I would never have a manual jack again. The electrics are absolutely wonderful!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
The tongue jack failed.... when jacking it up, it suddenly gave way (inside the jack) and dropped about 8 inches! Luckily no toes were in the way. A reminder to always be cautious when working around the jack.

Thanks for the warning! I never heard of this happening before (manual jack failing internally), but when I searched the internet I found a couple of old posts in this and other forums about manual and electric jacks suddenly failing internally and sending the trailer crashing to the ground like yours did (or back onto the trailer ball when disconnecting from the tow vehicle). I never gave it much thought... well, until now. I have a manual jack on an enclosed motorcycle trailer, and I always position myself very close to the A-frame when rotating the jack handle. Never noticed if my feet were underneath the A-frame or not, but now I'll be aware of this.

And keep us posted on how well that HF electric jack holds up. Some of their stuff has gotten a lot better quality over the years - compared to the 1/2" drive socket extensions I bought from them years ago that would twist like a pretzel when trying to loosen a bolt.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #7

please provide more detail if possible

I have the same trailer model (2021), but even if not, this is a catastrophic failure (at its level) that could affect many models. I think Forest River (and/or whoever makes these for FR) should be VERY interested in this. I once had a shear pin fail on a manual trailer jack and the failure mode was simply that that it wouldn't move (I replaced the shear pin and never had another problem - Thor brand trailer) - not collapse!
The failure mode you describe is incredibly dangerous. If possible, please let us (me) know what failed. A gear? A pin? Integrity of the steel?
Thank you very much in advance. I want to replace my jack, but I would also like to know what the weak point of the failed unit was.
Regards,
Jim
fuhze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #8

Report the jack failure to CPSC.
https://www.cpsc.gov/
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #9
Fun-loving Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Report the jack failure to CPSC.
https://www.cpsc.gov/
Thanks! I submitted the report.

Afterwards I noticed the following on the Forest River contact page which looks like is for vehicles instead of products. Thinking I might submit there as well.

Report Safety or other Vehicle Related Concerns
Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

Or you may call the toll free Vehicle Safety
Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or
(TTY: 1-800-424-9153)
Or visit www.safercar.gov
Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #10
Fun-loving Fool

Quote:
Thinking I might submit there as well... www.safercar.gov

Okay, well according to their system, they can't find information for my VIN. But it does say their form expired on 8/31/2021.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safet...le-information

So I'm blocked form reporting further there unless I call them.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #11
Fun-loving Fool

The saga continues...

I received notice from https://www.cpsc.gov/ that they would cancel my product safety warning because it was vehicle related and they don't do vehicle stuff.

So then I call the number on the nhtsa.gov website when their system failed to correctly identify my VIN. The lady I spoke with took my information, filed a case, and said that VINs often don't work for trailers on their website.

I am also sending the jack failure info (this thread) to the dealer just so they are aware.

Thanks,
John

Tags
salem