Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Bikes, hanging on the front mounted rack, are long enough to interfere with the head lights and turn signals?

I just now went out and measured mine. They are 5' 1" long. Even at 6', I don't thing the spokes and tires will interfere with the effectiveness of the lighting.
Ok, just went out today and moved the bikes to the front of the truck to check. Blocks nothing except grill on my GMC 2500HD. PA is not a front plate state so no worries there either.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I saw a tongue mounted bike rack I like. It is a A frame welded across the tongue frame between the battery box and the front of the trailer. The A frame has a hitch receiver socket welded on top. A receiver hitch bike rack mounts into the receiver socket. The height of the mount places the bikes above the propane tanks. The A frame looks like it is made of 2" square steel. Does anyone see a problem with mounting across the tongue?
sounds like the Toppoprails bike system, made in Canada. pretty expensive at $500-$700. only issue would be added tongue weight.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 AM   #23

Have you considered putting the hitch on the front side of your Tundra? Of course that would also create a problem if you wanted to look under the hood and maybe some visual restrictions. I do know some bike carriers do swing away from the bumper. So that might be a solution to the problem of accessibility to the engine. I really don't know how much of a problem it would cause with cooling of the engine. I've talked to some who say that it doesn't cause a problem at all because it doesn't restrict much of the air flow.
bobandpatsyrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The only problem I see with mounting the bikes on the front is blocking the headlights or turn signals, which may be an offense with some state traffic laws.

If your are really concerned why not just remove the wheels from the bike? Good wheel sets on your better bikes cost a pretty penny and you don't want them stolen anyway. So be sure to secure your wheels to the bike and frame as a safety measure.
bobandpatsyrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandpatsyrvers View Post
If your are really concerned why not just remove the tires from the bike? Good wheel sets on your better bikes cost a pretty penny and you don't want them stolen anyway. So be sure to secure your wheels to the bike and frame as a safety measure.
This turns out not to be an issue with my 2008 GMC Sierra. The tires do not block the lights and the air flow seems to be ok,as the engine temps are fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #26

We have been carrying 4 bikes inside the trailer using 2 mini racks, purchased at Lowes for $25/each.

Add a couple bungee cords and patience to get them in/out with whacking things, and it can be done. It can be messy if you have to depart in the rain...

Bob & Laura Langlois
2004 FR Shamrock 25BH
2002 Suburban
Bob Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #27

Picasa Web Albums - 11351261114590963... - Trailer pictures These were posted by jphillips on June 24 2010. This is the "A" frame mounted to the tongue I referenced in my earlier reply. I think I am going to build a rack based on this design. Thanks Joe.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #28

I solved part of my problem. We bought a tandem bike and it rides on top of the truck. Now, 2 bikes are much easier to store in the truck than 4!
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #29

I welded two reciever hitches directly to the frame not the bumper
rdsknfn_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsknfn_57 View Post
I welded two reciever hitches directly to the frame not the bumper
VERY nice.

Let me know how it holds up. I still have my aluminum cargo tray and may yet get to use it.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #31

herk 7769 the rack has been on the back since 07, i have been to oregon twice from central ca. and alot of trips to the high country, the only time it has been off was last month to repaint.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Could you take some photos of the way the receivers are attached to the frame? Your mod is very interesting and I would love to make it happen if at all possible.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #33

If anyone needs to, or MUST, use a rear mounted bike or utility rake on the rear of their trailer, I'd suggest a universal motor-home receiver. These are attached to the frame, instead of the bumper(which is not an actual bumper, it's a drain hose storage device).

There are many companies who manufacture and sell such a hitch.

Also, if you have an old receiver laying around, it can be modified by removing the frame mounting brackets and installing Weld-On brackets.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

FR states that frame hitch will invalidate the warranty

But...

When the warranty is over I may revisit this issue. I would like to see how the Redskin's contraption was attached to the frame. Especially since one of the receivers is in the center of his camper.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you can find hundreds of posts about upset owners who put a bike rack on the rear bumper of their ultra-lite trailer, only to find that the bumper failed and their bikes/rack were bouncing down the road.

bigger, heavier trailers, like 5th wheels, have beefier frames and bumpers. ultralites don't.
It may not be only ultralites that have this problem. My brother had the rear bumper twist off his '06 Cougar 5er. 3 bikes mounted on the carier. One of the bikes was ruined, the other 2 were OK.

He reworked his canoe carrier & the bikes are up front.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #36

herk7769 there are two 4" channels that go all the way across and are welded frame to frame, one up against the bumper and one 6" back, the recievers are then welded to them. Both recievers only have a tack weld on the bumper to keep them aligned. i put masking tape on the bumper to seperate it for the picture. The reason for the 2nd reciever is for the weight of the generator (179lbs) Thats alot of weight off to one side of the center reciever
Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsknfn_57 View Post
herk7769 there are two 4" channels that go all the way across and are welded frame to frame, one up against the bumper and one 6" back, the recievers are then welded to them. Both recievers only have a tack weld on the bumper to keep them aligned. i put masking tape on the bumper to seperate it for the picture. The reason for the 2nd reciever is for the weight of the generator (179lbs) Thats alot of weight off to one side of the center reciever
Really nice job. Your photos are going into my "future projects" folder.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #38

I purchased a ladder mounted bike rack, it works ok! You just need to make sure the tires are secure and cannot move. I out my sons BMX bikes on our and the forks shifted and the front pegs scratch up the fiberglass pretty bad!
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #39
Mrs. Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
If anyone needs to, or MUST, use a rear mounted bike or utility rake on the rear of their trailer, I'd suggest a universal motor-home receiver. These are attached to the frame, instead of the bumper(which is not an actual bumper, it's a drain hose storage device).

There are many companies who manufacture and sell such a hitch.

Hello all.
Thanks for all of the great info.... have been reading for hours.

I hope that I am allowed to post here even though I do not have a Forest River TT.
My hubby and I almost bought one, but there was just not enough room for his wheelchair.

We ended up getting a "new" 2009 Dutchman Aerolite 25FK because the floorplan was perfect for his chair.

Now, on to why I "quoted" this message.

We purchased a wheelchair lift because we could no longer use ramps.
WWW.AUC-MAN.COM
(Our lift will not be this large and it will have 2 actuators.)

It will be about 30" wide and 44" long.
It will have about a 5' height. (as tall as me! )

It will weigh about 165lbs WITH the actuators attached.
I plan on removing both of them before travel.

Ours will be permanently welded together so no having to "assemble and dissemble" every time. (yeh)

Please bare with me....I am getting to the question.....

The only way for us to carry this with us is to load it on the back of the T.T.
And, from what I have been reading it does not sound like a good idea.

Mike, will the frame receiver hitch you posted work for this?
(The LIFT is 2" receiver ready.)
ashamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #40
Jan Goldfield

I'm trying to figure out how to carry my mobility scooter and am running into the same problems. For now, I am using 10' ramps to get it into the PU truck, but that sure is not ideal. If anybody figures out how I can attach it to either the truck or the RV, please let me know.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike