Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You're funny.

I'm not in New England.. I'm in Georgia. I used to live in SoDak and I can't say I remember any one brand being any better than another when it came to rust.. they all got it in the same places.. wheel arches and cab corners. The Ram's were the first to go then followed by the Chevy's and the Ford's. I had a neighbor with a 3 yr old Dodge and was frustrated that the wheel arches were already going.

I think you seem butt hurt already. The 6.4 isn't even close to the 6.0.. not even close. It's much worse. It's got turbo and fuel system issues too.

Why y’all hatin on Ram?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #82

Do you have a live monitor?
It's essential when you own this drive train.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #83

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
You (The OP) came here looking for opinions, I gave mine along with others. If you didn’t want to hear the truth about your 6.0 you shouldn’t ask. You are in for a long expensive money train to no where.
Enjoy the ride.
Quote:
Having owned Fords for 35 years I know first hand how much crap they have put out, and the 6.0 is only beat out by the 6.4 but not by much.
The truck is already 15-years old, longest I have ever had a Ford product last up here in New England is 19-years before it rotted away in my driveway.
A truck that old, with the reputation it has is not worth putting the money into.
That is my opinion, you don’t have to agree and I won’t be all butt hurt over it like everyone defending the 6.0.

Quote:
Don’t care how much money you dump into a 6.0 motor, it is still a 6.0 that nobody (knowingly) would want to buy from you. People can try to justify all they want how good a motor it can be once you dump a boat load of money into it, that is the equivalent of buying a $20k trailer and putting $10k worth of work into it to make the trailer still only worth $10k by the time your done with it. Get how dumb that argument sounds now?
Cut your losses and sell the truck for what ever you can get for it and put the money towards something notably more reliable.
Maybe the OP was looking for useful information and not unsubstantiated, arm-waiving opinion.

You characterize your unsubstantiated opinion as "truth" and characterize everyone who disagrees as "butt hurt." This forum should not be used as a teen-age testosterone contest.

Reasonable people may not think it wise to panic-sell a vehicle in need of repair "for whatever you can get." Reasonable people may differ on the wisdom of repairs.

You rage about how horrible Fords are for the 35 years you owned them? All Fords are worse than all other brands? Maybe YOU should sell your Fords and not buy any more.

Funny Ford has sold more trucks than ANYONE. Funny that Ford and Bulletproof Diesel are doing fine with plenty of happy customers.

Just like Chevy & Dodge.

FWIW: My 2006 6.0 has pulled my 15K lb 5er 15K miles with great reliability and has never let me down. It has 125K odo, has the best drivetrain of its era, runs great and has no rust. IF it ever needs to be Bulletproofed I will do it. I'd have the same truck with a rock-solid, better-than-new engine. I would not have a new truck, but by Bulletproofing I would spend $6K, not $65K. If I wanted to spend $65K on a new truck, I'd just do it regardless of my analysis of Bulletproofing or anyone else's opinion.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #84

As the OP I was not looking for advice....I know all about the 6.0 and its pitfalls. My post was more of sharing my recent story since buying a bigger trailer...which seems to have pushed the 6.0 into its (expected) chain of events. I was hoping to hear other war stories from folks driving the 6.0. This is a community forum after all.

It is funny how folks get so twisted up over brand names. Every manufacturer puts out a dud on occasion. I think the 6.0 set a new High for 'oh crap". I bought it...did not know its reputation...first diesel ever...started reading and learning...realized there was the potential for $$$ outlay...didn't want to flip it...new trucks are criminally priced...it had 41k miles and was a mint 12 yr old truck...figured I had some time...well...the time has arrived.

To give an update...got the truck last Friday. New oil cooler and screen, cleaned turbo, e*r del***, new ipr valve, oil change, etc. Picked it up and headed home 40min away. About 10min from home, at slower speeds, the truck started running rough. At the first full stop the truck shook terribly (like the motor was trying to fall out of it). Made it home.

Yesterday, start-up was rough...it would crank and the buck, crank and buck and then finally started after about a minute. Later I crawled under the hood and checked every electrical and injector connector I could access. Truck started fine so I decided on a test drive (4 miles to the AutoZone for fuel additive). About 2.5 miles into this journey it started running rough and progressively got worse as I pulled into AutoZone. It was really struggling and would not idle smoothly. Turned off the motor and it would not restart. At times it was crank-buck and finally it simply turned over...nothing. Stranded. DW to the rescue.

Tow service delivered my truck back to the shop. $180 the shop owes me for that!

Thinking back to Friday. When I pulled away from the shop the engine hesitated a couple times coming away from two full stops. I noticed it but ignored it because I was back on the stock tune...had not run stock in years. Thought it was turbo lag. Besides, everything seemed just fine once it was spinning up and accelerating on the highway.

The saga continues...at least until Monday morning when I call the shop to say "hey, you notice that gold truck in your parking lot...well...?"

Camping History: 2004 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS, 2002 Coleman Grand Tour Elite Niagara, Six Person Tent, Two Person Tent
stepheneadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Get it bullet proofed.
X2 Anything else is just Wasting your money
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #86

Good luck with your truck, if I was one of those that were out of line my apologies
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Maybe the OP was looking for useful information and not unsubstantiated, arm-waiving opinion.

FWIW: My 2006 6.0 has pulled my 15K lb 5er 15K miles with great reliability and has never let me down. It has 125K odo, has the best drivetrain of its era, runs great and has no rust. IF it ever needs to be Bulletproofed I will do it. I'd have the same truck with a rock-solid, better-than-new engine. I would not have a new truck, but by Bulletproofing I would spend $6K, not $65K. If I wanted to spend $65K on a new truck, I'd just do it regardless of my analysis of Bulletproofing or anyone else's opinion.
LOL, thanks for playing.
Sounds like the OP has made his decision and has everything under control.
Good luck!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #88

I'm very confident that my information was more than helpful.
I have lots of personal experience with this HORRIBLE engine.
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post

You characterize your unsubstantiated opinion as "truth" and characterize everyone who disagrees as "butt hurt." This forum should not be used as a teen-age testosterone contest.

Reasonable people may not think it wise to panic-sell a vehicle in need of repair "for whatever you can get." Reasonable people may differ on the wisdom of repairs.

You rage about how horrible Fords are for the 35 years you owned them? All Fords are worse than all other brands? Maybe YOU should sell your Fords and not buy any more.

Funny Ford has sold more trucks than ANYONE. Funny that Ford and Bulletproof Diesel are doing fine with plenty of happy customers.

Funny that Dodge/Ram has sold more Diesel trucks than anyone in pickups. Funny how generator and other industrial manufacturers don’t have 6.0 Diesels or any Ford pickup Diesels in their equipment. There are manufacturers making adaptation kits to put Cummins engines in both Ford and Chevrolet, never saw a kit to put a 6.0 in anything.
Most vehicles are sold on style and features, it started with Harley Earl and Virgil Exner.
I don’t speak from opinion but experience, 60 years in the automotive business.
However I would recommend the fix over selling as is. Then sell and offer paperwork. When I saw that engine coming out the first thing that caught my attention was 4 head bolts per cylinder on a Diesel! You can go to studs, and fire rings but still not enough studs. Bulletproof is a misnomer, it is field upgraded. GM was the first to build a truck/car Diesel that had even more inherent flaws back in 1978.
Interesting facts are that Cummins didn’t have an EGR valve or cooler in that era,
But you knew that.
More interesting facts are that Cummins doesn’t mount the cooling fan to the water pump but on a separate larger bearing and the water pump which fits all 5.9 and 6.7 engines is designed for quick replacement with 2 bolts and an “O”ring. Things you find from an engine maker.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #90

Guessing the OP didn’t get good news on his truck??

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Funny that Dodge/Ram has sold more Diesel trucks than anyone in pickups. Funny how generator and other industrial manufacturers don’t have 6.0 Diesels or any Ford pickup Diesels in their equipment. There are manufacturers making adaptation kits to put Cummins engines in both Ford and Chevrolet, never saw a kit to put a 6.0 in anything.
Most vehicles are sold on style and features, it started with Harley Earl and Virgil Exner.
I don’t speak from opinion but experience, 60 years in the automotive business.
However I would recommend the fix over selling as is. Then sell and offer paperwork. When I saw that engine coming out the first thing that caught my attention was 4 head bolts per cylinder on a Diesel! You can go to studs, and fire rings but still not enough studs. Bulletproof is a misnomer, it is field upgraded. GM was the first to build a truck/car Diesel that had even more inherent flaws back in 1978.
Interesting facts are that Cummins didn’t have an EGR valve or cooler in that era,
But you knew that.
More interesting facts are that Cummins doesn’t mount the cooling fan to the water pump but on a separate larger bearing and the water pump which fits all 5.9 and 6.7 engines is designed for quick replacement with 2 bolts and an “O”ring. Things you find from an engine maker.

You do know Cummins is a Heavy Truck engine, and only thing that saved Dodge was having the exclusive contract with Cummins to use that engine in their trucks. I have driven Cummins powered Freightliners back in the 80's, good solid engines, designed for quick maintenance because a truck makes no money sitting in a shop. Now if Dodge could keep the bodies from rusting out in the first 2 years in the north, maybe more would be sold. Main reason I stayed away from Ram, I want it to last more than a few years up here.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #92

"Hate to tell you this, but Dmax's have issues too."They all do, but nothing like the 6.0
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #93

Yday's update. The FICM failed. Item #4 on the official bulletproof list.

It was removed during the other work and I guess the handling of it led to its demise. Interestingly enough the FICM was dated 2012...so it was not the original unit. Also means the FICM failed the original owners under 40k miles. I got 50k miles out of this one! One would hope would fix the dam part already!!

Shop was working to warranty the unit. Waiting...

Shop told me he would see 4 injectors working...rap the FICM with a rubber handled wrench and then have 8 injectors. Rap it again and be back to 4 injectors.

So...it will be 60% bulletproofed...lacking only the head studs and water pump. It can't bear the official "BulletProof" name because I did not use their parts. Not that it matters.

Just really miss having my truck...missing too many camping weekends.

Camping History: 2004 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS, 2002 Coleman Grand Tour Elite Niagara, Six Person Tent, Two Person Tent
Old 10-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #94

".lacking only the head studs and water pump"
Which will be done?
Old 10-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #95

as you can see by my sig.what i have,and where i live,we are close to each other,e-mail me through the forum if you like with a phone # or way to contact you,i can go into detail all i did to mine and i have pictures

paul
Old 10-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
".lacking only the head studs and water pump"
Which will be done?
I am leaving them alone. Will deal with studs when and if needed. With the egr out of the way my risk has dropped dramatically.

Same for waterpump...do it when needed.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #97

Have a shop block off the EGR and the cooler lines and you should be good to go. On a 6.4 you have bought the ranch.
Fish N Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #98

Just had a 2013 6.0 work truck die on us a few weeks back. Only 120k on it before it’s death
Old 10-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
Just had a 2013 6.0 work truck die on us a few weeks back. Only 120k on it before it’s death
Unless it was a 2009 Econoline van (the last production year for the 6.0), I'm doubting it was a 6.0.

The last year the 6.0 was used by Ford in a truck was 2007.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #100

Um yeah, I have a 2012 with the 6.7, so if someone put a 6.0 in a 2013, y'all got ripped off!
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, lite