Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 12:36 AM   #1

Blown around and sucked in

I have an F150 towing a 7000'ish pound trailer. First two trips I didn't notice a thing and went up and down mountains and got to my destination without issue. Last weekend the wind was really blowing me around and I felt like I was being sucked into other vehicles as they passed (not just semis).

Question is, would I have felt all that with a bigger truck? I'm wondering what is just the reality of wind and what you feel no matter the tow vehicle versus the idea that a 3/4 or 1 ton would really make a difference in that situation.

Details if needed:
2017 F150 screw 3.5 eco
32' Rockwood 2702
In the Rocky Mountains

Thanks in advance!
Lecasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #2

I think the wind coupled with 32 feet of trailer behind you was the biggest culprit.

I bigger heavier truck can only compensate for so much and length of the trailer and wind loading is not something easily defeated.

JMHO...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Team

What's your TT's GVWR?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

I still get that too with mine and the TV has a cap on it
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
What's your TT's GVWR?
Are you using any kind of a sway control weight distribution hitch?
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

My gvwr is 7000 with a curb weight in the 5300 neighborhood.

Yes to wdh, I'm using an Equalizer 10k.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I think the wind coupled with 32 feet of trailer behind you was the biggest culprit.

I bigger heavier truck can only compensate for so much and length of the trailer and wind loading is not something easily defeated.

JMHO...
Exactly. Everyone that tows anything of consequence feels the affects of wind. Especially bumper pulls, and especially around semis. If you have your hitch setup correctly, about all you can do is watch the weather and decide how much wind is too much for you and your rig. We start really paying attention to wind when the forecast is 20mph. Anything near 30mph and we usually change plans. In the southwest we sometimes find ourselves travelling at night to avoid gusting winds. Good luck and be safe!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

JMHO...
x2
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #9

I don't get pushed with my current rig more than what I was towing the previous 23IKSS so I consider the current situation "normal".
That being said, for our next trip I'll install the below vortex generators because of the several reports that it eliminates the pushing (?).
Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Exactly. Everyone that tows anything of consequence feels the affects of wind. Especially bumper pulls, and especially around semis. If you have your hitch setup correctly, about all you can do is watch the weather and decide how much wind is too much for you and your rig. We start really paying attention to wind when the forecast is 20mph. Anything near 30mph and we usually change plans. In the southwest we sometimes find ourselves travelling at night to avoid gusting winds. Good luck and be safe!
What he said!

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I don't get pushed with my current rig more than what I was towing the previous 23IKSS so I consider the current situation "normal".
That being said, for our next trip I'll install the below vortex generators because of the several reports that it eliminates the pushing (?).
Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome
Now you've done it. Some call airtabs snake oil. My buddy, who has to buy every new gadget, installed these. Of course he rants and raves about the difference they make. His wife just shakes her head and says the only difference she can tell is in his head. And yep, she drives the rig also.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

Just be ready for the push

Wind is s blowing? Slow down. Wind pressure is given by the equation P = 0.00256 x V2, where V is the speed of the wind in miles per hour (mph). The unit for wind pressure is pounds per square foot (psf). For example, if the wind speed is 70 mph, the wind pressure is 0.00256 x 70 squared = 12.5 psf. The wind pressure at 50 MPH is 6.4 psf or about half that at 70 MPH.

On two lane roads I rarely tow in excess of 60 MPH and when I see an oncoming semi I increase the distance between us to decrease the hit coming from the front of the truck. As soon as the truck passes the vacuum off the rear of the truck will want to suck you towards the center line. Make any steering corrections very gentle or you could start a wicked sway with the push and pull effect.

West of my city lie the Bonneville Salt Flats and semis tip over out there when they get crosswinds of 40-60 MPH. If they are unloaded or lightly loaded they are better off exiting the freeway or hiding under a road overpass.

WDH really work but if you react by turning the wheel, they want to keep moving in that direction rather than straighten out. I had a flight instructor one time that watched my really fight to maintain a constant altitude in a small plane with up and down drafts. After a while he said the generally the ups and downs balance themselves out so just maintain a constant pressure on the yoke and life will be much better. I think the same rule could allpy to hauling a TT.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

We normally set our trailers up with the front 1- 1 1/2 " lower to offset the raising effect of the front of the trailer at higher speeds. Air will tend to lift the front of the trailer a bit and take some weight off of the hitch thus contributing to more sway. Our present trailer is 36' long and a bumper pull and is rounded in the front from top to bottom. We have an E-qualizer WDH with 1400# bars. Hitch weight empty is 1275# and loaded is probably over 1400#.

Do we still get sway? Trucks and other traffic do not seem to have any effect when passing. Direct X-winds over 20-25 MPH do still have a negative effect. I have had a F150 3.6 ECCO with a 30' trailer and now drive a F250 super duty diesel.

Jack
Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
... the only difference she can tell is in his head. And yep, she drives the rig also.
Ref. Airtabs:
I don't believe that you can save $ on gas as they claim, at least on RV application, but several people reporting improvement on the pushing when semis are passing and a "clean" rear wall got me interested on it.
It's possible that I will find out no difference whatsoever but for the relative low cost I'm willing to try.

As for the perceived difference in driving of your friend wife, the only thing I can tell is that my wife is sure she drives better than me and I don't argue with that! ...
It's just an annoying fact that I can get better fuel economy....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm going to say that you can never have too much truck!

An F-250/2500 would be much better, no matter what the naysayers say...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:

JMHO...
I agree also. Our 2500 helps us stay in our lane and avoid white knuckles, but doesn't stop the trailer from getting sucked towards other vehicles sometimes. I just try and stay on the far side of our lane as much as possible, and don't stay next to vehicles in the other lane, just continue past them.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #17

My F150 3.6 ECCO was better in crosswinds when I turned off sway control in truck and let the WDH with sway control bars handle the x-winds.They seemed to work against each other and made it worse.

My F250 Superduty Diesel works just the opposite. Sway control on on the truck with WDH and Sway Bars working together is best.

Jack
Old 04-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecasmer View Post
My gvwr is 7000 with a curb weight in the 5300 neighborhood.

Yes to wdh, I'm using an Equalizer 10k.
Is your hitch a 4 Point Equalizer brand hitch. if not that is your problem
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Is your hitch a 4 Point Equalizer brand hitch. if not that is your problem
Yes, it is the 4 point Equalizer brand.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #20

This is what happens when you decrease the weight of the tow vehicle. Ford dropped 100's of pounds from the F150 when they went to the new aluminum body. Now you have less weight on the tires of the truck and that means less inertia control over the TT's sway.
If you haven't yet, try airing up the trucks tires to the sidewall max. TT tires should also be aired to the sidewall max.
Make sure you've returned the front of the truck to the original ride height or as close as possible. Make sure the TT is parallel to the ground or slightly nose down if needed.
Guessing you already have the EQ bars parallel to the trailers tongue to maximize the friction needed to help with sway.
And finally do you know your towing weights? The TT's tongue weight should be at least 12-13% for optimum stability. The more the better.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote