Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #21

I chose Blue Ox

First, a caveat... I have not yet towed our new V-lite with the Blue Ox hitch. My first trip is still a couple weeks away.

I towed my Rockwood 2604SS using the Equal-i-zer 10K 4-point for five years, and it served me well. After a recent upgrade to a longer, heavier TT, I looked for a higher rated WDH. I could have chosen a new 12K or 14K Equal-i-zer. After lots of research and input from members here, I chose the Blue Ox 1500. Here's why:

1) Weight. Equal-i-zer 10K hitch, shank, bars, brackets, and pins weigh 96.8 lbs. A 12K or 14K setup would likely weigh more, although I've never weighed them. The Blue Ox 1500 components weigh 79.0 lbs. That’s at least 17.8 lbs less tongue weight.

2) Technology. The Equal-i-zer sway controls utilize a proven (although older) friction technology at the hitch head and L brackets to prevent sway. Blue Ox uses engineered bars that are designed to flex. Sway is "restrained" at the head and brackets. The system is always working. In a sway event, the system is designed to "steer" the trailer back to the TV centerline.

3) Maintenance. The EQ hitch requires frequent cleaning and re-greasing of the socket/head mating surfaces. These areas are a magnet for road grime. Annual painting of the friction surfaces on the bars/brackets kept the rust controlled. The BX requires occasional grease at two zerk fittings on the bar sockets. Easier. Cleaner.

4) Adjustments: Getting the weight distribution right with the EQ will require removing the head from the shank and adding/removing washers to set the head angle and downward force of the bars. L-brackets may need to be adjusted, too. Force on the BX bars is achieved by adjusting the number of links captured by the rotating brackets on the trailer frame and can be easily adjusted on the fly if load or conditions change.

5) Setup: Hitching/unhitching with the EQ is fairly easy, but there are more small parts to deal with (L-pins, clips, socket pins, etc.) The BX setup requires no pins or clips. Hitching is easier, cleaner, and, because of the reduced weight, more "back-friendly."

6) Ride: Experience of others indicate towing with the BX results in a smoother ride because of the designed-in flex of the bars. The TV to TT connection is not as rigid, and the result is a "dampening" of rough road conditions with no loss of weight distribution. I'm anxious to see if this is my experience, too.

Good luck with whichever you choose. You can't go wrong with either.
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #22

I pulled trailers of all kinds and weights for decades. When I sold the TT and went to a 5er the hitch was part of the deal. Had to pull for a friend about 1000 miles. I bought a 1000/10,000 Equalizer and used it twice. Once properly setup there is nothing to do but lube it once in a while. Far easier to use and the technology is old ~~ best there is and never been improved on. So now the hitch sits in the garage until someone wants a deal,,,,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #23
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I notice some comment from folks not towing the longer heaver tt with either hitch. Wait till you tow one 35ft and see how much nicer the Egual-i-zer hitch is. BTW why would you be lubing these hitches you are defeting the purpose of preventing sway. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #24

Lube the hitch~~ the sway bolts are to be at about 65# torque but the factory ships much higher. Two ways to help that~~~ either drop them back to proper torque or wait to they wear down to proper tightness.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I'm going to have to get a new w/d hitch and have narrowed the choice to the Blue Ox or EQ. Any recommendations as to which is best?

I have to deal with two different hitch weights (1,600 or 1,350), depending on whether or not the Harley is loaded in the back of the TT. Trailers weight if 7,660 ready to go camping.
E-qualizer brand is the best on the market ease of use also
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I notice some comment from folks not towing the longer heaver tt with either hitch. Wait till you tow one 35ft and see how much nicer the Egual-i-zer hitch is. BTW why would you be lubing these hitches you are defeting the purpose of preventing sway. Later RJD
NO only lube the ball equalizers use of friction 4 point stableizes better without as recommended by factory.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #27

emm-dee,
Take a look at the Andersen Hitch. I never had Blue OX but had a couple of EQ hitches. Once, a few years back, I was setting the weight distribution and could not find my regular home built longer handle and defaulted to using their short handle. I like to set the bars aggressively and as a result -- a back operation and the inability to ever lift as I used to.
The Andersen replaced the older EQ (several I would sell -- complete) and I will never go back. Faster to hitch, can back up with it, absolutely quiet, turns pretty short, no weight bars, just put a ratchet on the big nut that adjusts the chain tension. Easy, fast and quiet. I have been through the Columbia Gorge on I-5 which often has very strong winds that swirl around and is locally known as somewhat treacherous to towed vehicles. No swaying and no problems in pretty high swirling winds.
Now, I use air bags and adjustable hitch so I tow completely level and the Andersen hitch because it is light, quick and quiet. Best rig I have found. Just do an internet search for "Andersen Hitch" and their web site comes up. Really saves my back, speeds up taking off in the morning and lets me back up without having to drop everything,.
2003 Monaco Executive 45, ISX Cummins & manual Jacobs compression brake
2013 Chevy 2500 HD Silverado crew cab Duramax diesel 4WD
27'Outback toy hauler
18' hydraulic steel deck tilt bed trailer (24' overall) to haul Chevy behind the Monaco.
MacII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #28

WDH

Blue Ox. Quiet. Very robust. WD bars can be inter- changed depending on expected tongue load. Sway control is precise and easily adjustable using torque bolts on the underside of the unit. Grease fittings make it clean. And, you don't have to unhitch in order to back up the rig. Just remember to take the tension off the bars before you attempt to release them.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Blue Ox. Quiet. Very robust. WD bars can be inter- changed depending on expected tongue load. Sway control is precise and easily adjustable using torque bolts on the underside of the unit. Grease fittings make it clean. And, you don't have to unhitch in order to back up the rig. Just remember to take the tension off the bars before you attempt to release them.

Are you saying the Equalizer needs to be unhitched prior to backing? The friction add on sway control was eliminated many years ago. No need to grease it ever. just raise the tongue and the bars are easily released. The Blue Ox is a fine outfit but I used Equalizer for decades prior to getting the 5er just months ago.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #30

I too have a blue ox. My TT is 4000 lbs dry and 4500 ready to camp. My TV is a Nissan Titan. The Blue ox was recommended by the dealer. I have had no issues with it since purchase. As long as you follow the instructions it works flawlessly. Yes, you can swap out the bars on the hitch depending on the weight limits. The Blue Ox hitches support from 350 lb. tongue weight up to 2000 lb. tongue weight. It does list a minimum of a 200 lb. tongue weight is required.

The weight ratings for the bars are marked with a DOT system to identify the weight rating:

No dots = 350 lbs.
1 dot = 550 lbs.
2 dots = 750 lbs.
3 dots = 1000 lbs.
4 dots = 1500 lbs.
5 dots = 2000 lbs.

I have not had any issues (other then the dealer had it set wrong when I drove it off the lot). I fixed this myself.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #31

My blue ox performs perfectly. TT is 4500 lbs. ready to camp. My TV is a 2005 Nissan Titan.

Info on the blue ox is here: Sway Pro With Clamp On Brackets

I like the fact that I don't have to purchase a new WDH system if I upgrade the trailer.

Dealer had it set wrong but I fixed it on my way home from the dealer. Otherwise, its works great. You do need to review the instructions on safety.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #32

My vote----the Blue Ox!!! My Ram pulls my 7500 lb trailer like a charm, minimal sway and rides level!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #33

I had the Equl-I-zer and was able to trade it in for a Blue Ox. Glad I did it handles better the the other.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
My blue ox performs perfectly. TT is 4500 lbs. ready to camp. My TV is a 2005 Nissan Titan.

Info on the blue ox is here: Sway Pro With Clamp On Brackets

I like the fact that I don't have to purchase a new WDH system if I upgrade the trailer.

Dealer had it set wrong but I fixed it on my way home from the dealer. Otherwise, its works great. You do need to review the instructions on safety.
Notice another trailer short in length. Of course it will work good so will the Equl-I-ze. Not quite a good comparison. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Notice another trailer short in length. Of course it will work good so will the Equl-I-ze. Not quite a good comparison. Later RJD
Actually, a fine comparison considering the same BO hitch with different bars can handle up to 2000# tongue weight. The op asked for opinions and he has gotten quite a few good ones...including the ones for BO.

I'm glad you are as sold on your EQ as others are on their BO...both work as advertised...small or big TT...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #36

I thank all of you for the comments, etc. Very helpful information. Since my trailer has different hitch weights depending on the motorcycle loading I've ordered a hitch scale (tomorrow delivery, I hope). Using that I'll be able to make a final decision. Will let y'all know.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Comments in red:
Fantastic, -dog! Keep on trucking.
Like I've said here or elsewhere, move people love the system they have, especially if it has integrated sway control.
Chances are we won't find anybody that has used both the Equal-izer, and the Blue Ox.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #38

Quote:
You must lube the socket surfaces, where they slide against the head during a turn. How do I know, you ask?
Because I've been lazy the last 2 years, and have not been lubing mine. The top surfaces of the sockets are slightly worn, such that even when I over-torque the lower socket bolts, there is a noticeable reduction in effort required to rotate the bars (by hand, before engaging). I have not noticed a decrease in sway prevention, likely because once the bars are engaged, there is still enough contact to provide significant rotational friction.

I sent the company an email this week, and will be sending pics soon, in hopes of getting some new sockets to rebuild.

So, definitely follow the instructions regarding lubrication, Equil-i-zer, Blue Ox, or otherwise.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #39

I really appreciate all the comments and information y'all have given me in this thread.

Now, I have more helpful information but not quite sure how to use it. I got a Sh Sherline tongue weight scale today and was able to get some extremely accurate numbers.

With the Harley loaded in the back of the Vengeance, and everything else in place, I get a tongue weight (at the ball hitch point) of 1,125 pounds (14.9% of trailer weight). When I unload the Harley the tongue weight increases to 1,250 pounds (18%). Between the Equal-I-Zer and Blue Ox the bar spec choices are 1,200, 1,400 or 1,500 pounds. Which of those specs should I try to comply with?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
You must lube the socket surfaces, where they slide against the head during a turn. How do I know, you ask?
Because I've been lazy the last 2 years, and have not been lubing mine. The top surfaces of the sockets are slightly worn, such that even when I over-torque the lower socket bolts, there is a noticeable reduction in effort required to rotate the bars (by hand, before engaging). I have not noticed a decrease in sway prevention, likely because once the bars are engaged, there is still enough contact to provide significant rotational friction.

I sent the company an email this week, and will be sending pics soon, in hopes of getting some new sockets to rebuild.

So, definitely follow the instructions regarding lubrication, Equil-i-zer, Blue Ox, or otherwise.
The only thing that needs lube is the ball. Slide is suppose to be stiff to prevent the sway. Just guess you do not like the noise. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62

Tags
blue ox, equal-i-zer