Old 09-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Blue Ox Swaypro Question

I think I am having some issues with my BlueOx Swaypro hitch. TV is a 2019 Ram 1500, TT is a 2019 279RLDS, I have 1500# bars on the hitch, it pulls pretty good, but when I try to remove the swaypro it releases with a bang. I lift the TV pretty high in the air and when you look inside the rotating latches you can see the links are binding on the pivot point. It looks like the chain link width is wider then the width of the rotating latches. In the pictures below the first picture shows the wear on the pivot from the link, the 2nd picture is kind of hard to see but as I rotate the latch, you can see the link is wedged into the pivot, the latch is rotated 90 degrees and doesn't release until the weight of the trailer rips it out of the latch with a bang. The 3rd picture shows the top link at 2 o'clock and the chain to the spring bar is still vertical.

I have read posts where people have gotten hurt from releasing these spring bars and the comments typically are raise up the TV. Last picture shows how high I have the truck. It looks like the way the chain links are wedged at the pivot point it will be changing the geometry of the chain which is how it reduces sway, or am I over thinking this?

I have sent the pictures to Blue Ox and they told me to twist the chains. Does anyone else's hitch act like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2221.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	239279   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2223.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	239280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	239281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2222.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	239282  
Greg10yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #2

Welcome from New Jersey, Is there any letters or #s on your chain? Just looked at mine, The chain moves free, The chain is stamped VTF L7
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10yes View Post
I think I am having some issues with my BlueOx Swaypro hitch. TV is a 2019 Ram 1500, TT is a 2019 279RLDS, I have 1500# bars on the hitch, it pulls pretty good, but when I try to remove the swaypro it releases with a bang. I lift the TV pretty high in the air and when you look inside the rotating latches you can see the links are binding on the pivot point. It looks like the chain link width is wider then the width of the rotating latches. In the pictures below the first picture shows the wear on the pivot from the link, the 2nd picture is kind of hard to see but as I rotate the latch, you can see the link is wedged into the pivot, the latch is rotated 90 degrees and doesn't release until the weight of the trailer rips it out of the latch with a bang. The 3rd picture shows the top link at 2 o'clock and the chain to the spring bar is still vertical.

I have read posts where people have gotten hurt from releasing these spring bars and the comments typically are raise up the TV. Last picture shows how high I have the truck. It looks like the way the chain links are wedged at the pivot point it will be changing the geometry of the chain which is how it reduces sway, or am I over thinking this?

I have sent the pictures to Blue Ox and they told me to twist the chains. Does anyone else's hitch act like this?

I think those brackets that the chain fits in are cast. I had a problem with the supplied wrench. I had to go to a breaker bar. Those chains shouldn’t bind.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

The chains are stamped REE L7

I agree with the breaker bar, I got a 24” breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight, the stamped bar they provide was a very sloppy fit.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #5

I'm using a Blue Ox with 2000 lb bars and a 1350# tongue weight. Initially I was using a 24"+ breaker bar and still got some nasty chain releases. I always dreaded it.
Then I bought some StrapTeks. Huge difference in unhitching. No slamming chains. I still use a breaker bar but it's a nonevent when hitching or unhitching.
More money but I'd still pay extra just for the simplicity of it.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #6

It looks to me like your chain latches may need adjustment and remeasuring on the A frame of the trailer. The chain shouldn't be going that far into the latch. The chain latch locking bolt should be checked frequently to ensure proper torque is applied to the frame.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...mc_QaipbDoAw35

The only way the unhitching is difficult and the pressure release is great is when the procedure isn't being followed properly. You do want to lift the TV with the tongue jack to release this pressure but you don't have to raise it too much. You should always raise the TV for engaging the chains as well.

How many links are showing when under the chain latch when the unit is hooked up and ready to go?

The tension bar chain should always be straight inline with the cam lock.

Good luck
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #7

Mine does the same thing. I learned that if I pull (and hold) the release and work the cam back and forth with the wrench they release easier and without the torque slapping me to the ground. I just keep goin a bit more with each back/forth motion...4 or 5 gets it done.
hinkle_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #8

Why go through all the hassle of the cams and chain when the Strap Teks take all the dreaded chain whack out.
Just like the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton debate. You don't know what you're missing until you try it.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I'm using a Blue Ox with 2000 lb bars and a 1350# tongue weight. Initially I was using a 24"+ breaker bar and still got some nasty chain releases. I always dreaded it.
Then I bought some StrapTeks. Huge difference in unhitching. No slamming chains. I still use a breaker bar but it's a nonevent when hitching or unhitching.
More money but I'd still pay extra just for the simplicity of it.
Sounds like you weren't raising the tongue jack nearly enough when setting/releasing chains.

To the OP- my chains do not bind. Ever. You should call tech support at Blue Ox and have a talk. Please post back and tell us what they say.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Sounds like you weren't raising the tongue jack nearly enough when setting/releasing chains.

To the OP- my chains do not bind. Ever. You should call tech support at Blue Ox and have a talk. Please post back and tell us what they say.
On the contrary, I was lifting the rear of the truck (2018 Ram 2500 6.4) until the tires were almost off the ground. Initially I was using 1500 lb bars and cranked up with 2.5 or 1.5 links showing to get the front of the truck back where it was needed and to try and get rid of the floaty feeling. Never had an unhitch where the chains didn't slam out of the cams. When you have that much tension on you bars somethings gotta give.

I called BO and talked to a rep and we agreed that going with 2000 lb bars would make unhitching easier as I wouldn't have to crank the bars as tight. That made things less eventful but still in many occasions the release of the chains on one side or the other resulted in the chain slamming out of the cams. I suppose if I had 1000 lb bars and 700 lbs of TW that the tension would be far less and not cause the chains to slam out of the cams

In the end I watched a video of a guy that bought the Strap Teks and it sold me on them. I have zero issue hitching. In fact I could hitch and unhitch without lifting the back of the truck if needed, but I still do as it puts less strain on the ratchet mechanism.

As far as having everything line up, well thats impossible sometimes. Last place we were at was a pull through. No way the truck would be inline with the TT. So one chain would be out of kilter and much harder to release without slamming out of the cam.
With the StrapTeks I can be in any position and it makes no difference.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

According to my documentation the ninth link is the one that goes in the slot with 3.5 links showing at the bottom.
When I lift the rear of my dually I can actually set and release the chains with my bare hands.
I have 5 dots on my bars (2,000 lbs.)
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #12

Times X on the StrapTek. I hated unlatching my SwayPro even with a breaker bar. StrapTek FTW.

BTW, if anybody is looking I've got my Blue Ox SwayPro WITH StrapTek listed in the classified section. I moved on to a 5'er.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
Camper

Its hard to tell from your pictures but it seems your brackets are either on the wrong sides, rotating the wrong way or not positioned properly. The chain should nit be going into the pivot area and getting locked in there.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
Its hard to tell from your pictures but it seems your brackets are either on the wrong sides, rotating the wrong way or not positioned properly. The chain should nit be going into the pivot area and getting locked in there.
There's no left/right on the brackets. They are ambidextrous. The center of the bracket is supposed to be 29" from the center of the ball and that looks about right in the photo.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #15

I did measure back the 29", I have rechecked the installation numerous times. I lift up the tongue of the trailer quite high.

After reading some posts on some other forums I am starting to think it is crappy quality control. One person posted they went to look to see why the chain wasn't releasing when it suddenly gave away and hit them in the face with the wrench.

I agree with the other posters that the chain shouldn't bind.

Someone commented that the chain shouldn't go past the pivot point, I am attaching a picture I snipped from the official Blue Ox installation video showing the chain going right past the pivot point.

I have spoken with them on the phone and we have exchanged numerous emails. They say everything looks normal, but if I want to send them a video I can. Their one solution was that I should twist the chains 180 degrees, not sure what that will do, but I also remember reading someplace that twisting chain weakens the links.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #16

Blue ox now comes with A new style breaker bar. Way better

My friend called them and complained because the old style bar is rounding off the latches and they are sending him the new one.

It’s more like one that comes with your vehicle. Real heavy duty.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #17

I use a blue ox sway pro and I don't use a wrench or breaker bar. When I unhitch I use the tongue jack to lift the truck until I can move the bars with my foot, then pull the release and take them off by hand. I have taught my wife and daughter how to hitch and unhitch this way. If your chains are twisted they will bind up as you are finding out. I have 1500lb bars with a tongue weight of 1160lbs. This is the easiest hitch I have ever used. May need to lube the backside of the saddles to prevent any binding there.
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 AM   #18

I’ve had this happen a couple of times. It’s caused by the second or third hanging chain link being 90 degrees to the side plates and it’s too wide and gets caught on the grey pivot “bolt”. If you twist the chain the 180 like they told you it won’t be at 90 degrees when passing by that pivot bolt. You are lifting your truck more than enough.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #19

Thanks for everyone’s comments and ideas, got back from a trip and I did rotate the chain 180 like Blue Ox and a couple of people suggested. It helped a lot, the hitch was quieter and the bars came off like you would expect. I still question the basic design that the fit of the chain can bind in some cases, but twisting the chain appears to be a good work around.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #20
Professional Curmudgeon

I had it happen to me the other day. I was unhooking a Summerland. The location the factory had used to install the breakaway switch had forced me to mount the bracket in such a way that the chain was not perpendicular to the bracket. I normally set it up so that the 'U' bolt on the bar is straight below the center bolt of the bracket. This time, when I set it up, the 'U' bolt was trailing the bracket and the chain rode in the groove much farther through the rotation than it normally does. The rearward pressure didn't allow it to slip out at around the 4 o'clock position, instead, it was held in 'till the 6 o'clock position when it popped out.

Tags
blue ox, sway