Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 02:09 AM   #1

Blue OX Tow bar

We have a 2019 Sunseeker 2850 and are looking to flat tow. Looking at a used BlueOx Alpha tow bar...it Was serviced at a rally about four years ago....looks in good shape with very little surface rust( we live on the coast...everything rusts a little here.) We will be flat towing a 2800lb 2015 Mini Cooper manual trans.

Two questions:

1 any reservations about this used tow bar?

2 The seller also has an RVibrake2 brake system...?
Mbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

Unless I was moving my own equipment from one rv to another or from one car to another, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Why take a chance on a used tow bar or braking system? If either seriously malfunctions someone could get seriously injured or killed. Your not going to have any warranty if something goes wrong either.

Undoubtedly, you will get people replying theres nothing to worry about.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #3

Whether you buy equipment new or used, you have about the same chance of problems or failures. I’ve bought new stuff that doesn’t work, and used stuff that does work. If careful inspection shows the tow bar is in good shape, go for it. If any problems become apparent later, just fix it and move on, but I doubt you would have any trouble.

What is your second question, about the RVibrake2? In your post I see a statement followed by a question mark.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

RVi brake 2

I’m was wondering if anyone has experience with the RVi Brake 2.
Mbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbear12 View Post
I’m was wondering if anyone has experience with the RVi Brake 2.
Sorry, I have an RViBrake3, which I like, but I can’t offer any comment on the “2”.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #6

Product specs and reviews look pretty good to me. Might want to check the fitment for your Mini Cooper.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #7

We use the Blue Ox Alpha 2 tow bar and the RViBrake 3. We are very happy with both.

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #8

Check with Blue Ox but there is annual and other services recommended. Both items should be fine.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #9

Just be sure that the base plate you get is for a Blue Ox tow bar. As for brakes, I wouldn't even worry about aux brakes for a Mini behind towed behind my MH.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just be sure that the base plate you get is for a Blue Ox tow bar. As for brakes, I wouldn't even worry about aux brakes for a Mini behind towed behind my MH.
Having no auxiliary toad brakes may be illegal, depending where you travel.

Plus, without a toad braking system, there would be no breakaway safety system. Not putting auxiliary brakes on the toad would be irresponsible and potentially hazardous.

We tow a 2500 pound Fiesta. As light as it is, I wouldn’t think of towing it without auxiliary brakes, even though the tow rating on our MH is 7500 pounds.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Unless I was moving my own equipment from one rv to another or from one car to another, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Why take a chance on a used tow bar or braking system? If either seriously malfunctions someone could get seriously injured or killed. Your not going to have any warranty if something goes wrong either.

Undoubtedly, you will get people replying theres nothing to worry about.
Probably will differ on this one. We purchased a Blue OX tow bar and Blue Ox Patriot brake system together used for a fraction of the new prices. The tow bar was marginal for the toad, so we bought one new and sold the used one. The Patriot brake system was flawless. The buyers of our MH bought the used tow bar and it was flawless for them. Were it not for the tow bar weight limit, we would have had no hesitation to used.

Not seeing the OP's used components, it would depend on condition. The tow bars can also be reconditioned.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #12

A good visual inspection should be sufficient, Make sure everything is fairly tight. Every once in a while depending on use remove the boot and grease the cylinder well. Glad to see you are checking out brake systems, although you may not require them due to weight of mini I would strongly suggest them for the reasons already mentioned.

Not sure of the miles on my Blue Ox tow bar but it is four years old and apart from greasing the cylinder and tightening the bolts on the swivel points it is still good.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:45 PM   #13

Get an toad brake! My SMI brake is on it's fifth car. Easy to install. In a panic stop a 3,000 lb car can multiply it's weight/force several times over, overloading your RV's brake system and greatly increasing stopping distance. People have been successfully sued for a toad without a aux braking system. Lawyers ask, "If you had an aux brake system, would you been able to stop in a shorter distance? If so would the accident have been avoided?" Safe & Happy travels.
Frankiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #14

We also use the Blue Ox towbar and Patriot brakes on our Ford Fiesta. PA law requires brakes on a towed trailer. A breakaway device is required on a towed trailer 3000 lbs or more.

2014 Sunseeker 3050s
2011 Ford Fiesta
RBotr01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox