Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #1

Blue OX vs Equalizer 4 point hitch

In all my years of towing I've never owned a Blue Ox hitch. We just traded in our 2015 Wildwood on a Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS, a 32 foot trailer. The hitch I was using had a single friction slide stabilizer which I was unhappy with. The dealer only installs Blue Ox hitches.

I was planning on installing the Equalizer 4 Point hitch. Will the Blue Ox hitch do as good a job stabilizing the trailer? I'd rather have the dealer install the hitch as I'm no longer able to do the installation myself and they will only install the Blue Ox hitch.

Thanks for your advice,

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #2

Hello Bob. I can't speak to compare the equilizer hitch vs the blue ox... I only ever owned an equilizer with our previous TT. However, I fear you are in a sticky situation, as from what I have seen, the dealers very rarely take the time to adjust these hitches properly... they give you a starting point, but adjustments will need to be made. I hope, maybe, you can find a friend who could help you do that.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
In all my years of towing I've never owned a Blue Ox hitch. We just traded in our 2015 Wildwood on a Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS, a 32 foot trailer. The hitch I was using had a single friction slide stabilizer which I was unhappy with. The dealer only installs Blue Ox hitches.

I was planning on installing the Equalizer 4 Point hitch. Will the Blue Ox hitch do as good a job stabilizing the trailer? I'd rather have the dealer install the hitch as I'm no longer able to do the installation myself and they will only install the Blue Ox hitch.

Thanks for your advice,
Can't compare, but can say the Blue Ox is a great hitch and works well to transfer weight back to the TV as well as control sway.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #4

Are you able to put the hitch head in your receiver? If so you can do the setup on the equalizer, it's not that hard. After it is setup someone will have to torque some of the bolts. Took mine to CW and they did the torque.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

There is a YouTube channel "Less Junk More Journey" Towing a 30 ft Airstream. Just changed from Blue Ox to four point. Says less sway with the four point.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, I greatly appreciate your opinions. I have until Tuesday to decide if I want the dealer (Lazy Days in Tampa) to install the Blue OX or not. Our son (who is also retired) lives about an hour away and I'm sure he could help install the Equalizer 4 point system if need be. I can't lift much anymore or get down on my knees but I'm sure I can get help.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

I'm sure both would be equally fine. I have a Blue Ox and am COMPLETELY pleased with its performance...no sway. In gusty conditions, TT and TV move together, not independently. I like the adjustability of the Blue Ox. With lighter loads, I use 9 links, with heavier loads, I use 10 links. And should you move to another bigger/smaller trailer, only the bars would need to be replaced. This may be true with the Equalizer as well but I have no experience with it.

Bottom line, either will do the job quite well.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

I have personally used both a blue ox and an equalizer 4 point to tow the same trailer with the same truck. I actually went through 4 different hitches in my search for the right one. If you search back a couple of years in this forum, you'll find my lengthy post on this subject. Long story short, the equalizer wins hands down. And yes, everything was properly sized and adjusted. The weights were verified by cat scale. All things equal, the blue ox was just always more squirrelly. I got used to it on a 5000 mile trip, but my wife refused to drive because it made her uncomfortable. No such problem with the equalizer. Very steady, absolutely no sway for any reason. My wife is comfortable driving it. Enough said.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

I chose Blue Ox

I towed my Rockwood 2604SS using the Equal-i-zer 10K 4-point for five years, and it served me well. After a recent upgrade to a longer, heavier TT, I looked for a higher rated WDH. I could have chosen a new 12K or 14K Equal-i-zer. After lots of research and input from members here, I chose the Blue Ox 1500. Here's why:

1) Weight. Equal-i-zer 10K hitch, shank, bars, brackets, and pins weigh 96.8 lbs. A 12K or 14K setup would likely weigh more, although I've never weighed them. The Blue Ox 1500 components weigh 79.0 lbs. That’s at least 17.8 lbs less tongue weight.

2) Technology. The Equal-i-zer sway controls utilize a proven (although older) friction technology at the hitch head and L brackets to prevent sway. Blue Ox uses engineered bars that are designed to flex. Sway is "restrained" at the head and brackets. The system is always working. In a sway event, the system is designed to "steer" the trailer back to the TV centerline.

3) Maintenance. The EQ hitch requires frequent cleaning and re-greasing of the socket/head mating surfaces. These areas are a magnet for road grime. Annual painting of the friction surfaces on the bars/brackets kept the rust controlled. The BX requires occasional grease at two zerk fittings on the bar sockets. Easier. Cleaner.

4) Adjustments: Getting the weight distribution right with the EQ will require removing the head from the shank and adding/removing washers to set the head angle and downward force of the bars. L-brackets may need to be adjusted, too. Force on the BX bars is achieved by adjusting the number of links captured by the rotating brackets on the trailer frame and can be easily adjusted on the fly if load or conditions change.

5) Setup: Hitching/unhitching with the EQ is fairly easy, but there are more small parts to deal with (L-pins, clips, socket pins, etc.) The BX setup requires no pins or clips. Hitching is easier, cleaner, and, because of the reduced weight, more "back-friendly."

6) Ride: My experience towing with the BX from Indiana to Florida and to Utah has resulted in a smoother ride because of the designed-in flex of the bars. The TV to TT connection is not as rigid, and the result is a "dampening" of rough road conditions with no loss of weight distribution. I'm anxious to see if this is my experience, too.

Good luck with whichever you choose. You can't go wrong with either.
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #10

Thanks Roger! Very informative. I believe I'll let them install the Blue OX. If I don't like it I can sell it and install the other.

Thanks again,

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #11

I use the BlueOx

I can't speak for the Equalizer.

I pull a Cherokee 274DBH with my BlueOx. I really like it. Like said previously, it is pretty smooth and does keep the sway under control. I pull with my F150 Ecoboost just fine.

It does take some setup to get you level, but it sounds like the dealer will help do that. Then depending on tongue weight, just adjust the links on the spring bars. Make sure they weigh the tongue weight both empty and full of water so that you get the correct bars. I'm running the 1500 lbs. bars on mine, because empty of water, I'm at 950 lbs and with water I'm at 1150 lbs. So I just go from 8 to 10 links to account for the extra weight.

Good luck and Happy Camping
gadgetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

Am on my second tt withe the Blue Ox, love the system. Lo maintence and speed of disconnect and connect of the system. Another point not mention is do not have to disconnect system for backing up. I back into a ninety degree turn on drive way, back over 100 feet to park tt, Blue Ox does not interfere with process. I would recommend it as a owner for 6 and half years. My dealer installed mine on second tt, aboust a 20 minute process, a couple of quick measurements with a few bolt torqued and I was on the road.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #13

That's good news, Satdog. I appreciate the info. The Blue Ox is what the dealer recommends so I'll have it installed. I'm sure it'll be fine. Looking forward to it!

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #14

I tow my 4000 pound TT with a Blue OX and it tows just fine. I have had no problems with the Blue OX and the trailer tows rock solid.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, equalizer, hitch