Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

BlueOx Ascent VS RoadMaster Nighthawk towbar

I'm planning on getting my flat tow set up for my 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee next month. The local installer has recommended 2 different towbar systems. The BlueOx Ascent VS RoadMaster Nighthawk towbar.
I am curious to hear the Pros and Cons on these 2 towbars from owners.
One consideration is ease of hook up and disconnecting, since both my wife and I have severe back problems, so spending a lot of time bent over or squatting is tough. The BlueOx is about 10 pounds lighter which helps, and its about $200 cheaper.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
I'm planning on getting my flat tow set up for my 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee next month. The local installer has recommended 2 different towbar systems. The BlueOx Ascent VS RoadMaster Nighthawk towbar.

I am curious to hear the Pros and Cons on these 2 towbars from owners.

One consideration is ease of hook up and disconnecting, since both my wife and I have severe back problems, so spending a lot of time bent over or squatting is tough. The BlueOx is about 10 pounds lighter which helps, and its about $200 cheaper.

Thanks
I've got all Blue Ox equipment and chose the Ascent for its lighter weight. 2013 GMC Acadia Denali toad, according to the CAT scale it's 5,140 lbs.

Been towing a year now, probably 5,000 miles worth, and the tow bar is great. Easy to hook up and unhook even when not perfectly lined up when there could be binding but the release arms take out all the tension.

It tracks beautifully behind the motorhome and just as importantly makes those tight corners a breeze.

Can't comment on the nighthawk.
Attachment 265492Attachment 265493Attachment 265494
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:16 PM   #3

About you and your wife's back issues and your concern about tow bar weight....

Take your time installing it in the hitch receiver, spray the receiver with WD-40 or silicone to help you slide it in. I take mine out and store it inside during the winter, otherwise just leave it installed during the season - so that aspect of handling it is limited.

The tow bar stows easy on the motorhome, pivots on a joint so when you raise the arms for stowing you're not lifting the entire weight.

Lowering the towbar is a little more effort because you've got to resist the effects of gravity on the arms - you don't want to drop the arms on the pavement or on your feet. Yes, it's a lighter bar but it's still heavy, I think weighing in at 35lbs if I remember correctly. My guess is more than half the weight is in the arms.

Once the bar is gently lowered on the ground, it is fairly easy to pick the arms up one at a time and connect to your vehicle. Actually, the Blue Ox aluminum extensions that fit in the basplates aren't light either but at least they're small enough to handle with one hand so be prepared for that.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow