Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2022, 08:33 AM   #1

Breakaway switch mounting

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty finding a good location for the breakaway switch on my FIAT 500. If I have to, I will but I'm exploring options and one is to mount the switch to the RV and run the wires and the ripcord back to the dinghy. Any downsides to this other than one more set of wires to connect/disconnect when I tow? I've been towing without one but I know I should hook one up.

TIA,
Eric

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

Whoops, nevermind. I didn't think that one through.

If the RV and the dinghy become separated that means the electrical connection from the switch to the brake system also disconnects and the brakes won't be applied. The controller will just think there is no switch, like it does now, not that the switch has been closed.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 03-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Typically, a trailer just has a lanyard that pulls out from its receptacle on the trailer closing a manual switch and the onboard battery supplies the voltage necessary to apply the brakes for breakaway. I think something like that also is utilized by those that have a toad and breakaway. I don't think breakaway is required for your toad and really doesn't need it anyway.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Typically, a trailer just has a lanyard that pulls out from its receptacle on the trailer closing a manual switch and the onboard battery supplies the voltage necessary to apply the brakes for breakaway. I think something like that also is utilized by those that have a toad and breakaway. I don't think breakaway is required for your toad and really doesn't need it anyway.
If you’re towing a dingy, you probably should have a breakaway switch. The EvenBrake system I use has a provision for one.

But here’s where it gets interesting. I don’t have a switch connected to the controller for the brake system now and when it powers up and performs it’s diagnostic it must sense that and just ignore it. Maybe if one was connected when the unit powers up and it senses that, pulling the lanyard or removing the switch entirely might trigger the brakes. I’ll try to test it this weekend.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
Old 04-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #5

It was a dumb idea. If the electrical connection between the switch and the braking system is broken, as would be the case if the switch were mounted to the MH and the TOAD became disconnected, the EvenBrake just thinks there is no switch and therefore the brakes will not be applied.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Tags
breakaway, mount, switch