Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Broke down in SC. Need an Auto Transport Service

Hi friends,

In my 2017 Freelander 20CB and she has a misfire. Anyone recommend an auto transport service to get her back to Miami 33157 or Atleast Ft Myers FL 33917. Looks like a camshaft gear jumped a tooth on me. Regardless I won’t know till I open it up here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
motorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

What makes you think the camshaft jumped a tooth? You don't hear that kinda stuff happening as much anymore, especially on a new vehicle. Have you had a look around for loose wires or connectors in the engine bay? If you're getting a camshaft code, maybe a sensor quit on you? Hopefully something simple to get you back on the road without a tow. Good luck.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

I got the cam code and 12 others. Just no compression and you can hear it on the drivers side valve cover. Sad. This dumped on me so soon. I can’t leave it here in SC. I’m searing for an auto transport company to bring her back to Miami. Definitely internal.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Wow. Good luck finding a good transport company
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 07-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Thanks bud!
Old 07-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

I think you would be $$$$ ahead to have it towed to a Ford dealer that can work on it then drive back to pick it up. Transporting it to Miami would be a hefty charge. You can calls Ford's RV hotline to find a dealer 800 444-3311. You also have 5 years/60,000 miles emergency road service and lock out service from Ford by using the same number.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #7

I did that, they told me they can’t guarantee coverage since it was sold as a ‘chassis’ and FR altered it. Gotta laugh. Also they said at 39k miles they want all records for service etc and they would determine at that point. Possibly they will have to charge me. Amazing. Also I called two local dealers and got similar stories. Which we know is all BS. Some battles you pick. I might pick this one after I get it back in my territory.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorosi View Post
I did that, they told me they can’t guarantee coverage since it was sold as a ‘chassis’ and FR altered it. Gotta laugh. Also they said at 39k miles they want all records for service etc and they would determine at that point. Possibly they will have to charge me. Amazing. Also I called two local dealers and got similar stories. Which we know is all BS. Some battles you pick. I might pick this one after I get it back in my territory.
Sounds like the experience that I had with the extended warranty on my previous RV.

Barely two years old and under 4000 miles on it and they refused coverage on a $1000 bandaid repair to get me back home 1000 miles away...

Because I didn't have the supporting paperwork with me for everything that had ever been done to the RV since I bought it.

And when I got home and provided said paperwork, they finally offered to pay $150 of the bill, which was just over $4000 total...and they wouldn't pay that until I paid the $150 deductible!

Needless to say, I got rid of that RV one week after I had it fixed and didn't get an extended warranty on my current 5'ver!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
You still will be more likely better off to have a local dealer look at it and eve have it repaired where you are. I've shipped small vehicles shorter distances than what you are looking at and the charges were substantial.

There's no guarantee you'll be able to repair it for less in Miami and repairs will be on top of whatever you paid to transport it. Since you only mentioned "Chassis" I assume you are talking "Motorhome". A straight tow truck will charge a minimum of $2 per mile and a "transport company" will put it on a low-boy trailer with similar charges plus. Guessing 500-600 miles for transport which could mean an overnite stay for a tow truck driver and probably mileage to return. That kind of money buys a lot of repairs right where you are.

You've prepared for the worst so why not see if there is a "best" in here. Get a professional diagnosis from the local dealer before jumping into transport, etc. FWIW, many engines today are not happy with improper cam timing. Pistons hit valves and all kinds of bad things then happen. Even if your issue is in the cam drive-train repairs may run less than the cost of transport.

I've been there and found that local repairs are far cheaper than getting a tow/transport company involved. They don't work for free and if you do have any warranty rights the Dealer will work with you. Some random dude on he end of a "help line" often doesn't have a clue and is just reading a script from a computer screen (and sometimes with a heavy foreign accent as they are taking the call in Mumbai, India).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #10

Lol. Yes I did detect an accent. I’m thinking of playing with the dealer. They told me 1 week ‘to look at it’ I know we ‘buyers’ have more rights then they led you to believe. These 3.7L motors take a strain. It has 4 OHC. 2 on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side. The noise is on the drivers side. I read about it and that cam gear has a small key way that holds it in place, supposedly that fails. I’m looking now for similar problems with these 2017 ford transit T350 3.7L motors. That will be my argument. I can assure you, I’ll do the same as you, soon as she’s fixed. Sold a week later or even better, dump it on a dealer. When I got her new, after 5000 miles I found the rear end with zero fluid and no leak. Sign #1. At 6000 miles the muffler baffles went bad. Ford had zero mufflers. “National backorder” .... No more! Are we in America?!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Are we in America?!
Yes we are but are doing business in a "World Economy".

We're a victim of our own prosperity. Labor costs, regulation, and taxes, have run many manufacturers out of this country to take advantage of lower labor costs overseas (not always in 3rd world countries).

There is another factor called "Just in time" supply. Nobody keeps a warehouse of parts on hand anymore or orders huge supplies ahead of the production line's need. It's all driven by computer forecasts to make sure everything arrives from the supplier "just in time" for the need. Even repair parts are stocked on the basis of forecast need. The "planets are knocked out of alignment" when a given part tends to fail faster than predicted and that will clean out supplies leading to "National Backorder" status.

FWIW, I ran into that problem decades ago when we still had manufacturers primarily located here in the US.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

re

See how fast you'll hear from Ford if there's a safety recall
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

I feel like putting an old carbureted motor in it.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #14

Okay so $1345 shipped. Game time fellas. Ford denied the repair for lack of maintenance records which I don’t travel with. So. We all know how this will play out. FYI. Bring all records with you. Learning experience. Happy 4th everyone. Be safe enjoy and remember why it’s the 4th !!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
mads

We joined joined FMCA because they offer ttrip insurance. If.i can bieve what they say they would provide tranportation for you and the camper to get you home.
madsledet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Lol. Yes I did detect an accent. I’m thinking of playing with the dealer. They told me 1 week ‘to look at it’ I know we ‘buyers’ have more rights then they led you to believe. These 3.7L motors take a strain. It has 4 OHC. 2 on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side. The noise is on the drivers side. I read about it and that cam gear has a small key way that holds it in place, supposedly that fails. I’m looking now for similar problems with these 2017 ford transit T350 3.7L motors. That will be my argument. I can assure you, I’ll do the same as you, soon as she’s fixed. Sold a week later or even better, dump it on a dealer. When I got her new, after 5000 miles I found the rear end with zero fluid and no leak. Sign #1. At 6000 miles the muffler baffles went bad. Ford had zero mufflers. “National backorder” .... No more! Are we in America?!
The cam phasers? Very notorious for failing, at least on the 5.4s. They went on my mom's F150 a few years ago. First thing I thought of when you mentioned all your issues, but I've only heard of it on the 5.4s. That's BS that Ford is denying the repair at this point.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

Your 100% correct. It’s happening now on the 3.7’s. Same game. At 30k I’m better off changing them as a ‘maintenance’. Quality sks these days. The ford V10 6.8’s seem pretty strong.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsledet View Post
We joined joined FMCA because they offer ttrip insurance. If.i can bieve what they say they would provide tranportation for you and the camper to get you home.

I need to look into that. If that’s the case, it’s worth every penny!

Tags
service, sport