Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Broken Hitch

Good morning,
I would like to share a story, I purchased an 2008 Rockwood Trailer in 2013, it had been parked at a lake for the 5 years prior to us buying the unit so was pulled from Calgary to Dixon Damn which would be 1400 KM assuming it was brought home annually. In 2013 we pulled the unit from Airdrie AB to Gull Lake AB, 304 km return. we also pulled the unit from Airdrie AB to Drumheller, 216 km return, then stored the unit in Forestburg 260 km one way. In 2014 we brought the RV back to Airdrie from Forestburg, 260 km one way. We pulled the trailer from Airdrie AB to Red Deer AB 230 km return, Again from Airdrie to Gull Lake 304 km return. From airdrie to Botrel AB twice 144 km, then pulled the RV back to Forestburg to store, 260 km one way. In 2015 we pulled the RV from Froestburg to Peace River 668 km one way, we then headed home to Airdrie however, had a major breakdown enroute. The weld under the RV attaching the hitch to the RV broke away clean causing additional stress on the tires which then caused a Tire to blow causing damaged the wheel well. After contacting the insurance company it was identified as "Manufacturers Defect". I then contacted Forest River to discuss the matter. Now just to clarify, the RV still has original tires which measured by the appraiser to still have 75% tread (picture attached), the total mileage on the RV would be 4,046 KM. At which point the hitch breaks off the RV during transport. I am curious to know if it is acceptable to have the manufacturer tell me that it is not a concern of theirs after 7 years. I understand the warranty would have expired and we are not the original owners, however, the pictures clearly shows the weld has separated clean off the RV causing the tire to blow. Thankfully we have a larger truck and were able to keep from rolling the vehicle or even worse, causing a collision on the highway. It has been decided by Forest River that they would be in no way responsible for the defect of the RV nor would they even consider splitting the cost of the repairs, Total estimated damage is $3500. Which doesn't seem to be a lot of money, I did go to the company as a concerned consumer as my family members also tow forest river manufactured units, which I feel may also be a safety risk given the lack of quality workmanship that has been identified here. I am sharing this story so others will be aware that they too could be at risk and may want to rethink purchasing from this line. Our unit is a Rockwood which would fall under the higher end of the range of units manufactured by Forest River...Please please reconsider if you are looking at a Forest River Product!!!
Attached Images

jewelgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

The trailer frame is probably made by Lippert. There are numerous post about frame failures. You may be able to get some help from them .
Brcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

If you have the original tires on an 2008 they should be replaced immediately. Dry rot is not your friend. Trailer tires rarely have the tread wear out. They should always be replaced regardless at 5-7 years.

Whether the hitch breaking off would not necessarily be a
manufacturers defect, but if it is Forest River does not make their frames.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

I can understand their reluctance to consider this a warranty issue. They have absolutely no idea how the trailer has been loaded and maintained for the past seven years.

OBTW, I agree, those tires need to be tire swings for you grandkids.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

thanks for the tips on the tires, I do understand that. However, the hitch breaking away from the RV is not acceptable in any situation. If they were at all concerned about the maintenance of the unit I provided the exact location it has been sitting so they are welcome to inspect it or refer to an authorized dealer to inspect it. In addition, I emailed 45 detailed inside & out pictures that were taken by the insurance appraiser (not myself) that would surely identify any abuse of the unit, looks and smells like new. no pets, no smoking and no cooking inside nor under the awning. This is our pride and joy.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

It seems to me there are many things that may have contributed to this episode besides a manufacturer defect, like:

storage at a lake for all or most of the life of the trailer which usually has high humidity and might have caused excessive rusting on metal components and especially at the weld where the paint may have been compromised

no visual inspection of essential trailer components (at least yearly I crawl under my trailer and my TV to inspect the hitch) which might have given some advance evidence of an impending frame failure

possible overloading of the trailer when being transported causing undo stress on the frame

transportation over rough Canadian roads (been there, done that and not to be denied) stressing the trailer frame

POSSIBLE that the tire failed first (very old tires by your own admission) and that helped cause the extreme frame stress that finally broke the weld on the frame

I think that your case shows all of us that towing a trailer safely demands that as owners we be diligent in inspecting our trailers and hitches at least annually, or more often for frequent flyers, for any possible problems. After all only a few bolts and welds are between you and catastrophic event.

in your case, I would say take all of your evidence to a lawyer and see if they will pursue a legal action against FR and Lippert.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Have you contacted the frame manufacturer probably Lippert ? The other problem you have you are not the original owner. This would make it hard for you to prove what the trailers first 5 years were truly like.....but........ The seller told you it was at the lake.......

How do you know the original owner told you the truth about its prior use......... looked at many cars and trailers over the years that were tore to pieces that only a little old lady drove on Sundays Looked at a beautiful Mustang once but upon inspection it had green fence posts tack welded to support the rusted frame (unibody).

Personally our camper does not have a under belly cover as I ordered it without, my preference is to get under it & check out the frame members / supports.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

you have made an incorrect assumption,wheels are covered, seasonally (not 100% guaranteed to protect I realize) and regular maintenance and inspections are done on the unit. This is our fourth unit and are fully aware of the maintenance and care required. We have lived in Alberta all our lives, fully aware of road conditions and signs indicating rough roads, bumps & frost heaves. Lastly this was our first trip of the season, camped in my son's yard was not loaded with water etc, in fact was still winterized as we used it only for sleeping, FAR from being overloaded.

As stated before this plain and simply was a defect, you can see in the pictures, little or no rust at all!!! inexcusable to assume this is user neglect when an appraiser has deemed it manufacturers defect, this was an appraiser that has no interest what so ever in the unit or the claim.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #9

I have contacted Lippert and sent pictures, no reply as of yet.

My brother in law is an RV rep and he inspected it with us prior to purchasing, it was in amazing shape inside and out, everything worked no dents scratches holes. This is not a scam by anyone!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
DDC

You should be getting the the Ministry of Transport involved in this as these are produced to be used on our highways and are expected to meet all safety regulations, if they have any other reports of this happening it would make things easier for you no matter which route you take to get it fixed, how do you know there are not 5/10/40 of these incidences.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #11

I had a unit built by another manufacturer with a Lippert frame. My unit had the frame rail rip through where the tongue was welded to the frame. I went ahead and had a very reputable machine shop fix it in my driveway. I had them scab 18" straps, the width of the frame rails on both sides of the trailer. I didn't get Lippert involved because I didn't want my unit down for a long time trying to figure out who was responsible. I called on a Monday and I was back up and running the next day. My first trip back on the road was a 2700 mile trip.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
2012 Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #12

I do not think anyone is suggesting fraud or neglect on anyone's part. Here in the US an insurance appraiser is paid by the insurance company and their job is to pay out as little as possible or nothing...... so I put very little reliability in their findings. I had to go through arbitration once after an appraiser was going to give us almost nothing on a claim we won against the appraiser & the insurance company.

Your pictures are not very good so it is hard to tell anything from them..... but again we are not staying what you are saying is incorrect. But it is hard for a manufacturer to fix or pay a claim on an older trailer, let alone one that you were not the original owner. Believe it or not manufactures and insurance companies hear all kinds of stories .

Also it is possible that something could have happened (From manufacturers point of view) while the original owner had it and the issue not shown up until now.

Also your date stamp on the pictures is from over a year ago. Not a good idea to not have the correct date if it happened in 2015 when dealing in the legal arena they will claim it happened in 2014 and you waited a year........ since that is what you date stamp says.........

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #13

Highway safety hazards Hitch receivers that break

I can't believe all of you trying to say Forest River is not in some way a party to the welds breaking on the frame. They buy third party products and install them on their trailers. There responsibility is to the consumer. If they buy shoddy products Forest River is responsible.
Personally I had the four uni-strut frame cross beams all fall off after two years.
The ball receiver actually broke off on the road during the first year. I contacted them as well. They told me to contact the dealer, which in turn told me to contact Forest River.
I contacted a welder and he told me the welds on the frame were substandard. That is why the receiver welds broke. He put on a heavy duty adjustable receiver and put 6 cross members along the frame.
I had purchased the two year warranty and they took care of most of the work.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #14

Broken Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

POSSIBLE that the tire failed first (very old tires by your own admission) and that helped cause the extreme frame stress that finally broke the weld on the frame

X2.

I'd bet, the old tire blew, causing the frame to twist. Driver didn't notice, and put enough stress to crack.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Are we sure it is a Lippert frame. I have my doubts on this. What ever this tt is 8 years old and they said they had a RV person inspect? Should have caught any discrepancys when that was done. Apparently all that was looked at was overall appearance of out and inside of camper and not frame and under neath. All is out of warranty just like autos sorry. You are fighting a loosing battle. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

Why is it that your think you need to make excuses for Forest River's products. There is no way you can determine a tire blew out and caused the damage, that caused the tire to blow.
It is apparent from your statements that you don't drag a trailer very much. I had four flats in 2015 and none of them caused any damage. However while repairing them I did fine more broken welds on my 2006 Forest river Sierra. The welds on the perch for the leaf springs were cracked.
Answering your comment before you make it, I had all six tires replaced in January 2015 before I started my trip. Just like I did this January.
Now I am having the roof totally replaced.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It is possibly a BAL frame. Rockwood did use BAL frames around that time.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
It seems to me there are many things that may have contributed to this episode besides a manufacturer defect, like:

storage at a lake for all or most of the life of the trailer which usually has high humidity and might have caused excessive rusting on metal components and especially at the weld where the paint may have been compromised

no visual inspection of essential trailer components (at least yearly I crawl under my trailer and my TV to inspect the hitch) which might have given some advance evidence of an impending frame failure

possible overloading of the trailer when being transported causing undo stress on the frame

transportation over rough Canadian roads (been there, done that and not to be denied) stressing the trailer frame

I think that your case shows all of us that towing a trailer safely demands that as owners we be diligent in inspecting our trailers and hitches at least annually, or more often for frequent flyers, for any possible problems. After all only a few bolts and welds are between you and catastrophic event.

in your case, I would say take all of your evidence to a lawyer and see if they will pursue a legal action against FR and Lippert.
I have to Correct you on one statement.

The Canadian roads I travel on are not rough and in better shape than the Interstate System in Michigan, Indiana and Tennessee I traveled last summer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch