Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Bumper pull hitch question

Hello all,

I have a questions about my hitch receiver. I am just getting back into towing after having a seasonal site for a number of years. When I bought our camper back in 06 (33' Flagstaff) I had the dealer outfit me with the right hitch equipment but have not used it very often until now where we will be going different places and I want to make sure I have the best options. My questions is regarding the length of the receiver. I feel like I have an extra long receiver (no pun intended). I have not measured but I would say it is 8-10" from where it meets the receiver on the truck to where the drop is for the adjustable part of the ball mount. I have seen others that are much closer to the truck.My question is am I lossing anything by having this longer hitch? Should it be shorter. I use WD bars and sway control but that does not seem to matter. Any info would be great. Thanks!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

could you take some pics ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

My ball mount or stinger has two holes in it for the pin. If I use the hole that puts the ball farthest out from the receiver it is rated for 1000 lbs tongue weight, the other hole gives a load rating of 1400 lbs. The holes are only about 3"? apart. If there is any difference in handling it is not noticeable by me.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

OK, so I looked at the "shank", "insert", what ever the official name is... and it says 16". It is rated to 1200lb tounge weight and 12000lb trailer but I wonder would a shorter shank help the "porposing effect" on bummpy roads? Just seems like a lot of hitch but it's what I have always used. Thanks!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A WDH hitch sticks way out beyond the receiver. Here are some pictures of my setup: Forest River Forums - mtnguy's Album: Reese Hitches - Picture

My receiver has 2 holes, and my hitch shank has 2 holes. I currently use the most forward holes on each. I could probably shorten the distance by just by using the receiver front hole and the back hole on the shank, but my current setup allows me to open the tailgate without hitting the tongue jack unless I am at a sharp angle.

Once you get the WDH setup properly, I don't think the distance should make a difference.

But, noticing that it was posted that the hitch was rated for 1200/12000 lbs., that might be close to the limit of a 33' trailer. For hitch shanks that have 2 holes, the back hole must be used for the maximum rating....using the front hole will sometimes reduce the rating by a couple of hundred pounds. Do you know the tongue weight ?? And what is the spring bar rating ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

My ball mount... or... you-name-it thingie measures 11" from the truck hitch opening to the center of the ball.
You don't mention what rig you are towing with. It may be time for new, heavy duty shocks. Try running tire pressures higher on the TV.
I got a little "porpoising" with our rig. I plan on installing HD shocks this next spring.
I put bolts through 2 chain links on the spring bars to get a 1/2 link tighter adjustment. It made a big difference.
I run 42 psi in the truck tires all of the time. When I ran 32 psi I could feel the tires squishing around. The higher pressure makes the suspension work more and gives a much better ride and better handling.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote