Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by limblips View Post
The weight popo will be weighing in soon! As suggested, take the route you want. There is nothing wrong with doing 60 in the right lane, many semis do it on grades. I would suggest a transmission oil cooler if you don't have one and maybe a spring/bag upgrade. LT tires will make it handle a bit better too. Don't forget the fishing gear on a trip to Ontario!
We tow a 19 Ft TT with a gross of 3800 lbs. behind a Ford F150 5l V8 w/factory tow pkg. No engine limitations, but I did have such with previous trucks (Colorado w/5 cyl and Canyon w/4cyl).
I limit speed to 100 kmh (63 mph) because (1) most trailer tires are not built for higher speeds (2) Fuel economy (3) It's the limit on the highways we travel.
I've had no problem, even on our 401 in Southern Ontario, which some claim is the busiest highway in North America. I stay to the right, and I've not had any indication that I'm impeding the flow.
I haven't towed a trailer in the USA, but in general I find your drivers to have extremely good highway manners and have felt very comfortable on your highways. I don't think you'll have any problems.
I second the other recommendation about fishing gear- come see us at Shelter Valley Campground near Goderich, Ontario.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #42

Check your trailer tires, most ST tires are rated a maximum 65 MPH.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I tow almost exclusively on Interstate highways. I have towed probably 20K miles in the last several years. I always drive at 60MPh on the interstate. Your ST trailer tires are rated for 65MPH max.

I stay in the right lane and do occasionally pass other vehicles. You will see many RV's going in the opposite direction and of course some will blow by you with a total disregard for tire specs.

So, as I see it you can stop worrying about driving 60MPH on the interstate and as long as your TV engine is within specs enjoy yourself.
As a relatively new member here I have found it interesting so many advise allowing significant margins for weight and horsepower yet are comfortable routinely pressing the upper limits of their ST rated TT tires. I have also noticed a focus having "enough reserve power to maintain the speed limit while climbing one side of a mountain with little if any conversation about having enough reserve braking ability to safely descend the other side under the speed limit.
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Check your trailer tires, most ST tires are rated a maximum 60 MPH.
I'm pretty sure they used to be rated at 65. BUT, I think in the past year or so that was changed and most are now rated for 75???? We have some folks on the forums that are very knowledgeable in this area, so maybe they can chime in.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #45

Goes By The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
GCWR for my truck is 4309

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...146efa6b30.pdf

I'm well within towing specs.

What you gave is a canned response that doesn't take into account what I asked. I'm engine limited, not frame and brake. I can stop and handle the trailer just fine. My concern is speed on the highway. But thanks, I guess.
A way to feel better about your tow challenge is to adhere to the towing chart in your owners manual. Engine size is one of many attributes used to arrive at your trucks GCVWR and if you are within, good. Towing in challenging conditions usually requires 5 mph under posted at least. Best of luck on your trip.
mrlessonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #46

Remember one thing is that the tires are only rated at 60 mph. so safe towing is staying in that range. I have a FR Vibe 311RLS with a 1500 crew cab 5.3l and I try to stay in between 55 to 60 mph for tire safety issues. on Interstate and 4 lanes I stay in the right line and move on safely.
Sasnett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Usually, the first limit to be hit is GCWR. This is the MAXIMUM your TV can weight including fuel, passengers, cargo AND the tongue weight of your trailer.
GVWR, not GCWR.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Wt Rating, the max wt of your truck, including tongue wt.
GCWR = Gross Combined Wt Rating, the max wt of your truck + trailer.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #48

I'm pulling 11,000lbs with a 2500HD Duramax, and I only run 60 to 65 on the interstate, because that's where I feel comfortable. As it's been said, let them go around you. I do.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #49

Don't worry about speed. Go at your pace and enjoy the trip.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #50
Pockets

I'm travelling from Florida to California. I limit my towing to 60 mph. More of a tire issue then an engine issue, plus the fact that I would just be pissin out the gas. I'm getting 9-10 mph on my configuration. I'm in Texas now, speed is 75 mph. It doesn't bother me at all doing 60mph because I never have to pass anyone. Just set the cruise, and off I go down the highway. Just because there is a max speed, doesn't mean you have to do it.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #51

c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If your engine is working that hard, then your trans is working that hard as well. I would change to synthetic Trans fluid if not already using it and regularly check it.
I tow with a 3.7 ford standard cab long bed. Not sure about the GM products but my base engined ford is using the same transmission and transmission cooler, with the exception of the clutch pack, as the 3.5 ecoboost. Regardless of how hard my engine is working it can only put roughly half the load on the transmission as the ecoboost is capable of. I'd be surprised if GM has developed separate transmissions for each engine available in their half tons.
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
X2! I run 60-62 when I am towing and don't worry about those that fly by.
Heck I even pass a vehicle every once in awhile! Rare...but it does happen!
I agree with you on this one. 60 go 62 is a comfy speed when towing for me.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #53

I pull 60-65 with Cummins. People in a hurry can go around or enjoy the view of back of my camper.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #54

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I can tow the speed limit on secondary roads.

But on I75, speed limit be danged, everyone is doing 80mph.
This is way to fast for any trailer/truck configuration !
I never go over 100km/h (60 mph) when towing mine.
I have read somewhere that tires are rated to a maximum speed of 60 mph...not sure if true, I see lots of people pass by me way over 60 !
I am ok like this...life is no race...going camping is suppose to be fun and relaxing !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #55
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm pretty sure they used to be rated at 65. BUT, I think in the past year or so that was changed and most are now rated for 75???? We have some folks on the forums that are very knowledgeable in this area, so maybe they can chime in.
Our 2016 A-frame tires are 75 mph.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
Our 2016 A-frame tires are 75 mph.
I know the ST tires on my 2016 cargo trailer are rated at 75, too.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Then just stay to the right and don't worry about it.
We travel I81 in Virginia to our favorite campground. I go 65mph and that's it. Trucks typically go around me and obviously cars. It's the perfect speed that I don't have to keep trying to speed up and pass.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #58

Like others have said on here.. Simply enjoy your travels at a slightly slower pace.
I agree that 4.3 is a pretty bulletproof motor I have seen them take Major abuse.. Running higher rpms for a few hour trip isn't going to give it any ill will.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #59

We pulled our Windjammer 3001w with a 1500 GMC 5.3 from Texas to the west and up to Oregon, then back across through mountains and home. Youroo was correct in pointing out you are pulling a barn door now behind you and it has a lot of wind resistance. I ran about 65 on all major highways even if the speed limit was 75-85 and did not encounter one irate driver; generally those speed limits are out in the middle of nowhere and there is plenty of room to go around me. Up the mountains in WY, and CO we ran 50-55 MPH but we were still passing trucks; I could have gone faster if I wanted to buy the gas. I was in 3-4th gear and yes the engine RPMs were high but the computer will not let you harm your engine, so go...enjoy. You'll top the hill and relax going down the other side. DO watch your transmission temp!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #60

Great thread original poster! You have gotten the weight police guys, the tire guys, the secondary road advocates, and the towing speed people all posting!

You should have included a comment about your dog at the campground and you would have hit almost all major subjects!

Like others, we tow 60-65 mph all the time on interstates with no problems.

Best of luck and head north - great camping in MI!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing