Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Can I level the trailer while hitched?

Parked slightly downhill, I can level it with the tongue jack but will raise the trucks rest up and front end will be pushed down. I want to level it to turn on the fridge

Any concerns with the trucks rear lifted by the hitch
Pokyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How much?

It's a common practice to level to some degree while still hitched.
You can't be lifting the rear tires of the truck off the gound though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

I have done the lateral leveling while connected, then done the longitudinal leveling (also connected within reason). Then, I measure the tongue height. Once disconnected, I return the tongue height to the point previously measured. Minor adjustments can be made if necessary afterward.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #4

If you can not level longitudinally without disconnecting be sure to chalk your trailer wheels before disconnecting from TV.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

I've read, and put into practice, that you should disconnect the trailer from the truck. That may just be with a 5er, though. With ours, I chock the wheels, disconnect and move the truck, then press the auto level button. The nose drops down considerably and then comes back up as it is leveled. That would not be possible hooked to the truck.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokyjohn View Post
Parked slightly downhill, I can level it with the tongue jack but will raise the trucks rest up and front end will be pushed down. I want to level it to turn on the fridge

Any concerns with the trucks rear lifted by the hitch
Me, myself, I would not raise the tongue any higher then the predetermined unladen ball height. Simply put, that coupler is not designed to be a lifting device.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

When traveling to a far destination, I always leave the TV attached to the TT. Here is how it's accomplished: With the rig and TV attached, ensure the hitch is adjusted so that the Trailer is level as possible. The TV will be down somewhat but that's OK. When you drive into your site, get the Trailer as level as possible side to side. NOTE, this may take a couple of tries to fine the sweet spot on the site. Then check level front to back, if down in the front a slight amount, you can adjust the front jack to bring it up to exact level. If front is high on your site, move to another or try to find the sweet spot long ways. Piece of cake once you have done several attempts.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
When traveling to a far destination, I always leave the TV attached to the TT. Here is how it's accomplished: With the rig and TV attached, ensure the hitch is adjusted so that the Trailer is level as possible. The TV will be down somewhat but that's OK. When you drive into your site, get the Trailer as level as possible side to side. NOTE, this may take a couple of tries to fine the sweet spot on the site. Then check level front to back, if down in the front a slight amount, you can adjust the front jack to bring it up to exact level. If front is high on your site, move to another or try to find the sweet spot long ways. Piece of cake once you have done several attempts.

Just wondering why you )and others) leave your trailer attached to the TV when leveling? Seems a lot easier to me to disconnect and hit the auto level and let it do it's thing. I'm done in 5 minutes or less with no jockeying around the spot or campground. Figure you have a good reason for not disconnecting...newbie wants to know. Thanks!
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

Why not put some lumber under the trucks rear wheels first.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh62 View Post
Just wondering why you )and others) leave your trailer attached to the TV when leveling? Seems a lot easier to me to disconnect and hit the auto level and let it do it's thing. I'm done in 5 minutes or less with no jockeying around the spot or campground. Figure you have a good reason for not disconnecting...newbie wants to know. Thanks!
We do it all the line on long trips. Want to sneak out quietly early the next morning. Less noise saves any messing with torsion bars and baking the truck up and running it while the neighbours may be still asleep. We usually get a pull through when doing this and they are usually pretty good for level. Sometimes off side to side is off and we drive on some lumber. If off a bit I prefer the front up since that is where the head of the bed is.

We don't have auto level so levelling is done with driving on wood but most of the time just the front Jack.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

Keep a few extra boards in the TV so you can slip some under it's rear wheels if necessary. I like 2X12's as it's easier to find the center of them when backing up. A couple of 1" pieces of plywood cut the same dimensions as the 2X12's to make smaller adjustments. If I can't level with one or two "boards" I move to a different spot.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, trailer