Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #21

Gas tank size might be your limitation. Gas stations can be 100+ miles apart. If your tank is less than 30 gallons you will have to plan carefully.

Also depends on your rear axel ratio. Less than 3.83 and you’ll struggle uphill.

Also need a tow/haul mode or manual control ls shifter to safely descend some passes.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
if you are going over any large mountain passes or high winds, you will not enjoy it. We switched to a F-350 from a Tundra mainly due to brakes after pulling 7600 TT thru Northern Alabama and Georgia from TX. Check your payload sticker, as others said you have to be right at the limit. Consider that when the MFGs. set these limits it is w/ pulling a low flatbed.
If you drive mountain passes right brakes don’t matter. You should use tow/haul mode or downshift to control speed. You should only stab brakes to cause a downshift when needed.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #23

You're going to not enjoy certain areas. We tow 9500 lbs with a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 with 4.10 gears. We did a 3200 mile month long trip from Oregon to WA, ID, WY, UT, NV, CA and home. The worst was going over the Teton pass at 8400' in 1st gear at 4800 rpms or so. Never again and going down was not an issue. And yes all temps were in check.
Just too stressful listening to the Hemi screaming for mercy.
We drove over a lot of passes on that trip and by the time we hit CA I was done with steep grades.
Needless to say I misses my 12 Cummins on that trip.
As to mpg's and fuel stations, well out west they're not that plentiful so you'll need to top off when you get the chance. I would sometimes get fuel after only 50 miles cause the next one would've put me close to empty. Made for a few extra stops.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #24

My route thru the Bighorns is 8-10% grade. You are under powered. Been there, done that. Not fun.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #25

I live in Colorado and I'm pretty new at this but I have got to question what you are doing. I don't think you've got enough truck for the job. 'Just driving over the top on I-70 can be a daunting task for some, even without pulling a trailer. I'd think twice about it if I were you.
As to driving slow and being in the way of other drivers, It is not only frustrating but it is also potentially dangerous. most of the traffic on the Interstate moves 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit, even up in the mountains. If you are chugging along at 25 to 35 MPH, you ARE a HAZARD!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #26

Don't let the armchair experts try to turn you off from taking a trip out west. Take Interstate 90 west and pick and choose the easier routes. Yes it's a climb up into the Black Hills but you can stay in Rapid City and still see everything. Same with Yellowstone, everyone thinks you need to go over the Bighorn mountains. Pure BS. Take I-90 on up from Buffalo to Sheridan, little pull there. Take in Custer Battlefield NM. Then join up with I-94 in Billings and onward to Yellowstone.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #27

I live in Colorado and pull a 14K toy hauler fiver all over the west. One more item to consider... at the higher elevations, the thinner air reduces engine power considerably. So, what your rig can do at sea level...is reduced approximately 3% for every 1000 foot gain in altitude. So, a gain from sea level to 10,000 feet can rob 30% of your pulling power. Vail pass on I-70 is 10,666 feet. The Eisenhower tunnel is at 11,013 feet....and the grades are very long. As many have said...going down long mountain grades....be very mindful to go slow and use the transmission. Or, as Blackrock suggested...there are many other ways to see wonderful sites in the west without taking the high pass routes.

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
And remember, the OP is towing a 10,000lbs GVWR 5th wheel, with a 5.3 v-8 half ton.
The pin weight on that has to be around 2000 lbs or more, which means that truck is way overloaded. My 2016 with the 5.3 has a payload capacity of 1572 lbs and I'm right at payload capacity with my 6000 lb GVWR trailer that's at 5000 lbs when I hit the road. And that 5.3 screams mightily when going up steep hill. I know, I pulled that trailer from Arizona to Alaska via I-15 into Canada. And forget about the stated tow rating. A half ton will run out of payload capacity long before it runs out of tow capacity, especially with a fiver, as their pin weight tends to be 20-25% of the trailer weight.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #29

I have not done a 5th wheel on the mountains but I have done a TT just under 7k with an F150. That is about 2-3k less than what you have and a twin turbo engine so less power loss at altitude but likely the same performance at average altitudes.

Stay clear of bighorns... 8% grades for 20+ miles. You can go around them. I did it once with the TT, but never again. More about being scary when overloaded than power. You will be slow uphill. Pullouts are pretty much all gravel so know that in advance.

I would avoid traveling in the heat. The issues I had were western kansas (yeah I know) with a headwind at 95degree heat...just slow going 50mph because the truck would overheat if trying to take it faster. Once below 90 or no winds it was fine. Also monarch pass when it was hot 90 degrees at the base and 70ish at the top caused overheating.

Route planning is key as someone else said. You can use rvtripwizard and it will show you the grading along your route so you can pick the best route but things like forest fires can ruin the best laid plans.

My personal experience is you are asking too much of the truck from someone who has been there. I would start out slow and upgrade if/when you can if you see the need after an easier trip to start. If you don't upgrade then you can plan for some extra time if you need to travel at night or go around mountains etc.

Best of luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #30
Grammar Pedant

Everyone keeps talking about Colorado. You don't have to go to or through Colorado to camp out west. I-70 isn't a great idea. But, you can get on I-80 and it will skirt the Rockies without huge grades and take you all the way to San Francisco ... or you can break north at Ogden and hit OR/WA.

If you were actually looking at Colorado as the definition of west, then I'd not with your setup.

10,000 lb 5er should drop about 1,800 or more on the pin. Yours is a bunkhouse, so I would expect a family of 4. Fully clothed, that's a good 600 lbs of human. Add the 5er hitch and any other gear in the bed, in the truck, and on the truck, and you'll have around 2,700 lbs of weight on that truck ... and that's a fairly conservative number.

2,700 lbs of payload onto a 1/2 ton? I wouldn't do that if I were towing at sea level. So, no, I wouldn't recommend that for Colorado ... or Georgia ... or anywhere else.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
I'm wondering if we would have any sort of struggles pulling our rig out that way?
Back in 2016 we towed our Roo IKSS with our BMW X5 from Indiana to Colorado, Utah and Nevada and we did fine.
Things that we learned:
1 - You are going against the prevail winds so all the way west fuel consumption will be worst than average.
2 - Going Up the IKE in Colorado is beautiful but requires patience. it is better to go slow and cross it than try to keep speed and risk blowing something.
3 - Cross winds are stronger in the desert so be prepared to slowdown and make sure your anti sway system is working properly.
4 - We got 117F in Nevada so make sure your cooling system has no problems.
In summary:
Constant opposed winds, high cross winds, high altitude and high temperature will test your truck and rig but if they are with the maintenance ok and dialed in properly, your should have no problem.
The X5 was 100K miles when we did that and we had no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	222131  

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #32

All I have to say is, big brakes, and horsepower are the name of the game in the Colorado Mountains. OK, so is knowing how to use them. Not only is power an issue, but also altitude. Yes, most vehicles compensate, but not really effectively unless you're turbo charged, (which I think the rig you described is not). I've run everything over the passes, and it can be a miserable trip if you're under powered, and under braked. You can do it, but you need to plan ahead, and take your time. Plan your routes accordingly. Many times you can avoid the major pulls by driving a little farther. I80 through Wyoming is the easiest continental divide crossing there is, (unless the wind is blowing). Some of the most beautiful places on earth also have some of the hairiest passes. Pagosa Springs- Wolf Creek Pass, Gunnison- Monarch Pass, Granby- Berthoud Pass, Dillon/Silverthorn- Loveland Pass, Vail- Vail Pass, etc. Even the pull west up out of Denver can be a real event with Mt Vernon Canyon, and Floyd Hill. You're worn out and heated up and you still have to do Berthoud, or Loveland Pass. (Yes I know the Eisenhower Tunnel), but it's still a hard pull when you're under powered. Let's not forget the run down the other side. If you chose to do it, be sure to service your cooling system, your transmission, and your rear diff. before you make the attempt. Also be sure your engine is in top tuned condition with clean air filters, fresh oil, and new spark plugs and wires. Good luck, and enjoy Colorado. You'll love it, once you get there.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
Gold Tee Box

Lots of really good advice on this thread!

We've taken around 30 trips between MO and CA, both towing and not towing, on every imaginable route. Depending on seasons, we've taken norther routes, southern routes, and in between on 70.

We also used to have a half ton set up like yours.

First off, you start climbing up hill for a thousand miles or so going west and your mileage is going to be really bad. On downhill grades, make sure your brakes are in good condition and your trailer brake controller is set up properly.

As others have stated, pic your routes carefully. If you stay on routes for commercial truckers, you will have the better conditions. Interstates and US Highways are typically better that State or Local roadways.

I recall one trip when I really felt sorry for my truck going over one summit after another and another.... After we returned, the planning started to upgrade to a 3/4 ton diesel and limit max capacity. I now could go to GCW of 25,300, but CAT scale out at 13,200

Now the trips are easy.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #34

One thing to remember on Colorado passes is when they post signs that read "You're not down yet trucks use low gear" they really mean it. I saw this sign on I70 coming into Denver (more than once). I really would not enjoy Colorado in an under powered truck. Colorado is my favorite state and the most beautiful place I have lived.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
All I have to say is, big brakes, and horsepower are the name of the game in the Colorado Mountains. OK, so is knowing how to use them. Not only is power an issue, but also altitude. Yes, most vehicles compensate, but not really effectively unless you're turbo charged, (which I think the rig you described is not). I've run everything over the passes, and it can be a miserable trip if you're under powered, and under braked. You can do it, but you need to plan ahead, and take your time. Plan your routes accordingly. Many times you can avoid the major pulls by driving a little farther. I80 through Wyoming is the easiest continental divide crossing there is, (unless the wind is blowing). Some of the most beautiful places on earth also have some of the hairiest passes. Pagosa Springs- Wolf Creek Pass, Gunnison- Monarch Pass, Granby- Berthoud Pass, Dillon/Silverthorn- Loveland Pass, Vail- Vail Pass, etc. Even the pull west up out of Denver can be a real event with Mt Vernon Canyon, and Floyd Hill. You're worn out and heated up and you still have to do Berthoud, or Loveland Pass. (Yes I know the Eisenhower Tunnel), but it's still a hard pull when you're under powered. Let's not forget the run down the other side. If you chose to do it, be sure to service your cooling system, your transmission, and your rear diff. before you make the attempt. Also be sure your engine is in top tuned condition with clean air filters, fresh oil, and new spark plugs and wires. Good luck, and enjoy Colorado. You'll love it, once you get there.
Brakes are not an issue if you know how to drive in the mountains. You should hardly use them.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Brakes are not an issue if you know how to drive in the mountains. You should hardly use them.
Tell me more stories about how his little 5.3L engine in his half ton is going to effectively engine brake a 10,000 trailer down the mountains.

(Larry the cable guy voice) That there is funny, I don't care who you are!

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
Tell me more stories about how his little 5.3L engine in his half ton is going to effectively engine brake a 10,000 trailer down the mountains.

I was thinking the same thing.
I suppose if your dealing with pretty straight road and a reasonable load.
I dont have mountains as high as out west, but they do like to throw in a lot of those nice 15-25 mph curves on the sides of cliffs at the bottom of a nice run.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post

You start at a low enough speed and gear that will control your speed. I towed plenty of trailers over 10,000 ft passes in a 1/2 ton with a 360 engine.

With today’s multispeed transmissions its easier. You only stab the brakes to cause downshifts as needed. Most have a tow/haul mode.

I have seen many fools smoking their brakes. That’s why they provide the runouts on the bigger passes with a lot of super heavy truck traffic.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #39

Original ? ... I would say No .... best of luck
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
Not sure if you can safely tow anywhere...You are most likely overloaded...1/2 ton with a 5er?
Doesn't seem to be a fair statement. The OP states what his truck is rated for and what his rig weighs. He is well within that range and says he has used it for 3 years.

I have seen hundreds, probably thousands of 1/2 ton trucks pulling gooseneck horse trailers with full living quarters over the years (used to chuckwagon race in the ACWRA). The main issue he needs to be aware of is brake overheating on long downhill grades. I've been behind plenty of "smokers" in my lifetime that didn't have their trailer brakes set up correctly and smoked their truck brakes in the mountains.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote