Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgar05 View Post
How does Ford ever expect someone to tow anywhere near 9600 lbs with such low payload capacity?
Ford, GM, Ram, 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, the limiting factor always comes down to payload capacity. The payload capacity on your F150 is a little lower than most probably due to the number of options on it. Typically 1/2 ton truck are more in the 1400 lb range.

With our F250, it's rated to tow a max of 14500 lb for 5W towing, but only has about 1900 lb payload when the truck's loaded with passengers and hitch. With a normal pin weight of 20%, this would max out on a 10000 lb 5W.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgar05 View Post
How does Ford ever expect someone to tow anywhere near 9600 lbs with such low payload capacity?
If you have no load in the bed of the truck, no passengers, and just a 10% tongue weight, then you might be able to tow 9600 lbs without going over the GVWR or the GCWR. But that is just unrealistic for camping.

That is how the truck manufacturers sell trucks. They post this great tow rating, but don't give you any other pertinent information. I got caught up in the same propaganda when I bought my truck. Hey, if they say I can tow 9300 lbs, then surely that trailer that weighs 4200 lbs. should be a piece of cake. But that trailer that was listed at 4200 lbs. actually weighed 4600 lbs. coming from the dealer, and with camping gear I am in the 5500 lb. range. Still no problem, eh ?? Adding a 700 lb. tongue weight to my rear bumper, some camping gear and a generator in the bed, my bikes and a canoe on my racks, and letting the missus and dog go along with me, I am now with 100-200 lbs. of my GVWR.....although still a long way from my GVWR,, although I still have plenty to go until I reach my GCWR.

I didn't learn about all of this until joining the forum here. Thank goodness I did, and am now aware of the limits of a 1/2 ton truck. Looking back when I bought my truck and knowing what I do now, I would have opted for a 3/4 or 1 ton unit.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Steve Jackson

Sometimes I wish I had just bought a Class C and towed a small car. From what I keep reading hear unless you have a 3/4 to 1 ton truck you can't pull anything comfortably.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Sometimes I wish I had just bought a Class C and towed a small car. From what I keep reading hear unless you have a 3/4 to 1 ton truck you can't pull anything comfortably.
I'm not sure what you are trying to point out. If the OP asks 'can I safely pull this' how would you answer...if it fits on the ball, you're good to go?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Site Team

When I was searching for a TV it was harder than I thought it would be. Every time I thought I found the right TV it turned out not to be so. With all the various factors involves it can be a bit challenging to stay positive throughout the process for some of us newbies. Long story short I wanted to remain with Toyota so in the end I found it easier to ask what Toyota TV would be a good choice for me.

Quite frankly I could had gotten away with a different TV but I rather play it safer than pushing the limit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
From what I keep reading hear unless you have a 3/4 to 1 ton truck you can't pull anything comfortably.
I am comfortable pulling my Surveyor 263 with my F150. I am well below the tow rating and GCWR, but close on the GVWR....but I do not exceed that. I would be nice to have a little more GVWR.

My truck does a great job pulling a 28.5' trailer weighing in around 5500 lbs. The power is good, the gas mileage decent, and the truck and trailer handle great going down the interstate and 2 lane highways we like to travel. Overall, it is a pleasure to travel with the trailer following our truck.

Would a 3/4 or 1 ton truck work better with my trailer ?? Probably.

Will I ever get a bigger trailer while owning this truck ?? Probably not.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags