Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #41

Adaptive Cruise is a real nice feature. I unexpectedly use it more than I thought would.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #42

I thought Chevrolet discontinued the volt.

I always thought it was a good idea for a few folks.

For average folks who drive 15,000 miles a year not so much.

There is a reason the electric car became popular in the 1800’s then died out. Was the batteries then. And now.

If everyone switched to electric cars this year, we would all be walking! The batteries are not available. Nor the electricity. Most folks can not afford the Tesla or Jag. Over$60k. Depreciation is the enemy!

The lights would go out in California. They cannot build another fossil fuel plant. Every solar or wind farm increases the rates out there.

Maintenance costs on modern cars is very low. Not a lot more than oil changes for 60,000 miles. Mine is free for 50,000 miles on the Jag.

Brakes on a Tesla wear about like other cars. They charge a fortune to change them. Should be about the same price and last the same. Mostly GM parts I think. Regenerative braking helps some but the weight of the car is harder on brakes.

Tires and alignment would cost the same. More from Tesla cause they can.

In ten years I will buy an electric car. Right now I can’t afford one.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
What is the brand of your 2019 truck that has the adaptive cruise?
F350.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:52 PM   #44

Quote:
thanks, that is helpful. Do you know if the 2019 Chevy/GMC have the driver assist options especially adaptive cruise and blind spot?
2019 does not have adaptive cruise control, but 2020 and newer do have it on the higher trim levels. The 2019 and newer have blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert available on some trim levels
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #45

Wind and solar power???

A few answers to wind and solar power.
To see what they are, take five minutes and watch this video. Very informative.
I know this is getting away from the original topic. but very informative!!!

https://www.prageru.com/video/whats-...798c-179098773
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #46

Let's not forget the major difference between 1/2 tons and trucks over 8500 GVW. It's the difference between semi floater rear wheel bearings and full floaters with much higher capacity.
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I thought Chevrolet discontinued the volt.
GM discontinued the Volt because they pretty much lost money on every one of them. It was a very good vehicle for what it was...a plug in hybrid. My next smallc ar to replace the one we have when it dies will be a plug in hybrid like the Rav4 when they come in with a plug in hybrid with lithium batteries later this year.

Quote:
If everyone switched to electric cars this year, we would all be walking! The batteries are not available. Nor the electricity
We aren't talking this year. We are talking about 15 years from now. Just look at the progress that has been made in just the last 5 years. Technology increases exponentially in most cases. The "goal" is 2035. That's just not California but all of Europe that had already come out with the same goal.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #48

Keep in mind that even though wind and solar cannot supply all of our demand using fossil fuels power plants still allows better control over pollution than distributing it to individual cars.

Electric vehicles will take over the roads someday. For many who just commute back and forth to work that day is now. You don't need to buy a Tesla. The Leaf is a good commuter car and costs less.

Like all useful tech it will become ubiquitous. Look at cell phones. Remind anyone of communicators from Star Trek? Who remembers bag and car phones? Remember the giant brick phones that only lasted a few minutes? Now we have computers in all of our pockets that run for days on one charge.

Electric cars are really nice to drive. For me, they just don't fit my mission at this time. As I said earlier in this thread, once recharging is standardized and range is close to my truck it will he time for me.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
For me, they just don't fit my mission at this time. As I said earlier in this thread, once recharging is standardized and range is close to my truck it will he time for me.
Exactly. Once they have the range for me to drive from my house in SoCal to my Tahoe house in northern California, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #50
Herschel

Can newer "half tons" really tow more & better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Carl View Post
Let's not forget the major difference between 1/2 tons and trucks over 8500 GVW. It's the difference between semi floater rear wheel bearings and full floaters with much higher capacity.
Could you tell me more about semi-floater and full floater wheel bearings? I am "OD-ing" on YouTube videos showing "head to head" matchups between trucks of different year, make, and size. Strangely they don't often tow real travel trailers. Just weighted down horse trailers. I submit there is a difference in how a standard travel trailer tows and utility trailers with less windage. Anyway, they typically make a good case for newer 105/1500's towing 9,000lbs. 250/2500's a little better, but that still leaves me wondering. Since you can't really test drive a truck with your trailer attached, it is starting to sound like a bit of a leap of faith. But, if I want the adaptive cruise and blind spot in a used truck, I will probably need to be looking for a 2019 Ford 150. In case you hadn't noticed I drive a 2007 Ram now. I am retired/fixed income/no hotels on Boardwalk! So, big newish diesels are out of the question for me.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #51

Fixed or floating axle is not a huge deal. I had a 3/4T suburban that didn't have a floating axle. It was a bigger deal in the old days. Not as big of a deal now. Not even sure you can buy a 3/4T pickup with a floating axle anymore.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Fixed or floating axle is not a huge deal. I had a 3/4T suburban that didn't have a floating axle. It was a bigger deal in the old days. Not as big of a deal now. Not even sure you can buy a 3/4T pickup with a floating axle anymore.
The big deal with floating axles back in the day was all about it having a pair of bearings instead of one narrow bearing.

Like everything else, bearing technology has improved immensely.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Could you tell me more about semi-floater and full floater wheel bearings? I am "OD-ing" on YouTube videos showing "head to head" matchups between trucks of different year, make, and size. Strangely they don't often tow real travel trailers. Just weighted down horse trailers. I submit there is a difference in how a standard travel trailer tows and utility trailers with less windage. Anyway, they typically make a good case for newer 105/1500's towing 9,000lbs. 250/2500's a little better, but that still leaves me wondering. Since you can't really test drive a truck with your trailer attached, it is starting to sound like a bit of a leap of faith. But, if I want the adaptive cruise and blind spot in a used truck, I will probably need to be looking for a 2019 Ford 150. In case you hadn't noticed I drive a 2007 Ram now. I am retired/fixed income/no hotels on Boardwalk! So, big newish diesels are out of the question for me.
To keep it simple: a floating axle uses the housing (the part you can see looking under the truck) to bear all the weight. The shaft that provides the torque to make the wheel spin does only that...provides drive to the wheel. On a non-floater the shaft providing drive to the wheel is load bearing or semi load bearing.

The floating axle is more capable and costs considerably more to make.

Regardless, if you stay within the ratings with whatever you choose, you will be fine.

A 9000lb trailer is problematic for half tons...not because they can't pull it but because they run out of payload in the real world after adding up tongue weight, occupants, gear and a bag of chips.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #54

With a semi-floater you have one bearing for each rear wheel. Its a cylindrical roller bearing that has 14 rollers in it and no cage to separate the rollers. This bearing has no capability of controlling thrust loads that would try to push in or out on the axle, this is handled by a C-clip in the differential. This bearing also runs the rollers directly on the axle.

With a full floater axle that is used on almost every truck larger than 8500 GVW you have two tapered roller bearings for each wheel that have 20 to 24 rollers and inner and outer races that are mounted on the rear axle housing in the rear hub assembly. These two bearings carry the load and control the thrust loading on the axle when cornering.

If you could see that axle retaining C-clip from a semi-floater and hold it in your hand, you would wonder how could this possibly hold my axle in place in a long sweeping curve down a steep mountain road with a heavy trailer. They are very durable and seldom fail but they have their limits.

I spent over thirty years in an automotive machine shop rebuilding everything removable from cars, trucks, and offroad equipment (except automatic transmissions, never opened one up).
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #55

In order to increase payload Ford went to a very high tech motor. Many more little moving parts. The design is sort of un tested. Time will tell.

Owners love them. My early Ford turbo from 1979(mustang pace car)was a disaster. Blew up before the last payment. 32 months. Did everything ok otherwise. Not good. Ok

The current truck appears great.

They also increased payload by the aluminum bodies. More costly to repair. Some issues.

A hd diesel weighs thousands of pounds more. More mass to keep the truck balanced when goofy trailer sway and bouncing occurs. Always better planted. Less likely to skid, fishtail etc.

The V-8 gas or dIesel is more simple. Should be more durable.

I remember days at the boat launch ramp. The hd truck just pulls them out. Folks with the lightweight stuff had to use two vehicles to get enough traction. The old tow rope between them.

No substitute for mass!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #56

Quote:
In order to increase payload Ford went to a very high tech motor. ...

They also increased payload by the aluminum bodies. More costly to repair. Some issues.

!
The v8 has a higher payload rating than the Eco boost.

A body shop told me the Aluminum F150 was cheaper to repair. They don't mess with pounding out big dents, filling, sanding and primer...they replace the whole panel and just paint. Saves man hours and shop time. My insurance agent told me the same thing about my 2016 F150.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #57

I believe overall you will see a huge difference, I used my father-in-law’s 1998 3/4 extend cab to tow my first TT about 180 miles round trip. I had just bought my 2014 Tundra and had less than 500 miles so I didn’t want to risk damage during break in period. I had been towing with my 2011 3/4 CTD. The truck did ok but I could tell the difference. When my Tundra had the required miles again I noticed a difference. I believe the a Tundra pulled the trailer easier MPG was about the same as the Chevy loaded and unloaded. The ride unloaded was actually better in the Chevy but acceleration, braking, and handling and comfort were better in Tundra. Just my honest opinion
Old 10-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #58

On my 2019 F-150, adaptive cruise will completely stop the truck and restart if only a momentary stop. As others have noted, once on the road I set the cruise and then just have to keep the beast pointed in the right direction - much less tiring. Keeps me a comfortable distance from whatever is ahead of me.

I have the Platinum trim level and got the "Active Motion" seats. Hit a button and get a massage! Wonderful when you've been sitting in the seat for 3-4 hours!
BLIS (blind spot) doesn't work on my setup when towing for some reason.

I like the auto start/stop that is active when not towing. Engine restarts faster than I can move my foot from the brake to the gas.
If you get a Ford, do a search on Forscan. Allows you to modify some of the truck behaviors. There is a great support group for it on the Ford F150 Forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forsc...-truck-348987/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
The v8 has a higher payload rating than the Eco boost.
The 3.5 Eco weighs 449# and the 5.0 V8 weighs 445#...so I guess you are correct...4# more
Old 10-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
BLIS (blind spot) doesn't work on my setup when towing for some reason.
Sometimes, mine turns off when I hook up the trailer. You just have to go into the settings and enable it while towing. More useful towing than non towing.