Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Can you refer me to a trusted truck salesman?

My wife and I are recently retired. We sold our home in Phoenix and purchased a 2016 Forest River Cardinal 3825FL. It's big, 14,000lbs dry and $16,000lbs. max load.

We are spending the summer on Puget Island in Cathlamet, Washington. Then we will spend September and October in Nebraska at my sisters home. After that we will head west to spend the winter in Arizona. Our problem is we don't own a truck to pull the camper. I'm on three Ford Truck forums trying to get help finding a dealer to place an order for a 2022 F-350 Lariat, with the Tremor package and most of the other options. It builds out on the Ford web site at over $73,500. I'd like to get that down to $69,000, or less. I tried the Costco Auto Program, but the very last dealer participating in that program just dropped out. I'm looking for a dealership that will take my order and give me close to invoice pricing. As a back-up, I've joined EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) in order to get Ford X-Plan Pricing after 90 days as a member. That is close to invoice pricing.

If you have a salesman or a dealership you trust that isn't taking advantage of the low inventory and gauging customers, and has offered you invoice pricing on past truck orders, I'd appreciate you introducing me to them. I'm willing to look anywhere west of the Missouri River.
Wayfaring Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure you want the Tremor package? On the F150, it is not something you want for towing. Maybe it's a different package on the F350.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
My wife and I are recently retired. We sold our home in Phoenix and purchased a 2016 Forest River Cardinal 3825FL. It's big, 14,000lbs dry and $16,000lbs. max load.

We are spending the summer on Puget Island in Cathlamet, Washington. Then we will spend September and October in Nebraska at my sisters home. After that we will head west to spend the winter in Arizona. Our problem is we don't own a truck to pull the camper. I'm on three Ford Truck forums trying to get help finding a dealer to place an order for a 2022 F-350 Lariat, with the Tremor package and most of the other options. It builds out on the Ford web site at over $73,500. I'd like to get that down to $69,000, or less. I tried the Costco Auto Program, but the very last dealer participating in that program just dropped out. I'm looking for a dealership that will take my order and give me close to invoice pricing. As a back-up, I've joined EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) in order to get Ford X-Plan Pricing after 90 days as a member. That is close to invoice pricing.

If you have a salesman or a dealership you trust that isn't taking advantage of the low inventory and gauging customers, and has offered you invoice pricing on past truck orders, I'd appreciate you introducing me to them. I'm willing to look anywhere west of the Missouri River.
Another good option is the AAA car buying service. They've saved me a bunch of money on cars over the years.

2012 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Silver - 117K miles
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - White - 217K miles
2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L
Geotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you sure you want the Tremor package? On the F150, it is not something you want for towing. Maybe it's a different package on the F350.
At first I didn't think I wanted the Tremor Package. Then some owners told me they can tow heavy trailers with them. I've seen several YouTube videos to support those claims.

If I had to guess, I think I would be hooked up to the 5th wheel maybe 25 days a year and the truck would be a daily driver for 340 days a year. We mountain bike and explore Forest Service roads and dirt roads leading to trailheads, so the Tremor package seems to make sense. The springs are similar to the non-Tremor's, but they remove the rear sway bar and have a different set of shocks. But the Tremor F-350 with the 7.3 gas engine, is still going to be able to pull over $16,000 pounds.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Trusted!
Highwayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

Those two words don’t go together. Lol
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:49 AM   #7
Camping the Natural State

You do not want the Tremor package for towing a camper of that size. They take the rear anti-swaybar off ? You definitely want that on for towing ! Tremor payload is going to be lower than most F350's and if you get the diesel engine, it is going to take it down further. The Tremor is an offroad package and not ideal for towing. The 7.3 gas option is also not going to be ideal for towing over 16000 pounds.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

If you can wait until supply is back( most manufacturers are still building and storing the trucks locally) price will drop and dealership will be more willing to work with you.
To say dealers are taking advantage of the shortage is wrong. My dealer normally has around 15 duallies included in the 100 plus heavy duty trucks so they were incentivized to cut bett deals to move the vehicles. They average 75-80 HD trucks sold a month. When I was there last Tuesday to pick up my hitch they had 1 new Dually a white tradesman and less than 8 ( just a guess) HD trucks. Most dealership that sell in volume can cut price on MSRP and make money. When you don’t have the inventory to sell you have to keep prices higher to make up the difference. Most dealerships employ more than just salesman’s and have overhead just like any other business
Old 05-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
You do not want the Tremor package for towing a camper of that size. They take the rear anti-swaybar off ? You definitely want that on for towing ! Tremor payload is going to be lower than most F350's and if you get the diesel engine, it is going to take it down further. The Tremor is an offroad package and not ideal for towing. The 7.3 gas option is also not going to be ideal for towing over 16000 pounds.
Tremor Towing Capacities Explained

I'm looking at the bigger picture. I will not be towing the 5th wheel approximately 340 days per year. The truck will mostly be a daily driver. The Tremor package will be of some benefit for when we head off onto forest service roads when hiking or mountain biking. Not having the rear sway bar is of some concern when towing on windy days or coming down steep twisty roads. I might need to slow down. I will not be buying the diesel, but rather the 7.3 Godzilla motor. It may not have the towing capacity of the diesel, but you can view YouTube videos of the 7.3 towing loads the same weight as our fiver (about 15,000 pounds). The fiver has a tongue weight of around 2600 pounds. The Tremor has a payload of approx. 3700 pounds. I plan to purchase the Anderson Ultra-lite hitch, that weighs less than 50 pounds. The towing capacity for the Tremor 7.3 with 4.30 rear is identical to the non-Tremor F-350, at 15,000 pounds for conventional towing. For 5th wheel towing, the Tremor 7.3 with 4.30 rear has a towing capacity of 17,500lbs/16,900lbs, according to the Ford Super Duty Towing Selector Chart in the video above. A non-Tremor pulling a 5th wheel has capacities of 18,700lbs/18,600lbs. The Tremors are able to pull my 5th wheel and then some.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
(o˘◡˘o)

Tremor Package Payload Info

Checkout this thread for actual payload stickers and information.

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/tremor-payload.214/

Post #8 show a 3354lb payload
Old 05-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 26RR View Post
Checkout this thread for actual payload stickers and information.

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/tremor-payload.214/

Post #8 show a 3354lb payload
Payload Capacity amount is specific to each model and how it is equipped and spec'd.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #12

I am up for a great deal as much as the next guy

But at those numbers, I would be more concerned about finding a great service department. And yes, any Ford Dealer will work on your truck. Just not as good as the guy that you bought it from.

I bought my first new vehicle in 1968. Many vehicles later this has been proven to me time and time again. From doing warranty work after the warranty expired to upgrading my rental car for me. It does pay.

Your mileage may vary.
Good Luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
(o˘◡˘o)

Payload Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Payload Capacity amount is specific to each model and how it is equipped and spec'd.
Exactly - how many people would stop to think that something as innocuous as a sunroof would affect your payload sticker
Old 05-18-2021, 07:54 PM   #14
D W

Nationwide it's a seller's market, both new and used. Inventory is low. There are known cases of dealers offering buy back their customers 1-2 year old trucks for as much as $2K more than they paid for them.

Not an opportune time to buy. I'd wait it out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Nationwide it's a seller's market, both new and used. Inventory is low. There are known cases of dealers offering buy back their customers 1-2 year old trucks for as much as $2K more than they paid for them.

Not an opportune time to buy. I'd wait it out.
...but you didn't sell your home and move into a 14,000 pound 5th wheel with no truck to pull it. Luckily for us, we plan to stay put until the end of August, and then go stay at my sisters for a couple months. So I won't need the truck until November or maybe December. Now seems like a good time to place an order and get in line.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:38 PM   #16

You could try John Banner at El Cajon Ford. He is their fleet salesman, I have bought four vehicles from him in the last 5 years everyone of them right at Invoice. Prints out the invoice numbers to show you. He is also very good at finding rebate money, he found an extra 1,500 on my daughters car that I had never heard of before. Phone number 619 312 4107. Couldn't hurt to make a phone call. I actually special ordered my F250 6.2 so i could get the 4.30 through him.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #17
Camping the Natural State

The regular 4x4 F350 with 7.3 SRW is a good enough 4x4 for what you are needing a 4x4 to do.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #18

I was referred to a dealer in Apple Valley, Minnesota. A salesman there took my build order for a 2022 F-350 crew cab, short bed, Lariat, Tremor and offered invoice pricing that saved me over $4000 off MSRP. I am thankful for forums full of people who look out for each other.

Tags
truck