Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Can't Decide, need more information on Tonneau Covers

So, I've been doing my research like crazy and I've finalized on wanting a retractable cover for my new F250. I've already come to terms with the canister taking up space in the bed. Considering how heavy the Demco Autoslide hitch is, I've already lost my bed for larger items, so I don't think it'll be much of an impact. And having had a Bakflip G2 on my ram, I'm not interested in another one of those. Too many issues, like having to break the ice on it every morning at 6am in the freezing cold so my tailgate can open before going to work. And I've ruled out the Extang Solid Fold based on how it sits on my brother in law's F150. I don't like that it's almost 6" high when folded up.

So, sticking with the retractable options, my local guy that I'd rather buy from has helped me narrow it down to one of these 4 choices:
  • Retrax One
  • Retrax Pro
  • Roll n Lock M Series
  • Roll n Lock A Series

I can't seem to make up my mind though between the Retrax and Roll n Lock brands. I also can't make up my mind between an all aluminum cover (Pro/A Series) or the Lexan/Vinyl (One/M Series).

My truck sits outside year round and is my daily driver, so it needs to stand up to sun, snow, rain, hail, etc...

Does anybody have any feedback they can provide for any of these four covers?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Canadian Member

I don't have any experience with retractable covers. My tonneau is a manual roll-up TruXedo TruXport sold as an OEM Ford accessory. It works great in our Canadian winters. No problems with ice and snow. Its just doesn't have the spring-loaded retractable functionality, but it is significantly less expensive.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Always Learning

I've owned a Retrax Pro for 6 years now. I had it when we lived in Maryland and traveled to Pennsylvania regularly (i.e. we saw some snow and freezing temperatures, but not the deep freeze). I'm currently debating if I'll get another with the new truck or try something different.

If it snows and then freezes on the cover, you will NOT be able to retract it. The ice has to be broken up so it can slide off. I have a dent in mine from where I banged on the ice/cover with my fist to break up a block. It's not very noticeable, but I know it's there.

Fortunately, being black- sitting in the sun would thaw it by midday. Unfortunately, we needed it opened a time or two before that.

--

It is NOT waterproof nor really even water resistant. I had it replaced once under warranty due to the amount of water it let through. They had me get inside the truck bed with and take pictures showing where it was coming through. At the time, they said they had a bad batch of something. But, the new cover also leaves quite a bit of water through.

Here's their line on water resistance:
Quote:
We always say the cover is not waterproof but water sealed which means that you may get a drop or two but once again nothing like before.
---

My biggest issue is now that it's 6 years in, it no longer locks part way in place and will retract to fully open while driving if I try to stop it say 1/2 way open/closed. I've had to start taking a bungee to it to hold it where I want it. Annoying, but I had a good run at 6 years. This started maybe 2-3 months ago.

The warranty *was* a limited lifetime warranty. I probably should have contacted them about this but now I'm trading the truck in.

Looking at their site now, it appears the warranty is 1-3 years depending on the product purchased.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

I have had the retrax pro for 3 years now. I love it. My main need was security. I have had stuff stolen out of the bed and wanted to eliminate that as an issue. The retrax is easy to use. It is secure. It is not waterproof. But it is water resistant. Stuff sitting on the bed will get a little wet. I have not had problems with ice but I live in NC so not a big issue for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3292.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	175936
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #5

I love my roll n lock M. It is made of aluminum with a vinyl cover. Looks nice and keeps things somewhat secure. Like retract it’s not waterproof.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

Truxedo

It's not retractable but my Truxedo Low Pro has given years of troublesome service and still look and operates like the day I installed it on my 2006 Silverado 2500. I did need a repair part [my fault] and it was shipped promptly at no charge. A 100% stand up company.
poorturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

My solid fold, I know you do not want it, has worked great for me the last 3 years on my truck. Water proof, no need to open to lower the gate and keeps all my bed stuff secured. We live in PA and get lots of snow and rain...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so it looks like I've ended up pulling a complete 180 on myself on this one. While doing further research, I came across an amazing rebate offer on, yep, a Bakflip. I know I didn't want to do Bakflip again considering the issues I had before, but the offer of a free BakBox (a $300 option) and the fact that despite my issues with my old one, I knew it was water tight, plus the fact that it was nearly $700 cheaper than the Retrax Pro all convinced me to cave.

The rebate's only good till this Sunday, so I pulled the trigger already and have the MX4 on order.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah I do not know the brand but we use a similar to the Solid Fold at work and it secures some nice "equipment and gear" in my work truck... Retractable ones always made me nervous.. One thing in the track and you might be roast.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ok, so it looks like I've ended up pulling a complete 180 on myself on this one. While doing further research, I came across an amazing rebate offer on, yep, a Bakflip. I know I didn't want to do Bakflip again considering the issues I had before, but the offer of a free BakBox (a $300 option) and the fact that despite my issues with my old one, I knew it was water tight, plus the fact that it was nearly $700 cheaper than the Retrax Pro all convinced me to cave.

The rebate's only good till this Sunday, so I pulled the trigger already and have the MX4 on order.
What issues did you have?

And is the Bakflip light enough that my wife and/or daughter will be able to open/close it?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The issue was when I was working a project in Detroit, and crossing the border every morning. I found out the hard way, by getting pulled into secondary, that the BakFlip can freeze to the tailgate and prevent the tailgate from opening. A tailgate that won't open when the border patrol wants to check it is problematic.

So, I'd have to take a metal ice scrapper and carefully break the ice open every morning in the freezing cold. Not a huge issue, but really PITA.

And yes, the panels are fairly lightweight, but the springs on the release catches might be hard for your DD (as I recall she's just a few years older than my kids).
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
The issue was when I was working a project in Detroit, and crossing the border every morning. I found out the hard way, by getting pulled into secondary, that the BakFlip can freeze to the tailgate and prevent the tailgate from opening. A tailgate that won't open when the border patrol wants to check it is problematic.

So, I'd have to take a metal ice scrapper and carefully break the ice open every morning in the freezing cold. Not a huge issue, but really PITA.

And yes, the panels are fairly lightweight, but the springs on the release catches might be hard for your DD (as I recall she's just a few years older than my kids).
Ok, freezing temperatures are exactly something I don't want to endure!

My DD is 14 but not very tall. I worry about the height of the truck bed and them being able to do it.

Do you have any idea if it makes it hard to see the fifth wheel hitch to line up with the extra height of the BakFlip cover folded back? The new truck will have the high center mount camera, so it might not be an issue. But I'm used to looking over my shoulder and seeing everything.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

AfterWhich Ok,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Ok, freezing temperatures are exactly something I don't want to endure!

My DD is 14 but not very tall. I worry about the height of the truck bed and them being able to do it.

Do you have any idea if it makes it hard to see the fifth wheel hitch to line up with the extra height of the BakFlip cover folded back? The new truck will have the high center mount camera, so it might not be an issue. But I'm used to looking over my shoulder and seeing everything.
I'm not sure yet, but I hope not. So far I've used the CHMSL camera for hooking up the fiver, haven't done the over the shoulder thing, but then again, I've only hooked up 3 times so far (on way to shakedown camp, on way back from shakedown camp, and on way to drop at dealers for post shakedown warranty work). I'll let you know once the cover is installed and I next hook up. Might even through you a pic or two.

Regarding reach, can they reach into the bed? The release catches are under the cover, about 4" or 5" from the edge of the bed. They'll be a pull cable type release:

https://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_mx41
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

Deciding on Tonneau cover

I know you didn't like a BakFlip G2, but have you looked at the MX-4. It is made of aluminum also. I looked at the roll up style and decided against it.
I bought one for my Ram 2500 to protect the hitch. My Ram has an electric locking tailgate. I don't have the problem with ice and snow being in the south, but I can open the tailgate without moving the cover.
It also has a companion toolbox up front in the bed, where I store my leveler blocks and wheel chocks.
It works great and its made to fix each vehicle.

Jim
jim659102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #15
Canadian Member

In case anybody is interested, I got this Truxedo Truck Luggage Expedition this year to use at the rear of my box under my Truxedo Truxport roll up tonneau. I’ve found it very useful for groceries and packages when shopping, and it’s easy to remove when its time to load up the bed with stuff for camping trips. It can probably be used with most tonneau covers.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #16
Always Learning

Kaadk, I’m not sure they can reach in and under. I know they can reach the Retrax Pro’s handle that sticks up.

That said, I was talking to my wife’s cousin and uncle - both truck guys and both tow the uncle’s fifth wheel. They said that the cover will almost definitely block the view of the king pin and hitch. They suggested I make sure I have a high mount camera.

I talked to my wife and she didn’t like the idea of the fold up cover. Sounds like we are going to go with another Retrax. Possibly/probably the Pro.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

In your case, you should be able to fit your old Retrax on the new truck. It’ll give you some transition time while you make sure.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Installed:

Name:	IMG_3726.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	176433

Name:	IMG_3729.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	176434

Name:	IMG_3730.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	176435

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	176436

Last shot is what the CMHSL Camera sees. So, I see the hitch, kind of. Not as clear as I would have hoped.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Installed:

Attachment 176433
Attachment 176434
Attachment 176435
Attachment 176436

Last shot is what the CMHSL Camera sees. So, I see the hitch, kind of. Not as clear as I would have hoped.
Sounds like the rebate ended today, but did you have to enter a code or anything just in case I call them tomorrow?
Lecasmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover