Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #1

Can't Get Ball Low Enough On WDH Hitch

Husky Centerline WDH Hitch
2017 F-150 Crew Long Bed (Truck is stock. Not lifted in anyway)
2011 Flagstaff 30WIFKSS (Same As Rockwood Windjammer 3008)
When leveled, the coupler height is 17 1/2". The lowest I can get the ball is 20"
When hooked up the trailer sits level. I am about 1 3/4" low on my back end but exactly the same height as unloaded on the front. I took it for a ride and it seems pretty stable. I know the ball is supposed to be only 1" higher than the coupler. What part of the hitch performance am I losing if any at all?
Most of the YouTube videos have the coupler heights in the 20s. It seems mine sits lower or the Alro torsion axles are wearing out. There isn't many miles on this trailer. I looked above the tires and there is several inches to the floor. I also did not see any marks where the tires connected with the floor.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
Husky Centerline WDH Hitch
2017 F-150 Crew Long Bed (Truck is stock. Not lifted in anyway)
2011 Flagstaff 30WIFKSS (Same As Rockwood Windjammer 3008)
When leveled, the coupler height is 17 1/2". The lowest I can get the ball is 20"
When hooked up the trailer sits level. I am about 1 3/4" low on my back end but exactly the same height as unloaded on the front. I took it for a ride and it seems pretty stable. I know the ball is supposed to be only 1" higher than the coupler. What part of the hitch performance am I losing if any at all?
Most of the YouTube videos have the coupler heights in the 20s. It seems mine sits lower or the Alro torsion axles are wearing out. There isn't many miles on this trailer. I looked above the tires and there is several inches to the floor. I also did not see any marks where the tires connected with the floor.
I went with a whole different adjustable draw bar, that had more holes so the body of the Husky, could be lowered. The only drawback on the one I chose, was the angle brace(gusset) required a longer extension from the hitch receiver. I'm sure there is some physics regarding added leverage. It's working fine so far, and the extension, allows me to drop my tailgate when the trailer is connected.
Make sure whatever you purchase, has enough extra holes below where you are now, to get the drop you need.
You can also contact Husky. They've been very helpful to me, fine tuning the used Husky, I purchased from a member here on the forum after buying my trailer. They even sent me a packet of shims.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #3

What am I losing if I don't go with a lower hitch?
Old 08-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #4

With the front axel of the tow vehicle back to it’s unhitched height and the trailer level you should be OK. You are not getting some of the equalization available and the ideal solution would be to get a different drawbar insert that will allow you to get the ball lower when unhitched. I would not be afraid to drive it the way it is, just go easy until you are sure it will tow without problems.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

You probably have a "Underslung " A FRAME mount, if so you will need a 12" long shank to drop your head! Youroo!,
Old 08-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You probably have a "Underslung " A FRAME mount, if so you will need a 12" long shank to drop your head! Youroo!,
That is correct. The coupler is at the bottom of the a-frame. So that is why most are higher. They must be welded to the top of the a-frame.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
That is correct. The coupler is at the bottom of the a-frame. So that is why most are higher. They must be welded to the top of the a-frame.
I went through all this back in 2010 when they started to "Experiment " with bottom ball mounts! My Reese Dual Cam head had a Bastard 15/16 hole spacing instead of the more currant 1-1/4 spread,so I had to make a complete 12" drop shank with 15/16 bolt spacing! You should be able to buy what you need! Youroo! !
Old 08-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
What am I losing if I don't go with a lower hitch?
Without being able to shoot for a "as close to level as possible" with the truck and trailer, I think you'd be grasping at straws as far as determining if your setup is correct. With a tandem axle trailer, you'll be putting an uneven load on the rear axle with the nose high.
That's a large trailer. You'll want the weight distributed evenly.

The taller draw bar isn't going to break the bank. I haven't had any issues dragging. My trailer has the undermount hitch also(2015 26WFKSS Vlite).

Just a thought, incase you get a lot of sag at the hitch before hanging the WDH bars. I'm a big fan of the Loadmaster Active Suspension system. I'm running it on my 2010 F150 SC4x4. If I was to buy a new F150, for a trailer like mine or closer to yours, I'd already have a set ordered.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I went through all this back in 2010 when they started to "Experiment " with bottom ball mounts! My Reese Dual Cam head had a Bastard 15/16 hole spacing instead of the more currant 1-1/4 spread,so I had to make a complete 12" drop shank with 15/16 bolt spacing! You should be able to buy what you need! Youroo! !
The Husky part number is 30857 but it is out of stock everywhere I can see. Is there an equivalent in another manufacturer? I can't believe this simple part would be manufacturer specific.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #10

If the trailer rides level and the truck is within spec for the hitch setup, go for it.
When measuring the coupler height, you did measure the INSIDE TOP, didn’t you?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #11

Where are you located? I may have a longer shank, but shipping would be astronomical.

How long is your current shank?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	236860
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
The Husky part number is 30857 but it is out of stock everywhere I can see. Is there an equivalent in another manufacturer? I can't believe this simple part would be manufacturer specific.
It isn't. It all works off the 2" bar stock used industry wide. I purchased mine from a local company that makes trailers(boat, flatbed, and work). I went searching the WWW this morning, because I couldn't find "draw bar" in my cranial file. I found a variety of selections. Try Etrailer, or Northern Tools.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
If the trailer rides level and the truck is within spec for the hitch setup, go for it.
When measuring the coupler height, you did measure the INSIDE TOP, didn’t you?
Yes, that made sense because you were measuring the top of the ball on the mating part.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
It isn't. It all works off the 2" bar stock used industry wide. I purchased mine from a local company that makes trailers(boat, flatbed, and work). I went searching the WWW this morning, because I couldn't find "draw bar" in my cranial file. I found a variety of selections. Try Etrailer, or Northern Tools.
I tried looking just on the website but will need to call. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
Where are you located? I may have a longer shank, but shipping would be astronomical.

How long is your current shank?

Attachment 236860
It is the standard one. The one Husky referenced has a 10" drop.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
It is the standard one. The one Husky referenced has a 10" drop.

If yours is a 10” drop, I don’t think mine has anymore drop.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #17

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17123-Re...776799&sr=8-49
Old 08-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
I will have to check the 7" dimension for compatibility. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
I will have to check the 7" dimension for compatibility. Thanks for the link.
I think they have their dimensions discombobulated. If you study the pics in the link, they tell a different story.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #20

If the trailer is level why do anything? What exactly do you think the problem is?

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch