Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #21

After noticing several others commenting on the "trailer is level"(I missed that on the first go round apparently). After hooking up and the truck settles about 1 3/4" in the rear, as they have mentioned, you may be fine. That should put the top of the ball, pretty close to 17 1/2"...yes?
When you get the bars adjusted properly, I'd expect the front of the truck to come down a bit, and the back of the truck raise from where it is now as weight carrying is shifted onto the steering axle, and the the trailer axles, until the trailer and truck are both sitting reasonably level.

Or, when the bars are loaded, does the front of the trailer raise too much?

If all of that happens, but after loading the bars on the WDH, the front of the trailer comes up more than you want, than yes, you'd probably want the other taller draw bar to allow you to lower the coupling height, after everything is connected. As I mentioned before, ideally, you want the trailer weight to bear equally on each trailer axle so all four tires share the load.

I had a struggle with mine, but my resting height on my 4x4 with the RAS was higher to start with than yours is. When the WDH setup on mine was loaded, I couldn't get the nose of the trailer low enough, without the extra adjustment in the drawbar.

Hopefully some of this rambling makes sense.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #22

Also do some measurements before buying drop, bought one for my 2015 ram 2500 got it sitting perfect cut everything below hitch that wasn't required to bolt on, went for a trip and wdh bottom on the road in just about every dip, let alone the ditches I dug pulling thru our yard once back.
I think I got pic I'll dig up.
I ended up cutting under slung off and welding top mount on. MUCH better now.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #23

Can't Get Ball Low Enough On WDH Hitch

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	236946

Name:	WP_20160708_16_32_45_Pro_LI.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	236947

Name:	WP_20160709_18_11_47_Pro_LI.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	236948
Here they are.
Hopefully this is what your issues is also.
wvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvram View Post
Attachment 236946
Attachment 236947
Attachment 236948
Here they are.
Hopefully this is what your issues is also.
Yes, the top picture is how my coupler is welded.
KKonyha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #25

I talked with Husky and they said with the ball being higher than the coupler that it is putting more pressure on the trunnion head. I am going camping this week-end and will see how it pulls. Everything looks pretty good and I may be nose high by just a couple of inches. Using a level, it says very good though. We don't travel that far each time but I don't want to necessarily wear a component out. I don't know how much that might weigh on the rear axle. I know this trailer is a front kitchen and has a lot of tongue weight. Even the air conditioner is in the front. I see in later years, Forest River moved the a/c unit to the middle.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
I talked with Husky and they said with the ball being higher than the coupler that it is putting more pressure on the trunnion head. I am going camping this week-end and will see how it pulls. Everything looks pretty good and I may be nose high by just a couple of inches. Using a level, it says very good though. We don't travel that far each time but I don't want to necessarily wear a component out. I don't know how much that might weigh on the rear axle. I know this trailer is a front kitchen and has a lot of tongue weight. Even the air conditioner is in the front. I see in later years, Forest River moved the a/c unit to the middle.
We live kinda out of town. I was able to park the trailer in the middle of the street in a flat area with no crown, and adjust the height of the tongue while measuring various places around the trailer until I determined the trailer itself was setting level. A flat parking lot, would work about the same. I mounted a couple of those stick on levels so I could level the trailer side to side, and front to back quickly.

As I remember it, the difference between the Husky draw bar and the one I'm using, only needed one hole. I really tried to make the Husky bar work. I must of switched the head from one bar to the other, a half dozen times. I'm still about an 1" high on the nose of the trailer, but it's too low, if I move it down a hole.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Husky Centerline WDH Hitch
2017 F-150 Crew Long Bed (Truck is stock. Not lifted in anyway)
2011 Flagstaff 30WIFKSS (Same As Rockwood Windjammer 3008)
When leveled, the coupler height is 17 1/2". The lowest I can get the ball is 20"
When hooked up the trailer sits level. I am about 1 3/4" low on my back end but exactly the same height as unloaded on the front. I took it for a ride and it seems pretty stable. I know the ball is supposed to be only 1" higher than the coupler. What part of the hitch performance am I losing if any at all?
Most of the YouTube videos have the coupler heights in the 20s. It seems mine sits lower or the Alro torsion axles are wearing out. There isn't many miles on this trailer. I looked above the tires and there is several inches to the floor. I also did not see any marks where the tires connected with the floor.
If the trailer is level when towed (or even an inch high or low), what is the issue?
Using the WDH, shouldn't your front of your pickup drop the same amount as the rear when adjusted properly?
Mine isn't a 'centerline' hitch, but when the weight is distributed both the front and rear are the same distance lower (per installation instructions).
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #28

I guess the issue is that the hitch cannot work to its fullest potential unless it is set up correctly. I did tow this week-end and the minor adjustments I made really helped the towing experience. I am eventually going to get a further drop and see how much a difference it makes. I just know now that it tracks true and I don't feel any wagging going on behind me.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:18 PM   #29

I had the same issue...this solved it: Husky 30587 10.75” rise shank. Search Amazon.
Briand-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #30

Quote:
When hooked up the trailer sits level. I am about 1 3/4" low on my back end but exactly the same height as unloaded on the front.
I don’t see a problem. If the trailer is level and front is back to unhitched height, you’re set up perfectly.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch