Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #1

Carrying those Kayaks.

Anyone have any recommendations for which rack to use and for getting them onto the truck. They are both touring kayaks, a 14' and an 18'.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The TracRac system with the cantilever works for my 13 foot canoe. After the side rail install, the racks are easy to install and remove. Very sturdy. It was the only rack system that I could find that also had an optional tonneau cover. Beware, they are expensive !!

Check out: http://www.tracrac.com/tracrac/tracrac.asp

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 002.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	2203

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

Thule... all the way, I love Thule products, I carry 3 Kayaks on my suburban, loading is simple even with 3,

I have the Hydro glide on the back rail, and the Set to Go on the front rail.

When loading the kayaks, set the kayak on the ground in line with your truck, the nose of the kayak up past the side, lift the nose in the air leaving the back of the kayak on the ground, set the nose between the two rear pads, then go to the back of the kayak, lift up to your waist and start to slide the kayak onto your vehicle, as the weight transfers to the truck it is then easy to lift the kayak higher, continue sliding forward and eventually you will be holding down on the kayak as the weight transfer is completely over the truck, let it down smoothly, the step on your bumper and slide it forward until it "sets" in the front rack. Hook up your straps and you're done.

Important rule Don't use motorcycle tie downs, when you throw them over the kayak, the hook breaks windows.... learned the hard way and cracked the windshield.

I also built little trailer wheels for the kayaks, you can see in my avatar, makes it simple to tool around the campsite with them, PVC pipes, and some pneumatic wheels from Harbor Freight for like $7 per wheel.

With this setup, I can take the kayaks from the beach to the truck, and load by myself.

Thule and Yakima each have multiple accessories for kayaks, canoes, bikes, etc. I am partial to Thule and rather dislike Yakima, but any one who has Yakima will be partial to Yakima and dislike Thule. (ford-chevy-dodge, you get the picture)

The best website: Google rackwarehouse, they carry both and a few others. Don't just take the cheapest... hence cheapest.

They also carry several types of lift assist racks, I don't find much use for them.

Also, I have had in the past the racks that tip the kayak on it's side, did not like them, you are also prone to warping the kayaks with these types alot more.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures yet..
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

Mtnguy, your tracrac looks pretty good too, Thule accessories would attach to that setup as well, I like packing the kayaks upright, they travel better that way
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote