Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Cat Scale weigh in

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 4X4 3500 HD dually all stock, 2016 XLR Nitro 5th wheel toy hauler. Fully loaded with people, supplies, and toy it scaled: Steer axle: 5320 lbs, Drive axle: 6860 lbs, and Trailer axles (2): 12700 lbs, for a gross weight of 24880 lbs. I'm pretty sure I'm ok here with these weights. From what I see on the road there are many 1 ton dually pick ups pulling heavier trailers than mine. My question is how well should this truck pull through mountains? What should I expect? Many Chevy people say it should pull it like it's not even back there. Well it's definitely back there. Are stock truck brakes able to handle "hills" per say? Would changing to extreme tow brake pads and rotors be any better? I'm a tractor trailer semi driver by trade, driving local in a big city. So I am familiar with pulling a trailer. But semi's and RV's rigs are apples and oranges in caparison. All I'm looking for is insight and thoughts. Thank you for all your replies!
mikecatell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

your weights are very close to mine. do you have diesel or gas engine? we have a 3500 ram dually with the cummins diesel and 4:10 rear end. it was configured to tow. and yes, you can tell there is something behind it!

going up hills is really no problem. the cummins will handle it though it may guzzle some fuel. going down we have the exhaust brake activated and we downshift. the usual downshift is the 4 gear. between these two features and the judicious use of the brakes we keep it completely under control. there is a multi mile 7% grade on the road we tow on quite often and we travel it both ways. slow down and be safe!
Old 05-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

Cat Scale weigh in

It is a 6.6 Duramax Diesel.
mikecatell69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat