Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 02:00 AM   #1

CCC: what it REALLY means

Thought this was interesting reading, for nerds like me anyway.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rying-capacity

For those who want the Cliff notes:

NHTSA issued the final rule to address the problem of overloading, by helping consumers have a better idea of when the cargo carrying capacities of their motor homes and travel trailers are being met, and exceeded.

Recreational Vehicle Safety Foundation's 2003 Annual Report to Industry, which found that 47 percent of the 442 RV trailers it weighed [6] in 2003 were overloaded.

we are requiring that the stated load carrying capacity not overload the vehicle. The GVWR of the vehicle must not be exceeded when the vehicle is loaded with the stated load carrying capacity.

This will assure that when the consumer loads the vehicle to the stated load carrying capacity, the GVWR will not be exceeded.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #2

I have yet to meet an RVer that actually weighs everything they put in their Rigs so as to not exceed the CCC. Load it up take it to the scale (maybe) make adjustments. JMHO I to read that stuff lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #3

When we bought our new trailer back in November, we emptied the previous trailer and brought everything into the garage. Then traded an empty trailer. Since it was the off season, it actually worked out a LOT better that way, and saved so much time at the dealership.

So then we got curious. How much stuff do we have? We estimated 2,000 lbs of stuff. But we were purposely estimating high. At least that was our expectation before weighing everything. So we then weighed every single storage tote, box, etc before it went into the new trailer. We were quite surprised that our total was 1200lbs. Much lower than the 2k estimate. Plenty of room for more stuff, right? Lol, actually we took the opportunity to remove some of the stuff we dont really use, or have never used, and cut an additional 120lbs. It would be waaaaay too much work to weigh everything that way if we werent doing it during a trailer trade in, but it worked out good for us.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Living in Oregon we have truck scales on the hwy that're left on when closed. You can pull into any of them and weigh your truck and trailer. The digital readout is left on and since they're closed no truckers are lined up to use them.
It's easy to do a quick unhitch and weigh the tongue along with the trucks axles and trailer axles.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Living in Oregon we have truck scales on the hwy that're left on when closed. You can pull into any of them and weigh your truck and trailer. The digital readout is left on and since they're closed no truckers are lined up to use them.
It's easy to do a quick unhitch and weigh the tongue along with the trucks axles and trailer axles.
This is one of the many perks of visiting OR. Every time we are there with the trailer I swing through these to check for weight compliance. I wish WA would adopt this.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
This is one of the many perks of visiting OR. Every time we are there with the trailer I swing through these to check for weight compliance. I wish WA would adopt this.
There was a time, long, long ago, that I was able to weigh a couple of times at the Federal Way weigh station. Haven't seen that open in many years though.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I have yet to meet an RVer that actually weighs everything they put in their Rigs so as to not exceed the CCC. Load it up take it to the scale (maybe) make adjustments. JMHO I to read that stuff lol
My parents weighed everything, including their mattress when they bought their 2001 27’ RK Peak 5th Wheel. With full water, everything came to about 1000lbs and they used real dishes and pots and pans. I personally weighed my truck and trailer empty and then loaded it and then weighed again.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Dahagen

Idaho scales are usually left on, also.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #9

My scale on Hwy 16 looks like it is closed, but the scale is on and the window cover in the door is open.
Nala47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #10
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala47 View Post
My scale on Hwy 16 looks like it is closed, but the scale is on and the window cover in the door is open.
Mine is just north of Horseshoe Bend on 55. The state opens the station at random times, but when closed the digital scale readouts are on.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote