Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #1

Changed to Andersen Ultimate Hitch

I have been pulling a 5th wheel now going on 4+ years. I have used a Reese 16K Slider Hitch and traveled over 35K miles. I never had an issues and never had to use the slider. I have a 33IK Silverback and have owned a F250 and F350 shortbed TV.

I have been eying the Andersen for a year or so but never pulled the trigger for various reasons. I had to move the 5th wheel hitch out to deliver some furniture to my granddaughter. In order to do it I had to enlist the help of my son in law to wrestle it out of the bed. I decided, enough and ordered the Andersen.

It was a breeze to install (by myself). I installed the ball receiver towards the back of the pin which still picked me up 3 more inches of clearance versus my Reese. I was able to lower the ball to the lowest position and still get virtually 90 degree turn.

I thought it would be a challenge to align the ball but not hard at all after a few hitches. You learn where to reference the pin box to an object like the rear window trim. I just loop the break away cable over the ball before lowering the pin to the ball.

No chuckle. Pretty quiet really.

Now, here is one thing I noticed. I have pulled my 5th wheel over 35K miles so I know how it pulled on the Reese. It seems to me the 5th tends to rock easier sideway with wind forces with the Andersen? I just took a 600 mile round trip journey and for the first time I noticed the wind rocking the TV. I just returned from a trip thru the plains out west and it was gusty a few days but I never really noticed it.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Andersen? I’m thinking that the RV is just sitting on the top of a ball with freedom to roll back and forth where with the Reese the pin was in a clamp but the RV was laying on a large heavy plate that has a larger pivot point.

I like the Andersen so far just wondering if others have experienced the wind action.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

I used to think the same thing when I got my Anderson......concluded it was just a mental thing....
Old 09-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsue1 View Post
I used to think the same thing when I got my Anderson......concluded it was just a mental thing....
Not a mental thing for me..lol. I’ve pulled the 5th for many miles and in all those miles with the Reese hitch I’ve only had one time where the RV did a big sway and it was when pulling in an open plains area and all I can assume there was a rouge wind blast.

This sway with the Andersen happened several times. Nothing serious but something I have not experienced but once in 35K miles of towing with the Reese.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch