Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Changed Tow Vehicle

New TV is one inch higher than the old one. I was wondering how much I need to adjust my equalizer bars. I figure if I extend the chains by one link it should be pretty close. Any Advice???????
Old 03-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #2

It depends on what the new angle will be between the hitch receiver and trailer tongue. Increasing the height of the tow vehicle would actually change the angle in the direction that you would need to shorten the chains to maintain the same tension, not lengthen them.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

change tv

Thx Navy. I need to get my head around that. Perhaps I will have a tech help me. I seem to be above my pay scale.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:05 PM   #4

Think of it this way. When you hook up or unhook the chain for the equalizer bars, what do you do? I raise the back of the tow vehicle up with the tongue jack. That lessens the tension on the chains making them easier to hook up or unhook. You are doing the same thing - raising the back of the tow vehicle up which means that there will be less tension in the chains, so you might have to shorten by 1 link.

HOWEVER - it does not depend upon the height that you start at. It depends upon the height of everything when the tow vehicle is bearing the tongue weight of the trailer. Higher resting position means less links required. Lower resting position means more links required. You can also change the number of links required by changing the angle on the ball (actually the whole weight distribution head). Tip the ball back towards the trailer and more links are required. Tip the ball forward towards the tow vehicle, and less links are required.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #5

changed tv

Thx again Navy. You have drawn me a great picture to better understand the physics of the whole thing. Your suggestion re: actually lowering the ball height at the hitch is worthy. Now I dont know which would be better, ball or chain. Do you think one inch would make that much difference? I guess hook em up, stand back and see what the angle looks like.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #6

When hooked up with no weight distribution connected you should have a slight dip to the nose of the trailer. When you connect the equalizer bars, that should take that slight dip out, the trailer and the tow vehicle should be level. If you can't get the tow vehicle level when the trailer is level with the shortest chain (mine is 5 links is the shortest), then you want to consider tipping the ball back towards the trailer. The final determination, of course, should be weighing on a CAT scale.

You can get a good idea of weight, especially tongue weight and weight distribution adjustment with a Curt BetterWeigh device. I've got an older version and it is accurate enough.
https://www.curtmfg.com/betterweigh
Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #7

Do some measurements. Hook the TT up and do some more measurements.
I lucked out shifting from my 2008 Explorer to my 2019 F150. Minor differences and within tolerances. Then I flipped my TT axle for a 5” lift!
Part of your considerations is the distance between lift adjustment holes on your WDH drawbar. It may or may not be closer to level your TT.
I think the bulk of the change is merely height and that is rectified by moving the trunnion head up or down and not the bar angle or pressure.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle