Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #1

Changing Status

We're in the process of selling our MH and looking at going with a 20-25' TT. But I'm running into problems about a tow vehicle. I keep seeing things about making sure to have something which can handle the load rating but where do you find the rating on the specs for the vehicle? I see a lot of 3.3-3.5liter trucks out there but can they handle the load? I need help, I've seen some 5.7 liter trucks at the Chevy dealer and know that would do for the load but really wonder if I need something that big?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Trailer life publishes a towing guide once a year.

Great resource.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

There are guides by year on this site.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Choose your TT...then pick a truck that is right for the full load...not the dry weight!

Get more truck than you need rather than just enough truck.

And, if gas mileage is your most important concern...keep your motorhome!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Shoot for something at about 60% or less of your max towing capability.

If gas mileage is a concern nothing will beat a Diesel.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Look at the cargo or load capacity on the sticker on the drivers door jamb and it will show max load capacity. This is generally exceeded long before towing capacity is as towing capacity does not consider weight added to the tow vehicle suspension. Every vehicle is different based on engine and installed options.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Insert witty title here

Base the size of your truck on the trailer's GVWR. In other words the maximum weight your trailer is rated for. Figure 15% tongue weight for a TT and 20% pin weight for a 5th wheel. Personally, I like to see 1000lbs of leftover capacity after the trailer is connected to account for passengers, truck cargo and a safety margin.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

For F-150's this thread on the F150 forum has a long list of owner reported payloads covering many model years and most trim levels. It includes a spreadsheet you can download. Many have provided complete lists of the options on their truck. Should help you determine what can be expected. Good luck on the search.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
We're in the process of selling our MH and looking at going with a 20-25' TT. But I'm running into problems about a tow vehicle. I keep seeing things about making sure to have something which can handle the load rating but where do you find the rating on the specs for the vehicle? I see a lot of 3.3-3.5liter trucks out there but can they handle the load? I need help, I've seen some 5.7 liter trucks at the Chevy dealer and know that would do for the load but really wonder if I need something that big?
Payloads, Payload, Payload!
Nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload capacity way before getting near max towing capacity.
Many newbies simply look at towing capacity and never find out the payload capacity.
Can't tell you how many 1/2 ton trucks with towing capacities in the 8000-10000lbs range, with payload capacities barely over 1000lbs.

As was said, look for a yellow/white door sticker that has Tire and Loading information. There will be a line that says something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". That will be the payload capacity when it left the factory, as equipped.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote