Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #1

Cherokee Arctic Wolf and Short beds

I just sold my travel trailer to move up to a 5th wheel. I have a 2012 F350 with the short box, 6 3/4' bed. I have a Q20 hitch that it came with. Can anyone tell me if the 298BH or 3660SUITE will have turning issues clearing the cab with this setup?

From the looks of the Chaparal, they would work without a slider, they have an extreme curve and cutout to allow for it, well, at least until now, the mid 2020 cap design changed so they can put a W/D in the nose. But it is hard to tell from videos and pictures how much cutout and angle the Cherokees I am considering have, and would need to know if I have to get the R20 slider, or some other device like the Sidewinder to move the pivot point back.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Go with either one and use a Reese Sidewinder pinbox. Potential clearance issues gone!
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #3

We have an Arctic Wolf with a short bed, but we have a sliding hitch, and with that, it still gets pretty close. I dont think I have ever gotten to the full 90 degrees when turning, but it looks like I will be clear, but that said, it has made contact (a few times) with my rolled up (hard aluminum roll up) tonneau cover. Not sure if that helps, and I have no experience with any other fifth wheel/hitch for comparison. This is our first fifth wheel experience. Based on what I know about our Arctic Wolf, our short bed F250, and our hitch, I personally wouldnt want to use a hitch that didnt have some type of slide mechanism/capability.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I watched a few videos that I found, not many out there in detail, but it appears my best bet is ditch the Q20 and get a Demco or similar slider. The 420 will convert the Q20 to a slider, but that is only good if I am backing, and is locked when traveling, meaning if I am not careful and have to make a sharp turn, I can lose the back window. The sidewinder is a good option, but the trailers I am looking at have upgraded Morryde pin boxes. I may be able to negotiate a swap of pinboxes, but either one is about a $1400-$1500 option. Now to find the model that works with the bed plates since mine didn't come with the OEM puck system, but has bed rails instead.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #5

Hitch

Have you considered one of the Anderson hitches? If my trailer had the Morreride, I would want to keep it. It might be the least expensive, simple solution. There are a lot of people that really like them. They are much lighter to remove than a slider. A friend tows his 14K w/ the Anderson steel version and has been very pleased w/ it after several years.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #6

I put a down payment on the 3660Suite today. There is no way the Arctic wolf can be towed without a slider or sidewinder with my truck. The pin is only about 8" from the corner, not leaving a lot of room. I have a Back Flip on mine when would get in the way regardless of hitch used, so will have to remove it, but considering it weighs almost as much as the 5th wheel itself, no sense having something eating up payload when not needed. I'm leaning towards the Demco slider, which gives 14" of clearance, only because it can be used on any 5th wheel in case someone needs help towing theirs.

Still deciding, so not yet locked into one or the other.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

Hitch

I have never heard anything but positive on the Demco Autoslider, except weight. I have seen it in action, smooth and secure. I researched it when deciding on a new truck, long or short bed. Went w/ long bed, F350.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #8

The one thing I didn't even think of when I bought the truck was the bed size, 6 3/4' bed should be long enough, but after looking at trailers and such, only the half ton towables are designed for the short beds, and now too late to go back for a long bed.

When I was at the dealer yesterday, there was a Dremco on display and I got to play with it, worked smoothly and looked to be quality made. At this point price will be the deciding factor, in either case, getting a 5th wheel lifting pin is a must. I can hook up the boom on my tractor to lift it in and out with one. I also have a pulley system in my garage to lift my topper off that will work for lifting it out too.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #9

This has given me a headache. I was going over how to measure for clearances and scrolling down the page for the RP61410 Sidewinder, what do I come across but
Quote:
Note: Do not use the Sidewinder with any of the following:

Curt Q Series 5th-wheel trailer hitches
SMH

I have a question in to Etrailer on this because there is a wedge specifically for the Q20 hitch. Guess the answer will determine which one I use, the Demco or the Sidewinder.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I just sold my travel trailer to move up to a 5th wheel. I have a 2012 F350 with the short box, 6 3/4' bed. I have a Q20 hitch that it came with. Can anyone tell me if the 298BH or 3660SUITE will have turning issues clearing the cab with this setup?

From the looks of the Chaparal, they would work without a slider, they have an extreme curve and cutout to allow for it, well, at least until now, the mid 2020 cap design changed so they can put a W/D in the nose. But it is hard to tell from videos and pictures how much cutout and angle the Cherokees I am considering have, and would need to know if I have to get the R20 slider, or some other device like the Sidewinder to move the pivot point back.

I have the 315BH with a short bed Ram 2500.
I went through the same questions and some people said you need a slider and chassis manufacturer said no. Artic wolf said no, just
Unbolt the swivel lock bolts on 5th wheel and purchase lock block from fifth wheel manufacturer and eliminates all your clearance and turn problems and is designed and warranty for that purpose even though you’ll hear from the no it alls that it will weaken this and that. Like the say it’s there because it’s
Approved no reason to get in and out to slide a fifth wheel. Very happy with factory system
Thanks
Mustang19380 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, cherokee