Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #21

I had same truck before mine. It was the best truck I ever owned, since 1964. Surely someone can fix yours. Sounds like a computer glitch.......which is why I bought extended warranty, and no other reason.

Take it to an independent shop.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #22

Wait a minute.
As a retired master tech, I feel something is lost in the diagnostic process. It sounds like they're "pulling codes and throwing parts at it" and not fixing the problem. Don't bother with a parts srore, they can only pull codes and sell you a bunch of parts you don't need. Seen that too much. If I were working on this, I'd want to know if that outside source (your TT) is the root cause, since your problem only happens with the two hooked up. I'd be looking for another trailer with the same basic electrical setup as yours and trying THAT one out. If the problem doesn't surface, then we start focusing on your TT to see what's going on. If it happens with a different unit hooked up, then we go back to your truck and look deeper.
Of course, I'd be grilling you for every minute detail of what's going on when all this happens. I'm betting they're not. Many times I've found a trigger/event that helps pin down what's going on, sometimes so innocuous it never occurs to the driver to mention it.
Just my .02
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
(Dry Huunday)

Du
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Wait a minute.
As a retired master tech, I feel something is lost in the diagnostic process. It sounds like they're "pulling codes and throwing parts at it" and not fixing the problem. Don't bother with a parts srore, they can only pull codes and sell you a bunch of parts you don't need. Seen that too much. If I were working on this, I'd want to know if that outside source (your TT) is the root cause, since your problem only happens with the two hooked up. I'd be looking for another trailer with the same basic electrical setup as yours and trying THAT one out. If the problem doesn't surface, then we start focusing on your TT to see what's going on. If it happens with a different unit hooked up, then we go back to your truck and look deeper.
Of course, I'd be grilling you for every minute detail of what's going on when all this happens. I'm betting they're not. Many times I've found a trigger/event that helps pin down what's going on, sometimes so innocuous it never occurs to the driver to mention it.
Just my .02
Ahhh, a real troubleshooter and not just a parts changer!

An art that is being lost in this modern age of modules and computer programs. I've seen in it happening in Marine Aviation and now in the auto industry!
Probably why most modern techs dont like me, lol!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Du

Probably why most modern techs dont like me, lol!
Me too. Lol.

Also everyone, keep in mind warranty pay doesn't pay like 'customer pay' so they are not as inclined to dig. And, they only give them x time to do it, sometimes as little as .5 hours for stuff like yours, unless they can get authorization from higher up. That's like mating elephants. Lots of noise in high places, and then it takes two years to get results.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #25
Georgia Rally Coordinator

[QUOTE=win;1285989
I have the same truck , no trouble with mine[/QUOTE]
I also have the same truck no issues and one that was the first 2015 built in march of 2014. Sounds more like computer glitch or tt wiring problem. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #26

I would be looking for some sort of phantom ground happening. A short somewhere between the trailer 7 prong and your braking/lighting/charging pieces can surely cause the computer in the TV to trigger codes.
Something as simple as a hot side brake wire touching the frame may set things in motion.
Check that trailer wiring before you blame it on the TV.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Du

Ahhh, a real troubleshooter and not just a parts changer!

An art that is being lost in this modern age of modules and computer programs. :
Pardon me, I forgot my manners for a few minutes.

Thank you for the compliment.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #28
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Pardon me, I forgot my manners for a few minutes.

Thank you for the compliment.
Lol! Thank you
And you a very correct about "Warranty work"!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #29

Not crazy about trying to troubleshoot myself when the truck is under warranty. I've left it at the dealer for over a week so they could work out the issue using Chevy tech support. I've brought it in with the trailer twice. If it was just brakes or trailer lights I'd be more suspicious of the trailer, but I think it's the weight of the trailer that's exposing the electrical glitch. It sounds like a loose connection or ground to me. I got the impression that the techs were doing their best, but dealing with Chevy Customer Support after six repair attempts has been a nightmare.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

My 2010 1500 had this similar issue and would go into limp mode. It was moisture in the connectors of the ABS or speed sensors.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #31
Koz

Arggh. New poster here. I just posted this to the wrong thread a couple minutes ago. This is the correct location for my input. Sorry for the repeat.

I just had this happen to us the other day. I have a 2015 2500HD. Tuesday as we were leaving the campground hauling our trailer, the truck told me of a brake controller issue. I pulled over and found that the extra slack in the emergency brake engagement cord had looped over the hitch slide position lever and yanked out the brake cable on a right hand turn. I put the brake pin back in which released the the trailer brake. The truck however was not a "happy camper". It continued to tell me that there was a brake controller problem. Even with repeated shut downs of the truck and checking of all connections, the truck would not recognize a good controller condition. Then as I.... "meditated with expletives".... I turned on the truck to keep the air conditioner going for the wife and dogs, and low and behold it now was working fine. One last engine power cycle and connection check convinced me it was safe to proceed. I agree with the one poster above that indicated that the Truck's engine controller does not like to see a voltage feeding back from the trailer when that disconnect pin is pulled. They must have a current detection scheme whereby it protects itself but opening up the circuit for some duration after that fault condition. If you are having a chronic issue with that trailer I would definitely check that disconnect is not shorted in some manner.
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #32

I might have missed it but has anyone else towed your trailer or have you tried towing a different trailer? This could rule out for sure if it was indeed the truck or the trailer.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #33

A late model 2500 HD can have 8 to 10 control modules that are interconnected. The brake controller is separate from the engine control module. And yes, some failures will be cleared from memory after a certain number of key cycles after the fault is gone.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgekev View Post
Not crazy about trying to troubleshoot myself when the truck is under warranty.

You have several posters giving you info pointing to the fact that is "could" be your RV causing the issue. Why not at least investigate it before slamming the truck mfg?

I get it... It's new. However it could very well be a problem with your RV and some simple problem solving could determine that. If more folks were willing to investigate things themselves a little further than reading the lights then I have a feeling dealership experiences would be a little better. This certainly applies to the RV industry (more than most) when folks return to the dealership to replace a stripped screw and wonder why service takes 2 months.

Good luck with your problem, and please keep us posted.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #35

I did bring the trailer in get checked out and had the hitch looked over to make sure it was set up properly. I also took it to be weighed to make sure it wasn't overloaded and that the tongue weight was good. Tried to cover all the bases.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #36
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgekev View Post
I did bring the trailer in get checked out and had the hitch looked over to make sure it was set up properly. I also took it to be weighed to make sure it wasn't overloaded and that the tongue weight was good. Tried to cover all the bases.
And the results of tt hooked up ? Did you have an issues then ? Finnish the rest of the story. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #37

When towing I get the intermittent failure mentioned in the original post.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Site Team note- several posts have been edited or deleted to remove legal proceeding references. This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with sellers, manufacturers and dealers through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. Talk about legal action is not permitted on these forums. Thank you everyone for understanding and for offering your advice to the OP.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #39

Sorry, I am confused on your answer. Did the shop hook it up and test it? And your last post, was that with a different truck?

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I would not go by a car dealership checking your trailer wiring. I would do as suggested above. Test the trailer with a different truck and test the truck with a different trailer. It is entirely possible there is some sort of issue with the trailer causing this. It is also possible the problem could be in your trailer plug. It is quick and easy to check those connections on your own. Before your headache gets bigger and frustration gets worse, look to see if your problem is not the truck. Believe me it is worth that little bit of effort to investigate it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags