Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #21

As I recall, there was no parallel parking. There was a vehicle inspection, I had to pull forward into a coned lane, and stop at a designated point, back up in a straight line, then take a road test. During the road test, don't speed, don't pull too close to the car ahead of you at stop signs or red lights, and maintain proper lane position, and don,t jump curbs or medians during turns. And if you go under a marked underpass, be prepared to know the height of your camper and the posted clearance to the bridge.
Lt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #22

Yep, Texass, Did the Class B myself. A heads-up though. In the written test there were a few questions that had NOTHING to do with driving that I found amusing. (I paraphrase from memory)
1. In what year were 2 tail lights required on vehicles?
2. In what year were 2 headlights required?
3. How many white lights are required on a farm tractor operated at night?
4. There were one or 2 others but my memory fails me at the moment

AND Make certain you have both license plates attached to the vehicle. I had not gotten a front plate mount at the time and had the front plate prominently displayed in the windshield. Nope, had to duct tape it to the front bumper to take the road test.
DTordoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #23

Texas Class A license parallel parking

I took the Class A test in Fredericksburg a year ago. The lady was very thorough but fair. I did have to parallel park and back in a straight line. She did give me the parameters that would be a bust and fortunately I did not exceed them.

There are several websites that will walk you through a sample written test and give good info on the driving portion. Spend some time studying and parallel parking and there will be no problem.
Good luck.
Gary Dup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
It will be a lot easier producing the license than explaining to the officer or your insurance company how they have misinterpreted the law. I had a state trooper tell me that it was within their power, yet not often practiced, to forbid you to proceed after producing a license without the endorsement, and to call a wrecker to remove the vehicle. There is also the question of your insurance company paying the claim if you are not properly licensed. As mentioned above, a little more education never hurt anyone.
That's what happens up here in that case (PA). Guess TX must be friendlier!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #25

Ok, went to the DPS office in McKinney today to turnin my application and take the written test. NOPE... there was at least 100 people lined up outside the building. So I drove down to the office in Plano. NOPE... at least 150 lined up there. Will be trying again first thing tomorrow, hopefully I can get in.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks. I think I'm going to schedule my driving test at the Canton office. That's only 1 1/2hrs or so from my house.
I did mine at the Carrollton location in May 2018, here’s a good thread on the Heartland Owners Forum, my story starts at #61, study chapter 5, 6 and 14.

I arrived around 6:30am and was able to stage right before the closed gates at the entrance off of Carrollton Parkway and Maumee Dr., several tractor trailers arrived soon after so shoot for the first available drive time.

The driving route is not bad from this location, you will go right out of the DPS office to 544, take a left on 544 to Business 121, left on Business 121 to Railroad Street, left on Railroad until you get to Hebron, left on Hebron until you cross under the 121 toll road and take the service road back to the DPS office.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...egal!!!!/page7
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #27

Yeah, I know, everyone has 2 cents worth, BUT, I used the Carrollton Mega center and the crowd was enormous HOWEVER, not for taking the written test OR the driving test. In fact there were only 4 other people taking the written test for the classification we are discussing and I only waited 10 minutes, If you go there the testing is far right rear area. The driving test was a breeze with no walk around, 20 minute drive and showing how the dual tank air brakes are checked.

I got my appointment for the driving test and they were just about right on time. There are certain testers that do the non-cdl RV tests and they are not tied up too much with CDL inspectors. All in all pretty painless. The Only problem I ran into was that they tried to schedule my test at another facility quite a ways away. Spoke with the lady at the control desk, left inside main entrance, and it got fixed ASAP .

Good luck and hope this helps. If not the DEL key is usually upper right. ;-)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #28

Carrollton Mega Center (Dallas/Plano)
STREET ADDRESS
4600 State Highway 121
Carrollton, TX 75010
General Information
972-394-4530
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #29

This is one more reason not to live in Texas along with their Vehicle inspections.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
This is one more reason not to live in Texas along with their Vehicle inspections.
The fewer that permanently cross the border the better..........
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Its also very easy to book your appointment online. Just be there an hour early. They arent kidding about that. Also have all insurance and registration / inspection originals with you. They dont like copies. My insurance card doesn't list my 5th wheel, and they refused to call the 800 number. Had to reschedule.
Are you saying Texas requires separate liability insurance policies for both the truck and trailer?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Are you saying Texas requires separate liability insurance policies for both the truck and trailer?
My 5th wheel is listed as one of my vehicles on my auto policy. You have to have the same proof of insurance during your pre driving test inspection as you do when you get your trailer inspected for tag renewal.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #33

Quote:
My 5th wheel is listed as one of my vehicles on my auto policy. You have to have the same proof of insurance during your pre driving test inspection as you do when you get your trailer inspected for tag renewal.
That’s interesting. Around here there are no requirements to have any kind of insurance on a trailer...only on a vehicle with an engine. Sounds to me like Texas is getting too many California transplants with their bureaucratic ideas.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #34

Step 1 - complete

Ok, today I was able to complete step 1 of the process to get my Class A license. Went to the DPS office in Plano TX and after standing in line for 4 hrs and then waiting inside for 2 hrs, I was able to get up to an agent. Now here's where it got interesting. After I explained (multiple times) that I was trying to get a Class A non-CDL license so that I could legally drive a large combination vehicle over 26,000lbs, he was still completely lost as to what to do. So, he tracked down another agent who knew what I was after. I had the paperwork completed, took and passed the written test (18 out of 20 right) and got the ID needed to register for the driving test. It's no wonder this license requirement is very rarely enforced in Texas, as even the licensing bureau doesn't understand it.

Got my driving test scheduled for later in Feb at the Carrollton office, but will continue watching for earlier openings.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Ok, today I was able to complete step 1 of the process to get my Class A license. Went to the DPS office in Plano TX and after standing in line for 4 hrs and then waiting inside for 2 hrs, I was able to get up to an agent. Now here's where it got interesting. After I explained (multiple times) that I was trying to get a Class A non-CDL license so that I could legally drive a large combination vehicle over 26,000lbs, he was still completely lost as to what to do. So, he tracked down another agent who knew what I was after. I had the paperwork completed, took and passed the written test (18 out of 20 right) and got the ID needed to register for the driving test. It's no wonder this license requirement is very rarely enforced in Texas, as even the licensing bureau doesn't understand it.

Got my driving test scheduled for later in Feb at the Carrollton office, but will continue watching for earlier openings.
You got the hard part done!!
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #36

Quote:

Congratulations. Its funny, in Bowie, and Vernon, 2 or 3 person offices, they were completely up to speed on the RV license. In the Arlington super office, they didn't have a clue. Keep checking the website because people cancel. I went from two weeks out to the day after tomorrow within a couple of days of making my initial appointment. Are you saying you only had to take the one written test?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Congratulations. Its funny, in Bowie, and Vernon, 2 or 3 person offices, they were completely up to speed on the RV license. In the Arlington super office, they didn't have a clue. Keep checking the website because people cancel. I went from two weeks out to the day after tomorrow within a couple of days of making my initial appointment. Are you saying you only had to take the one written test?

Ya, Plano didn't have a clue. I am definitely watching the website for openings that fit my schedule (we're heading out for a 20+ day trip, so late February isn't that bad anyway). Even though my truck is registered through 10/19, I don't have the vehicle safety report on it, so I think I'll need to go spend $7 to get it inspected again. I've got the trailer report, but still waiting on the sticker for it. There's something on the website about taking an online course called "Impact Texas Drivers". Did you have to take that?

Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Ya, Plano didn't have a clue. I am definitely watching the website for openings that fit my schedule (we're heading out for a 20+ day trip, so late February isn't that bad anyway). Even though my truck is registered through 10/19, I don't have the vehicle safety report on it, so I think I'll need to go spend $7 to get it inspected again. I've got the trailer report, but still waiting on the sticker for it. There's something on the website about taking an online course called "Impact Texas Drivers". Did you have to take that?
There is no sticker for the trailer. The truck and the trailer are both in the system, but I got so angry they wouldn't just call to verify my insurance that I agitated the hornets nest. She was going to hold me to the line on everything after that. I bet you can get the inspection report online or from whoever inspected it. Never heard of the online course. Might be New. One test or two ??
Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #39

I own a class A GAS engine 24,000 lbs. Could I use that to obtain the class B driver license in TX or I have to have a diesel to do the test?

Once I have the class B driver license, could I use that to drive a diesel RV if I decided to upgrade my RV to diesel from the gas coach?
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #40

If I recall correctly you must have a test vehicle that weighs over 26,000 to drive for the test. Diesel or gas doesn't matter, the test is based on vehicle weight, not propulsion type. If your vehicle has air brakes know how to do a pressure leak down test.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a