Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Class A license for Texas

My license is due for renewal in March and I'm going to start the process to get my Non Commercial Class A at that time. Our rig consists of a an F350 dually with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and a Cedar Creek 36CK2 with a GVWR of 16,900lbs, so a Combined Gross weight of 30,900 lbs, way over the 26,000lb limit for the normal Class C license. I know it's not heavily enforced in Texas but I figure why risk it. Besides, it's only $11 for the application, a 20 question test and hopefully a simple "skills" test. Found a great write up on another site on the steps to follow to get this done that I'm following. If anyone on here from Texas has gone through this process, I'd love your to see your comments.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
My license is due for renewal in March and I'm going to start the process to get my Non Commercial Class A at that time. Our rig consists of a an F350 dually with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and a Cedar Creek 36CK2 with a GVWR of 16,900lbs, so a Combined Gross weight of 30,900 lbs, way over the 26,000lb limit for the normal Class C license. I know it's not heavily enforced in Texas but I figure why risk it. Besides, it's only $11 for the application, a 20 question test and hopefully a simple "skills" test. Found a great write up on another site on the steps to follow to get this done that I'm following. If anyone on here from Texas has gone through this process, I'd love your to see your comments.
After you take your written tests on chapters 6 and 14, 20 questions each, schedule your driving test at a small town license office. They will get you in quicker, are friendlier, and obviously, the roads and traffic are better for the driving test. I took mine in Vernon, TX, and it was an enjoyable experience.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
After you take your written tests on chapters 6 and 14, 20 questions each, schedule your driving test at a small town license office. They will get you in quicker, are friendlier, and obviously, the roads and traffic are better for the driving test. I took mine in Vernon, TX, and it was an enjoyable experience.

Thanks. I think I'm going to schedule my driving test at the Canton office. That's only 1 1/2hrs or so from my house.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #4

I have a class B license because I drive large fire trucks. Took the test in Corsicana but I've heard they no longer offer it there and many other offices. Confirm that Canton still offers it if you're not sure. 20 written question test as I recall and then the road test.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm going to schedule my driving test at the Canton office. That's only 1 1/2hrs or so from my house.
And Kudos to you for making an effort to be a better driver. I am not casting any stones here but I think a lot more people who jump into a big RV, whether a TT or a A or C pulling a toad, who have only ever driven a car or SUV should consider some form of training and preferably not on the interstate. I have personally seen several people cause a lot of damage to their own rigs just in parking lots, not to mention other "accidents" much more serious. When you are towing down the highway at 60 or 70 mph you really should have a good understanding of what could go wrong and what to do if it does happen.
Good luck with your test!
Flat towing 2017 Buick Envision
Blue Ox tow equipment
Mr. Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I have a class B license because I drive large fire trucks. Took the test in Corsicana but I've heard they no longer offer it there and many other offices. Confirm that Canton still offers it if you're not sure. 20 written question test as I recall and then the road test.
Thanks. Yes, Canton shows on the DPS site as one of the Class A test centers, abut I'll certainly call/double check before going out there.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, Canton shows on the DPS site as one of the Class A test centers, abut I'll certainly call/double check before going out there.
Its also very easy to book your appointment online. Just be there an hour early. They arent kidding about that. Also have all insurance and registration / inspection originals with you. They dont like copies. My insurance card doesn't list my 5th wheel, and they refused to call the 800 number. Had to reschedule.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Its also very easy to book your appointment online. Just be there an hour early. They arent kidding about that. Also have all insurance and registration / inspection originals with you. They dont like copies. My insurance card doesn't list my 5th wheel, and they refused to call the 800 number. Had to reschedule.

Good catch. Our insurance cards don't show the 5th wheel either. I'll have to print one up just for it.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Good catch. Our insurance cards don't show the 5th wheel either. I'll have to print one up just for it.
I took my whole damned policy after that. That was when I decided to go to a small town office.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #10

I've had a Tx cdl license for over 30 years and never heard of a non cdl class a license. So I googled it and it says that rv's driven for personal use are exempt. Just an fyi before you fork out the $$$$ for that license.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #11

The GVWR of my motorhome is over 26,001 so I have a Class B Exempt. RVers are not exempt from licensing requirements in Texas. We are Exempt from CDL Requirements.

"Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
Some farmers who meet certain criteria
Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
Military vehicle operators
Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook."
Old 01-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
The GVWR of my motorhome is over 26,001 so I have a Class B Exempt. RVers are not exempt from licensing requirements in Texas. We are Exempt from CDL Requirements.

"Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
Some farmers who meet certain criteria
Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
Military vehicle operators
Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook."

Yes, everything I read and Googled, says a vehicle or combination of vehicles over 26,000lb Combined weight, would need to have an Exempt Class A license.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, everything I read and Googled, says a vehicle or combination of vehicles over 26,000lb Combined weight, would need to have an Exempt Class A license.
I have a class B exempt because I won't be towing over 10,000. A class A exempt is for towing over 10,000 lbs. Think big pickup truck and large 5th wheel.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
I have a class B exempt because I won't be towing over 10,000. A class A exempt is for towing over 10,000 lbs. Think big pickup truck and large 5th wheel.

Your's is a class B because you have a single vehicle over 26,000 lbs. Mine needs to be a Class A because I will have a combination of vehicles over 26,000lbs (14,000lb Truck, 16,000lb 5th wheel).

Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
It will be a lot easier producing the license than explaining to the officer or your insurance company how they have misinterpreted the law. I had a state trooper tell me that it was within their power, yet not often practiced, to forbid you to proceed after producing a license without the endorsement, and to call a wrecker to remove the vehicle. There is also the question of your insurance company paying the claim if you are not properly licensed. As mentioned above, a little more education never hurt anyone.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Your's is a class B because you have a single vehicle over 26,000 lbs. Mine needs to be a Class A because I will have a combination of vehicles over 26,000lbs (14,000lb Truck, 16,000lb 5th wheel).
You are correct, but I could have applied for the Class A, but I do not plan to tow over 10,000 even though my coach can tow 20,000.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #17

Quote:
It will be a lot easier producing the license than explaining to the officer or your insurance company how they have misinterpreted the law. I had a state trooper tell me that it was within their power, yet not often practiced, to forbid you to proceed after producing a license without the endorsement, and to call a wrecker to remove the vehicle. There is also the question of your insurance company paying the claim if you are not properly licensed. As mentioned above, a little more education never hurt anyone.
Agree. Plus it's only $11, a short written test and hopefully an uneventful driving test. Seems like a good use of $11....

Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #18

I went through the process last year when I discovered that I needed the Texas class A license. I used the Austin office for the written tests, and the Georgetown office, just outside of Austin, for the driving part. The people at both locations were very friendly and accommodating. And for anyone who has been towing for a while, the driving test should be easy.
Lt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Jim View Post
I went through the process last year when I discovered that I needed the Texas class A license. I used the Austin office for the written tests, and the Georgetown office, just outside of Austin, for the driving part. The people at both locations were very friendly and accommodating. And for anyone who has been towing for a while, the driving test should be easy.
Did you have to parallel park? From what I've read, that seems to be hit or miss based on the location and/or examiner.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Did you have to parallel park? From what I've read, that seems to be hit or miss based on the location and/or examiner.
I did not have to parallel park in Houston.

Tags
class a