Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #1

Confused on weights

Hello All-

I get so confused figuring out all the different weights involved in towing a trailer. I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0 PSD 4X4 shortbed. I pull a Forest River Wildwood 31qbss that states the dry weight is 6660lbs, GVWR 10,965. I think an F250 can pull 12,500lbs. I have the Equalizer WDH. Am I pushing the limits of the truck with this one? Thanks.

LB
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #2

First off, please forget terms like "dry" or "shipping" weights. They are totally meaningless. Now as to what your truck can or cannot tow, only you can answer that. Lirst load the truck up like you would go camping and go to the scales for an accurate ready to camp weight. Subtract that from the trucks GVWR and GCWR numbers. The first can be found on the drivers door post, the second from the manufacturers web site or any Ford dealer can give it to you if you give them the Vin number. Now, subtract the scaled weight from the GCWR will tell you how much actual weight your truck can handle easily. Lastly, hook up the loaded trailer and go back to the scales for your actual ready to camp GCW. There is your answer.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #3

Don-

Is there any particular way to drive it onto the scales? I mean I have read where people say to drive it to a certain line to get the axle weight then drive the tv off leaving the trailer behind to get another weight etc etc...can I just drive the entire rig onto the scales and get one weight like you mentioned and work the numbers from there?
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #4

Go to this web site and it's all explained.

How to Weigh a Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

This one will do the math for you.

Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator

Look in the box for the Travel Trailer Calculator.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCBRADLEY View Post
Hello All-

I get so confused figuring out all the different weights involved in towing a trailer. I have a 2004 Ford F250 6.0 PSD 4X4 shortbed. I pull a Forest River Wildwood 31qbss that states the dry weight is 6660lbs, GVWR 10,965. I think an F250 can pull 12,500lbs. I have the Equalizer WDH. Am I pushing the limits of the truck with this one? Thanks.

LB
If you go here,

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...r_F250_350.pdf

you will see that pretty much any configuration in 2004 with a 6.0 will be safe with 12K LB. As everyone has stated tho, get an idea of what your loaded trailer weighs and what your loaded truck weighs to make sure you are within your GCWR and the GVWR & your rear GAWR of your truck when loaded up to camp.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
If you go here,

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...r_F250_350.pdf

you will see that pretty much any configuration in 2004 with a 6.0 will be safe with 12K LB. As everyone has stated tho, get an idea of what your loaded trailer weighs and what your loaded truck weighs to make sure you are within your GCWR and the GVWR & your rear GAWR of your truck when loaded up to camp.
Nice stats on the Fords but did you see the note at the end. This note from Ford should put "PAID" to the argument that all you need to worry about is the rear axle load. The GROSS Vehicle rating can not be exceeded either. So even though you have room to spare (weight wise) on the rear axle for a heavier king pin, if adding it pushes you over the top GVW wise you are overloaded. That is the reason the F250(SW) and the F350(SW) TOW ratings are the same. The GVW of the F350 is higher so you can carry more load (King pin, pax, and cargo in the truck).

Notes:
Trailer king pin weight should be 15-25% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer king pin weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to the towing vehicle. Addition of trailer king pin weight, and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote