Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Considering XLR Purchase. Towing Question.

Hey all! New to towing, new to trailers and toy haulers. Making sure I get all my ducks in a row before making a purchase! We just picked up a new side by side, so looking at a smaller toy hauler. Currently looking at an XLR Micro Boost 25LRLE.

Dry weight: 5012lbs
Gross weight: 7646lbs
Hitch weight: 768lbs

We would be putting an ~1850lb side by side in the garage space of the XLR.

Tow vehicle is a 2018 F-150, SuperCrew, 3.5L EcoBoost, 4x4. GVWR 7050lbs. Payload 1757lbs.

If I'm understanding correctly, the GVWR minus the trailer weight leaves us with 2038lbs remaining. Minus the side by side weight, we're at 188lbs remaining. Not much. Too little?

Again, total novice on these topics but tried to do some research before posting this.

Appreciate any advice and will continue to do some more reading!
Squally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Before towing that, I would weigh it carefully, especially in regards to how much weight is taken off the tongue when loading the quad into the XLR.
Too much weight in the rear of the trailer will cause sway.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Having towed heavy with a F 150 Max Tow version, not what you state. I had 1950 Cargo Capacity. I would caution you about this setup. You are over weight before you start. First no trailer comes in at stated weight. Go look at stickers on trailers . You have nothing left for beer, people in the truck, food clothes etc. Big Full Stop no Go.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

X2 - what’s the weight limit sticker say in the cargo area?
Does it have a fuel station? These tanks are normally behind the axel adding more weight to the cargo area.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

For the TV:
7,646 * .12 = 920 lbs. That's your hitch weight.

Figure you and your wife weight in at 350 lbs, fully clothed. Adjust as necessary.

Your WDH will be ~ 50 lbs. Add 230 lbs for other stuff in your bed, gasoline for the SBS, tools, firewood, stuff in the truck (bags, electronics, gear), stuff on the truck, pets, etc. Add more weight if you have kids.

920 + 350 + 50 + 230 = 1,550 lbs.

Seems like it will work OK to me, by the weights against your payload rating.

For the RV:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squally View Post
[...]
Dry weight: 5012lbs
Gross weight: 7646lbs

[...] We would be putting an ~1850lb side by side in the garage space of the XLR. [...]
That's only going to leave you with around 500 lbs of cargo for cookware, food, bedding, clothes, leveling gear, tools, and everything else in your trailer. Remember, the trailer as it rolls off the lot will be heavier than that fictional 5,012 lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squally View Post
[...] If I'm understanding correctly, the GVWR minus the trailer weight leaves us with 2038lbs remaining. Minus the side by side weight, we're at 188lbs remaining. Not much. Too little? [...]
I don't understand this question. You may be conflating weight in the trailer with the payload/gvwr of your truck.

Your truck's GVWR/payload is leveraged against on all the weight that is carried by the truck itself -- you, passengers, stuff in the bed, the truck itself, and any weight the trailer puts onto the truck via hitch.

Your trailer's GVWR is leveraged against all the weight on the actual trailer.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #6

I have this exact trailer and have found that with a "little" 600lb atv a foot too far back will make the back loose, unless your backing that side by side in I would be concerned.

Also, when I got the trailer I had an F150 with similar capacities, and power-wise it did fine but it tended to push the truck around and made for nervous travel. after four or five trips I now have an F250.
mdsnitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #7

Thank you, everyone! Looks like I have more thinking to do. Really the only qualifiers for the trailer I need is towable by my current truck (preferred not to upsize the truck) and able to fit a slightly more than 12’ side by side. Only two sleeping inside, plus a dog, so all that space isn’t crucial. I’d found a 22’ TH that would fit the SxS, but surprisingly it weighs about the same.
Squally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #8

This wouldn't bother me.

There are people dragging more with less truck than the Max Tow, and doing fine.
I'm dragging a 2015 26WFKSS Vlite, with a 2010 F150 SC4x4 5.4(a step under the Max Tow in 2010). You have a much better truck in mind, then what I'm using. Motor, tranny, and load carrying potential.
Our's is a very nose heavy trailer. #7000 loaded(front kitchen, two propane bottles in the front Vee, and twin batteries on the tongue. #975 TW.
Becareful how you load things, and load any heavier stuff(beer) in the trailer over the axles. Just keep the excess heavy stuff out of the truck bed.
You should have plenty of room with the GCVWR.

Like you, I wanted something I could drag without shopping a different truck. Based on my experience over the last 5 years, I wouldn't have any issues doing what I did again. Any trailer that took some weight off of the tongue and put it back over the axles would work even better. A toy hauler, should allow a lot of wiggle room for allowing you to customize the weight carried on the hitch. I'm stuck with what I have.

Be sure and find a good WDH, and set it up properly.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Having towed heavy with a F 150 Max Tow version, not what you state. I had 1950 Cargo Capacity. I would caution you about this setup. You are over weight before you start. First no trailer comes in at stated weight. Go look at stickers on trailers . You have nothing left for beer, people in the truck, food clothes etc. Big Full Stop no Go.
How do you figure he’s over Weight? That’s a light tow hauler.
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #10

I’ve pulled a 9500+ 35’ TT all over the country with my 2018 F150 Max Tow with zero problems. If you know how to load a trailer to keep it properly balanced, have a good WDH that is properly setup and actually understand how to modify your driving methods while towing (anticipate wind gusts from big rigs, allow more distance between the car in front of you, slow down, etc) you’ll be absolutely fine with your rig. This is coming from a guy that has owned multiple F250s and has a 2019 F450 in the drive right now, so I do speak from volumes of experience towing with larger tow vehicles as well.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, xlr