Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #1
Back to Shasta Camping...

Convex Mirror (Forklift Half Dome Convex Mirror) for 5th Wheel Towing with Short Bed

Friends,

DW knows how OCD I can be and with a trip coming up towing our Shasta Phoenix 5W from home to Ft Dix I have been pensive to say the least... In one of my periods of sleepless thoughts I thought about whether having a convex mirror mounted on the front of the truck bed box high enough to be viewable and angled such that it would provide sight on distance between truck cap and 5W cap would be possible...

In looking at something like this Forklift Half Dome ((9x4" Forklift Half Dome Mirror | The Convex Mirror Shop)). I would like to hear your thoughts and insight on whether you have tried or would consider something like this as a tool for manuevering a 5W with a shortbed TV. My thoughts are that with the attached mounting bracket it could be relatively easy to mount this to top edge of front side of truck box in either a permanent or semi-permanent manner.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Happy Travels.

Bill n Diana
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
--------------------------------------------------
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

I've never thought about something like that mirror but I think mounting that mirror on the truck box would create more problems. You would be more limited on how sharp you could turn as the trailer would come in contact with the mirror before getting close to the truck cap. I'm trying to think which side the mirror would be mounted on. On passenger side would be my side of choice so backing trailer into a site, you can watch trailer tires over your left shoulder. That being said you would have to look at the bed mounted mirror through the passenger side mirror and that mirror is convex already so everything in the second mirror is going to seem so far away. With box mounted mirror on drivers side you could see everything closer but then you are backing your trailer into a site on the "blind side".
If you decide to go ahead with this mirror, pics would be great to see. Hope this helps with your "sleepless thoughts!"
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Does the trailer still have potential to make contact with the Revolution kingpin?

Personally, I would just find a highschool parking lot on a saturday, take a spotter, and just put the whole rig through its paces. Find out how much you can turn before it is an issue and be good with it. I think once you know the limits, your anxiety will go down substantially. At least for me, it is the unknowns when towing that worry me.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, towing, wheel