Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Cotter Pin Cautionary Tale

We had a wonderful weekend trip in the TT this weekend, but had an eye-opener when we got home.

The weather turned hot and humid on Sunday and, while unhitching in the driveway, I pulled hard on the cotter pin that holds the hitchbolt in place. To my great surprise and consternation, the pin flew out of my sweaty hand, and I had no idea where it landed. It took us fifteen minutes to find the pin which had flown about ten feet away from me. Had this occurred upon arrival at a campsite, we would have been in a pickle if the cotter pin remained lost.

Today, I purchased extra cotter pins to keep on board the tt in my kit.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

I am a big fan of master locks, lol. All of my hitch items, save the 2 on the WDH tensioners, are master locks of some kind. Secure, easy to take off when you want, and hard to take off when you don't want. Just make sure to keep the keys in a safe place and always keep the spares in the glovebox...
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer
We had a wonderful weekend trip in the TT this weekend, but had an eye-opener when we got home.

The weather turned hot and humid on Sunday and, while unhitching in the driveway, I pulled hard on the cotter pin that holds the hitchbolt in place. To my great surprise and consternation, the pin flew out of my sweaty hand, and I had no idea where it landed. It took us fifteen minutes to find the pin which had flown about ten feet away from me. Had this occurred upon arrival at a campsite, we would have been in a pickle if the cotter pin remained lost.

Today, I purchased extra cotter pins to keep on board the tt in my kit.
Put a zip tie around pin and nearest hole then it surely wouldn't be lost
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

X2 on the locks. Those hitches are not cheap and should be kept secure.

X2 on the extra cotter pins as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Site Team

I carry extra cotter pins - much cheaper at Lowes than a RV store. Locks sounds like a good idea too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

I lock mine. Kids at a gas station took the cotter pin out (there's no way we could have forgotten to put it on right?) when I used to work construction. Trailer stayed in until a stop light, started out, pulled tight, bent chain holder, fell, bent jack, dented bumper, closed around the ball had to take it to a body shop and have them separated. Now I lock them when towing.

PS all you need is bailing wire the cotter pin is there to keep the main pin from falling out only.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

I always carry extra pins as I am known for taking one off and laying it on the bumper only to take a short drive somewhere and end up with no pin when it falls off the bumper.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Some good ideas discussed below... I also carry an extra pin & bolt.

Also, has anyone ever had their hitches stolen off their TV?

As Buffalohunter indicated, WDH's are especially expensive and could cause problems and delay if stolen while traveling. Cost to replace hitch, shank & ball would be at least $200.

For that reason, I remove and store when not actually using. However, haven't yet invested in a hitch pin lock (another key to keep up with)... perhaps should consider while it's on my mind.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
... (another key to keep up with)...
I keep all my WDH lock keys on my trailer keyset. I dont use the WDH for anything else. I use a Master Lock draw bar for normal utility trailer towing. It has a built in lock system for the pin and I just leave the key in it when it is stored under my rear seats:

Then all the spares go into the glovebox on a single keyring....just in case lol
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Team

I have a locking device for the hitch but after being rear ended I no longer drive around with it installed when not towing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Always drilled the hitch pins out so they would accept a Master padlock and always padlocked the hitch or hitch cover on and carried the key on the vehicle key fob.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Anacortesians

For the benefit of our UK members, a "Cotter Pin" in US terminology is what's called a "Split Pin" in the UK. It isn't the kind of tapered pin that holds the pedal cranks on a bicycle (not sure what those are called over here).

I'm a bit surprised that people re-use the pins. In engineering school, we were told they were single use only, as the ends that you split apart will fatigue and break off if repeatedly bent and straightened.