Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #41

Zolin, Just for my satisfaction today I rode through the dealer from which I purchased my Windjammer. All the couplers on the windjammers were welded on the top of the frame. They must have had at least 15 Jammers on the lot.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #42

I am waiting on a Rockwood 8310SS. And after reading all the problems and concerns with coupler height I am wondering what will be on mine? Since all this info I began checking hitch mount locations via the web and on dealers lots and notice they were all over the place some on top some on bottom on the same year and model TT. Does any one know why they do this ? Is one better then the other ? I have had several TT's and all were top mounted hitches. I hope this new one comes in with a top mount. Like I said I've seen them both ways . Should I be concerned if Its a bottom mount???
Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #43

The only issue I had with my bottom mount was ground clearance. My tt towed fine, but with a bottom mount along with the wd bars, to me ground clearance could be an issue. I have a pretty stout f250 that has a beefy suspension,so the TV was not the issue. I should have measured the clearance but I did not. My unit was born with a top mount coupler, which was defective . The dealer had a local welding/trailer repair facility repair the TT, they installed a bottom mount hitch, the wd hitch had to be adjusted, that was when the ground clearance issue arose. So on their dime they replaced it again with a top mount. Problem solved. The dealer was nothing short of outstanding on this issue. (Dodd RV of Virginia ) I don't see what a few inches could make that much difference but it did.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #44

Chuck,

Thanks for checking that out. I too have looked at several dealers but no V-nose on the lot. They actually sell pretty good around here. But most of the TT's were top mounted couplers. I'm guessing they make those low couplers for low riding balls such as a van or other. Tire issue first, then I'll go back to coupler. Found the Atwood top mount for $41 with free shipping.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #45

Keep us posted as to how the hitch is going. I am taking my Jammer to the dealer on Thursday to have my hitch adjusted. It was adjusted originally for my gasser f250, during the off season I upgraded to a newer diesel f250 that sits about 2-3 inches higher than my old vehicle. I believe I will probably need to purchase another drop mount that will give me that extra length that I think I will need. I could probably adjust it, but this way any problems its on the dealer. Its a shame that I never measured the coupler height on my jammer when it is sitting level, I probably would not have to go through this.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #46

You will love that power stroke. I pulled my Jammer with a 2014 power stroke and when I had to step on it to move into traffic it squealed and peeled those back tires. Scared me how those 800 lbs of torque could do that attached to my camper. Will let everyone know how it goes.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v-lite, windjammer