Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 12:04 AM   #1

Coupler latch question

I'm totally new to travel trailers and just picked up a 2018 r-pod 179. The guys had a hard time getting the 2" ball seated in the coupler when loading it for me to tow home. I inspected the coupler when I got home after unhooking and noticed there is very little movement between the coupler in the locked and unlocked position. Is this normal? On my other small trailer, the coupler moves down quite a bit when unlocked and up a bit when locked.
Taylor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:04 AM   #2

If your coupler looks like this it may need to be adjusted.
This image is from E-Trailer and I think there are instructions there.
Attached Images

Mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:10 AM   #3

I really can't say about yours without seeing it ...........

Some can be adjusted some can not.

I own six trailers and all six are a little different as the hitches are different manufacturers. I will say the heavier trailers are harder to "seat" the ball as the trailers don't move.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I really can't say about yours without seeing it ...........

Some can be adjusted some can not.

I own six trailers and all six are a little different as the hitches are different manufacturers. I will say the heavier trailers are harder to "seat" the ball as the trailers don't move.

X2
Some can, some cannot and there were some threads on here a few years ago where the ball socket (with a non-adjustable latch) was formed too small and made hitching a chore.

Without us seeing it, we can only give guesses.
Some may pertain, some may not.

Are you using any kind of lube?

I'm not sure what you are describing about your other trailer but you certainly don't want enough play where the hitch could come off the ball.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:57 AM   #5

It is the style like the one in the diagram posted. I'm attaching a photo of the adjustment nut. It doesn't look to have much room to take out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240228_032440316.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	297302  
Old 02-28-2024, 09:16 AM   #6

needs lubrication...

Squirt your favorite penetrating oil in/under there to WASH out any dirt and crap

THEN lube it with some light smear of grease
----------------------------------------------------------------

NO POSTS on wd40 or other sprays ........... not being a lubricant
I said clean it out with the spray then use light grease!
Old 02-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
needs lubrication...

Squirt your favorite penetrating oil in/under there to WASH out any dirt and crap

THEN lube it with some light smear of grease
----------------------------------------------------------------

NO POSTS on wd40 or other sprays ........... not being a lubricant
I said clean it out with the spray then use light grease!
I agree! I clean my coupler using a generous amount of spray brake cleaner. You'll be surprised at the black crap that is washed out. Then a dab of whatever grease is handy on the ball.

Yes, Water Displacement 40 is not a good long-term lubricant.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:02 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor29 View Post
I'm totally new to travel trailers and just picked up a 2018 r-pod 179. The guys had a hard time getting the 2" ball seated in the coupler when loading it for me to tow home. I inspected the coupler when I got home after unhooking and noticed there is very little movement between the coupler in the locked and unlocked position. Is this normal? On my other small trailer, the coupler moves down quite a bit when unlocked and up a bit when locked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor29 View Post
It is the style like the one in the diagram posted. I'm attaching a photo of the adjustment nut. It doesn't look to have much room to take out.
To clarify, is the problem getting the coupler to slide over the ball or is the problem latching the lever once the coupler is on the ball?

If the lever latches OK once on the ball, then the adjustment nut needs no adjustment. If the ball won't slide up into the coupler with the latch OPEN, then lube will certainly help. Again, there were some posts a few years ago about the coupler socket being forged too small making ball insertion difficult.

You will get lots of advice about using a lubricant on the hitch ball but every major ball manufacturer sells ball lube, for a reason.
I'm not saying you must use theirs, just use something. Even a sheet of waxed paper is better than nothing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
To clarify, is the problem getting the coupler to slide over the ball or is the problem latching the lever once the coupler is on the ball?
The problem is getting the coupler to slide over the ball. In the open position, the latch's underjaw barely changes position vs the closed position.

I took the whole latch assembly off and the underjaw was lodged up inside the coupler housing. I cleaned and greased, but the underjaw would not fit inside the housing to allow proper movement. It seemed to be too large to fit in the housing and slide smoothly. I can jam it up there, but that recreates the problem. It may need a new coupler welded to the frame.

Thank you everyone for your advice!
Old 03-02-2024, 01:04 PM   #10

Possible damage from being forced on?

Any obvious signs of deformed metal?
Mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokurt View Post
Possible damage from being forced on?

Any obvious signs of deformed metal?
Interesting thought. Someone delivering the trailer, or moving it at the dealership may have forced that down onto a 2-5/16 ball rather than tracking down a 2" one.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Interesting thought. Someone delivering the trailer, or moving it at the dealership may have forced that down onto a 2-5/16 ball rather than tracking down a 2" one.
5/16 is a huge difference in the hitch world. I don’t think you could ever force 2 inch over 2-5/16.

Here’s an idea. Just replace the darn hitch. They don’t cost a lot and if it’s not welded you can do it yourself.

If this were billable time Ive spent more time reading this thread than it would cost.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupler, question